Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two different lifts and I want some opinions and a few answers. It is between an Icon 4.5in stage 3 and a Carli coilover setup. The Icon I heard is good but for a bit extra I get coilovers and a new set of rear leafs. One question is I want PMF traction bars but if i get new rear leafs which size block do I need to get to fit traction bars. I emailed Carli but still no response. Opinions on the setups please.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am looking at two different lifts and I want some opinions and a few answers. It is between an Icon 4.5in stage 3 and a Carli coilover setup. The Icon I heard is good but for a bit extra I get coilovers and a new set of rear leafs. One question is I want PMF traction bars but if i get new rear leafs which size block do I need to get to fit traction bars. I emailed Carli but still no response. Opinions on the setups please.
what size leafs you getting? if 4.5 lift your either going no block or stock spring height correct? maybe ask PMF, I bet they deal with that all day long and prob have better anwsers than Carli,lol

·
Registered
676 Posts
PMF can also put together a complete lift for you. That's what I've got, using Icon springs and shocks.

·
Vendor
2,357 Posts
I woudl suggest the Carli Pintop 2.5 kit over the coilover setup. It actually has more travel and rides about the same. The advantage to the coilover kit is it allows you to add a second bypass shock (very expensive and not needed for 95% of the guys out there). If your plans are to upgrade to the full Carli rear leafs I would run it without any traction aids at first to see if you even need to add traction bars. Since their leaf pack does a better job of controlling axle wrap and eliminates the factory block altogether, the wheel hop is greatly dimished if not eliminated. I still run my factory leafs with Carli mini packs and F350 blocks and while I still have some axle wrap the wheelhop is pretty much gone and the shifting feel is a ton better. That is when running the H&S Hot tunes.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Tough call. Both are of the highest quality components, you cant make a bad decision either way. We have not done the Carli Coilovers here at the shop, but we have done that same kit with the Bilstein 7100's and it rode/handled very well. The ICON setup, however, seems to ride a bit softer than Carli. Im not saying thats better or worse, just an observation we made here at the shop.

As far as the rear goes, how much do you tow? If you tow often and pretty heavy, I would leave the factory springs in the rear. The bars may not be necessary unless you plan on running higher HP.

Feel free to give us a holler, we sell/install both Carli and ICON kits. If you plan on installing it yourself we can also help walk you through any problems you may have.

·
Registered
520 Posts
What about pro comp? Are they any good?

2008 F-350 CCLB all stock for now... Deleting and tuning with Vivian's looney street soon.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Oops sorry wrong thread I had a lift thread too. But I guess question stands lol

2008 F-350 CCLB all stock for now... Deleting and tuning with Vivian's looney street soon.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Tough call. Both are of the highest quality components, you cant make a bad decision either way. We have not done the Carli Coilovers here at the shop, but we have done that same kit with the Bilstein 7100's and it rode/handled very well. The ICON setup, however, seems to ride a bit softer than Carli. Im not saying thats better or worse, just an observation we made here at the shop.

As far as the rear goes, how much do you tow? If you tow often and pretty heavy, I would leave the factory springs in the rear. The bars may not be necessary unless you plan on running higher HP.

Feel free to give us a holler, we sell/install both Carli and ICON kits. If you plan on installing it yourself we can also help walk you through any problems you may have.
Interesting observation... We just had a customer bring his ICON 4.5" Stage 5 lift in after 20 days to swap for a Carli pintop as the ride was too stiff for him. If it was softer it very well could've been the 4-Link.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I would go with the Icon setup along with the One Up Offroad ALA arms. Increased steering radius over stock, tighter steering, without that wander from the factory arms, and extensive castor adjustments. In my opinion the only way to lift the newer trucks. I have a very similar setup on my truck.

and then I would go with the One Up Offroad traction blocks/bars.

Just finished helping my friend put this exact setup on my friends 2000 and we put 2008 running gear under it. Turned out awesome.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was more comparing to rough country or skyjacker I have herd skyjacker and pro comp are a middle quality lift RC a lower quality and icon and carli the top tier just wondering if a pro comp or skyjacker may be better that RC

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
If you want to make that classification.... Honestly, We offer budget systems up to full-kill off-road suspensions. Quality should be a concern and considering our starter system comes with the same hard parts that our pintop 2.5 comes with but for thousands less, it gives you room to upgrade shock packages later down the road for a better performing, top tier suspension system!

Either way, you want the building blocks of the suspension to be quality as they serve as the foundation of your truck's suspension. If you have the budget for a Pro Comp, I would strongly sugest you consider a Carli starter system and save yourself the headache down the road...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would call trevor at PMF and get a price on a 4.5" kit from him using Icon springs and 5160's with his 3 link arms in the front and traction blocks in the rear. I love my set up from him! as far as springs go I would like to know the spring rate that Carli uses and compare that to the Icon spring rate. I would bet they are pretty close and the big difference in ride comes from shock tuning!:beer:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. Tons of help. I have decided on the 4.5 pin top setup from carli. I also wanted to know the difference and benefits of a 3-link vs. a 4-link vs. a radius arm drop.

·
Vendor
2,357 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Tons of help. I have decided on the 4.5 pin top setup from carli. I also wanted to know the difference and benefits of a 3-link vs. a 4-link vs. a radius arm drop.
I would go with the radius drop bracket/cross memeber that comes with the 4.5" Carli kits. They developed their coils and shock valving around that and changing to a different arm setup may not yield the same ride/performance.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
I agree with Skyd Ram. The combination of the stock radius arm and King shocks makes for a very smooth, controlled ride that handles like a sports car. There's nothing else like it out there.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the pin-top kit on my 2008. I can honestly say it rides much better than any other F250 I have ridden in. I have zero experience with Icon or PMF, their products look top notch too, so I am certainly not an unbiased resource.

I will give you this; when I see R/R tracks or intersections with bumps, humps and ripples... I don't slow down, I accelerate. I wanted an F250 Raptor, and that is what I got with the Carli kit.

Also, I did the install myself. The instructions are OK from Carli, but feel free to shoot me a PM. There are a few tips/tricks to know if you have never done one of these. And I can recommend one or two things that should go along with the kit.

8lug / SkydRam is a great guy to deal with, fantastic customer service.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright thanks for all the help guys. I am gonna go with the Carli Pintop. Ridesdirt is you could tell me what other accessories I need that would be awesome cause I will be doing the install myself also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts