Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody elses truck shift from 4-5 pretty early. Seems like im in 5th gear doing like 35-40 mph.

Also, is there an overdrive in 5th and 6th gear? it seems like the torque converter locks in 5th and 6th gear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine seems to interchange the order. Sometimes it skips 5 altogether. I think it's designed that way depending on load .

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish they would have extended the 5-6th shift from 45 to 50-55mph. My old 2004 6.0 also shift into 5th at 45mph. It seems like they added a 6th gear but did just added it to the lower end.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Mine seems to interchange the order. Sometimes it skips 5 altogether. I think it's designed that way depending on load .

Don't you have a 6.0? You only have 5 gears.

That's the way everything is now, shift early to "maximize" fuel economy. My truck also hit 6th around 40-45mph, it depends on the throttle position too obviously.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i got a 6.7 diesel with the 6 speed.

Thats what I have been told, shift early to maximize fuel economy. I guess I just need to get used to it thats all.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If you looked, I didn't quote you, the other guy just got a 6.0.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
You can always revert to manual shifting. I hardly do (too lazy) buts it's a nice feature to have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lol not my first 6.0 just back from the ram trucks as of late. And my trucks computer clearly shows the 6 forward gears on the transmission. One is hidden on the namesake but I can see all six being commanded here on mine

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lol not my first 6.0 just back from the ram trucks as of late. And my trucks computer clearly shows the 6 forward gears on the transmission. One is hidden on the namesake but I can see all six being commanded here on mine

From what i can tell my 4th shouldn't be used as it is on my truck . Maybe related to two dead batteries the truck has. Low voltage in system detected. I checked batteries and both are reading just over 10V. Surprised she even started at all. Once running gets to 13.4 but the moment alternator is off battery voltage drops immediately. Off to buy a couple more batteries i guess.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When it's below a certain temperature there is a "hidden" gear that's used to help warm up, but in reality it's only 5.

·
Premium Member
11,637 Posts
The 6R140 is a true 6 speed. 5th and 6th are both overdrive gears. If you push the "upshift" button on the shift lever it will light up the selected gear display and show the current gear. I'm running a delayed shift TCM tune and the 4-5 shift is at ~45 on light throttle, 5-6 is at ~55. The converter will lock in 3rd through 6th on my tune. Not sure where the stock tune locks at.

http://www.dieselhub.com/trans/6r140-torqshift.html

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The 6R140 is a true 6 speed. 5th and 6th are both overdrive gears. If you push the "upshift" button on the shift lever it will light up the selected gear display and show the current gear. I'm running a delayed shift TCM tune and the 4-5 shift is at ~45 on light throttle, 5-6 is at ~55. The converter will lock in 3rd through 6th on my tune. Not sure where the stock tune locks at.

Ford 6R140 TorqShift Transmission Specs & Ratios
This whole thread if F'ed lol. The 2nd guy who commented owns a 6.0, I don't think he realized he was in the 6.7 section, talking about his imaginary 6 speed. I commented because I saw his "back in a 6.0" post so I was informing him he does not have a 6 speed. Technically it "is," but it isn't.

·
Premium Member
11,637 Posts
This whole thread if F'ed lol. The 2nd guy who commented owns a 6.0, I don't think he realized he was in the 6.7 section, talking about his imaginary 6 speed. I commented because I saw his "back in a 6.0" post so I was informing him he does not have a 6 speed. Technically it "is," but it isn't.
Yeah, I got that. Just sharing some info with the OP. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My bad,i was wrong. wasn't reading haha. I'll get back to my imaginary 6 speed lol.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol I just re read everything, the second poster definitely has a 6.0 with a 5 speed.

Any who........

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just push the tow haul mode so it holds the gear a little longer. I got used to doing this in my RAM because it would shift way to early and then lug the motor to much.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stupid emissions, wrecks everything.

·
Premium Member
11,637 Posts
stupid emissions, wrecks everything.
You can run emissions compliant PCM tunes along with a modified TCM tune or just run TCM tunes alone with the stock PCM tune.

The emissions compliant tunes are pretty good now. You still have to deal with the regens, DEF and the associated crap that come along with the SCR/DPF system, but you can enjoy a bump in performance too.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
from ford?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts