Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a 4" Diamond Eye Turbo Back DPF delete exhaust with muffler installed, would like it to be quieter. Still to loud with the muffler, any ideas on what I can do to quiet it down? I like the turbo whistle but would like it to sound like stock. I've heard of adding another muffler. Please help, thanks!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Put the cats back on it

·
Registered
568 Posts
Why doyou not like how loud it is?

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Dang man. You'd die in a 6.0L. My straight pipe 6.4L is hardy audible in the cab. But I plan on eventually muffling it.

I would check to make sure you installed the muffler the correct direction. Most modern bolt on kits have two different ways to install the muffler, one is louder and one is quieter.

Other than thatc you have two options: throw on another free flowing 4" muffler, or add a 30" resonator from FTE. The resonator will probably get rid of the hair dryer noise, and allow the turbo to still sing a little bit. A second muffler would probably get it back to stock sound level, but just sound a little better.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have the Aero turbin muffler and it softens up the sound nicely.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Go back to stock if you want a stock sound. It's an aftermarket exhaust. No one buys an exhaust to sound like the stock exhaust, that would just be a waste of money.

Sounds like the OP jumped on the tune bandwagon without doing any homework... Sorry.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Go back to stock if you want a stock sound. It's an aftermarket exhaust. No one buys an exhaust to sound like the stock exhaust, that would just be a waste of money.

Sounds like the OP jumped on the tune bandwagon without doing any homework... Sorry.
such a silly statement... plenty of people buy an exhaust to sound like stock! They just want it to flow correctly.

you can tune a truck without making noise. sounds like you're the one on the bandwagon :eek:

to the OP: get you a 51" Donaldson PN M090544

you can get it here:

RYDER FLEET

You can also incorporate a 4" glasspack up towards the front of the truck. That will eat up some turbo noise and further reduce resonance

something like: THIS

HTH

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
for stock sound levels and better flow, a DPF/Cat delete on a stock exhaust would have been the best choice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not a waste of money to put on an aftermarket exhaust, nothing wrong with wanting to breath and make it flow better. I did not by an aftermarket exhaust to make loud noise. I did do my homework and knew that it would be louder, just looking for ideas to help quiet it down. I know that I will not be able to make it sound like stock, I do a lot of hunting therefore I don't want a loud exhaust. I didn't jump the tune bandwagon, have talked to a lot of people and read a lot of posts. We go to these forums looking for help, advice or opinions but not to be negative. This forum has been a wealth of information. To everybody that have been helpful, I thank you!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
such a silly statement... plenty of people buy an exhaust to sound like stock! They just want it to flow correctly.
REALLY? Please, everyone who bought a turbo-back exhaust so it could sound like stock come and support the silly statement of drunk on d.

With as many exhaust options as there are for this truck, and the turbo-back being on the maxxed out end of those options... To me it seems like the OP would basically have to undo all the benefits of the turbo-back (if there are any) to get back to where he was from the get go. As said by blackcloud2k, a DPF delete would have been the FAR better choice.

Maybe the OP should take a good look at the removed parts to see what was responsible for the stock sound he so covets...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
It's not a waste of money to put on an aftermarket exhaust, nothing wrong with wanting to breath and make it flow better. I did not by an aftermarket exhaust to make loud noise. I did do my homework and knew that it would be louder, just looking for ideas to help quiet it down. I know that I will not be able to make it sound like stock, I do a lot of hunting therefore I don't want a loud exhaust. I didn't jump the tune bandwagon, have talked to a lot of people and read a lot of posts. We go to these forums looking for help, advice or opinions but not to be negative. This forum has been a wealth of information. To everybody that have been helpful, I thank you!

Oh, sorry, I guess I misunderstood when you said
I like the turbo whistle but would like it to sound like stock.
And as much homework as you said you did, the hair-dryer sound that we all got should be worn as a badge of courage! No one is being negative, but the fact is to remove an exhaust and replace it with a pipe, a turbo-back pipe at that, and then try to stuff in various restrictors into said pipe, is pointless.

I'm just curious as to who you talked to or which posts you read that advised you to get the exhaust you did without being "loud" or being able to maintain the "stock sound." I am certain that in this forum the consensus would have been a delete pipe and not a turbo-back.

Good luck to you in your efforts... :ORG welcome:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
uhh... I didn't say most people, I said plenty...

do a google search on 51" Donaldson, and guess what you'll find? PLENTY of people wanting a QUIET free flowing exhaust

The guy asked about how to get his truck quiet with good flow and all you did was insult him. :doh:

REALLY? Please, everyone who bought a turbo-back exhaust so it could sound like stock come and support the silly statement of drunk on d

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Google?... This is POWERSTROKE! How about we stick on topic and do a Google search to find those plenty of people who want a quiet 4" Diamond Eye Turbo Back DPF delete exhaust.

Actually, to split hairs, he asked how to get his recently installed turbo-back exhaust quiet... Which tells me he wanted max flow... Installed the system... Then found out about the mighty WHOOSH... And is now willing to reduce the flow to quiet it down... Which, guess what, I could care less how he spends his money on a frankenstein mod... But for anyone else fortunate enough to come to this thread, I have no problem saying that if you want to tune and enhance your truck and still want a quiet exhaust... THIS IS NOT THE ROUTE TO GO... Mechanically or financially.

The advice is free, the insults are free, no refunds will be offered.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Can we please knock off the insults guys? Please be respectful to the OP's question. If you have advice or opinions on how to help him please share... but leave the rude comments out of it.

Thanks... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts