Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gonna get 4:88 gears but I am planing on getting the spartan 200 and 250hp tune very soon ( whenever that may be) will I still need to do the gears?

any advantages of tuner and 4:88 or wast of cash?

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
so I would be better off getting the 4:88... would I lose performance by doing this? I know mileage will increase...
highway millage will decrease since your RPM's will be a bit higher.... you will not lose power you will actually gain low end torque. by installing lower gears you are basically putting back the truck to stock specifications. your speedo will still be off if you havnt fixed it but your shift points should be around what it would be at stock.

it will be less wear and tear on your drivetrain.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah to bad wifey does not agree wit my addiction, everytime I add a mod I have to get her something so this is retarded expensive :tard:

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I am curious as to how changing gear would effect my mileage?

Right now I have 3.73's with 37's....no its not like stock but with the tuning, and exhaust mods, I can spin the tires on pavement so I am not sure I am "lacking" bottom end...yeah...gears would get me more but if its going to kill my mileage then I dont need more, I have plenty of power on tap.

However I have installed gears in a 1/2 ton that I ran 37's on...it was 3.55 stock, I went up to around 4.50's or so I think, and I actually got 1-2mpg better mileage.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I was gonna get 4:88 gears but I am planing on getting the spartan 200 and 250hp tune very soon ( whenever that may be) will I still need to do the gears?

any advantages of tuner and 4:88 or wast of cash?
What size tires do you have? 4.88's are huge ring gears. I wouldn't go that big unless you got 40's or bigger. 38's go with 4.56 or even 4.30.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
I am curious as to how changing gear would effect my mileage?

Right now I have 3.73's with 37's....no its not like stock but with the tuning, and exhaust mods, I can spin the tires on pavement so I am not sure I am "lacking" bottom end...yeah...gears would get me more but if its going to kill my mileage then I dont need more, I have plenty of power on tap.

However I have installed gears in a 1/2 ton that I ran 37's on...it was 3.55 stock, I went up to around 4.50's or so I think, and I actually got 1-2mpg better mileage.
it will effect your millage because your RPM's will go up higher... lets say your at 1800rpm at 70mph... when you change gears you will go up to around 2100ish....

higher RPM's on highway means less MPG.

now on city driving you might gain some since its taking less engine power to turn the tires. I saw a jump on my city driving but a decrease in my highway unless i can keep it under 2krpms which right now is around 67mph at 2krpm

its a good idea to regear for the mere fact that its taking off excess stress on your drivetrain. i wouldn't do it for a reason to get mpg back but as a preventative measure to make your stock drivetrain components last longer

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts