Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question to the 4.4% of people using the Diablo Predator. How do you like this tool? The reseason why I'm asking is I have one of these programmers and want to know your experience using them. Everything that I read is that they do not work and cause problems. Do they really have all the problems that every forum say they do. Would like to hear from people using them.

·
Registered
634 Posts
This is probably not what you are looking for but I have never personally used one. But my buddy at work put one on his 2004 F350 right after he drove it off the lot. At 10,000 km he melted a piston. No way to prove that the predator caused it though.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I know someone who blew 2 motors using one of those. Moron didnt learn the first time.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
well on 40s i can murder my buddies truck on 33s both 6.0 pickups mine gear head tunes his diablo

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Granny used to run a predator. If I remember it right she blames it for trashing her tranny. This was way back when she actually had a stock motor...

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Granny used to run a predator. If I remember it right she blames it for trashing her tranny. This was way back when she actually had a stock motor...
Tranny, and headgaskets.

The diablo predator has another nickname.

The pukator

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4.4%

Thanks for the in put, but I have already read those statements about Diablo tuners, a friend of a friend or my friend. I know that the SCT is the one to use, but what I'm trying to get too is the people who have used them or are using them. The poll stated that there were 4.7% of truck owers using is tuner. I don't want to pay $450.00 for SCT when I have a tuner and if it works for the 4.7% why not. Everything I read on these forums it states that if you check your EGT, ECT, EOT, and Boost you should be ok. I have also read that you should do this with SCT as well. I have a questions, couldn't any tuner cause problems with your truck if abused?

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
If abused, yes...

Sounds like you've got your mind made up. If you treat it right you most likely won't have any issues. If you like to play, be prepared (like with any performance tuner). All we're saying is the SCT is safer for your truck than the predator. If you're looking for someone to justify the choice it seems you've already made, you probably won't have much luck.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
If abused, yes...

Sounds like you've got your mind made up. If you treat it right you most likely won't have any issues. If you like to play, be prepared (like with any performance tuner). All we're saying is the SCT is safer for your truck than the predator. If you're looking for someone to justify the choice it seems you've already made, you probably won't have much luck.
well put... I can see the future now new thread...HELP PUKING COOLANT WHATS WRONG????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm far from my mind being made up, thanks. Until I hear from someone who has ran the Preda-puke maybe then I can make a choice. Just a bit of info my truck had gaskets replaced in a stock tune. I'm just trying to see other points of views. I know where you guys stand and thanks. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but would like to know how the other 4.7% are doing with Diablo.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
I'm far from my mind being made up, thanks. Until I hear from someone who has ran the Preda-puke maybe then I can make a choice. Just a bit of info my truck had gaskets replaced in a stock tune. I'm just trying to see other points of views. I know where you guys stand and thanks. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but would like to know how the other 4.7% are doing with Diablo.
4.0 of that 4.7% more than likely switched to SCT

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
the 4.7 percent are too stupid to know about the forum and they bought this cause google said it was good. It is like a banks programmer it sounds really sweet but then 1 year later something goes pop.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
the 4.7 percent are too stupid to know about the forum and they bought this cause google said it was good. It is like a banks programmer it sounds really sweet but then 1 year later something goes pop.
LOL I bought mine cause the salesman at NADP told me it was his best selling unit for the 6.0.....I decided to try SCT and never went back.
Lots of people have made this mistake.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I ran one on my 03 for 30k miles. The motor ran really strong, but the tranny was all over the place. some times it would shift decent, some times it would flare real bad. I drove it easy most of the time, so I never broke anything. I traded it in on my 06. It was puking a little water on the degas bottle (white residue around degas cap.) I never had to add any water in 30k. Running without a trailer on trips would get 19 mpg in the economy setting. I bought it because it was one of the first to tune tranny. no other programmers were available, some were running edge products,and reporting frying trannys left and right. With the options available now, I wouldn't recommend it. I run a livewire on my 05 ex and a superchip 1706 on my 06.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, S&W 460 XVR's I was starting to think that the poll was a farce.

Alwil,
You stated that you had ran the Diablo, what made you change to SCT? Just trying to understand why.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I really hated the way it shifted....seemed way to hard, I could load the 100hp tune and drive it for a month and the shifting would never get any softer.
I was never really impressed with the power I got out of it...so after reading a lot of posts on here I decided to try SCT.
Bought a used tuner on here and bought my first tune.....I never looked back after that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Alwil, very good input. By any chance did you have gages at the time you were running the Diablo tunes? If so can you remember what kind of temps you were getting or were they about nomal? (EGT, ECT, or EOT)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
the predator works alot better on the shelf i have one on my shelf and i dont want to sell it to anyone cause i would feel to bad. but hey thats just me

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The SCT can be custom tuned so it is guaranteed not to suck and not to ruin anything if you treat it well.

The diablo or super chips or edge tuner or banks are all in the same boat. Ok but basically are not that good. Just get an SCT and custom tune it and never look back.

I have tried everything on my 7.3 and custom tuning was the best thing ever. I used edge super chips and banks they all suck compared to anything. Diablo is the only one I have no experience with but if it comes in a box and the sell it at a normal store it is not that good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DerekU,
I would like to just go out and buy a $450 tuner with custom tunes. I have a tuner maybe not the one that the majority likes, but I just wanted to see if it was worth using or just leaving my truck with the factory tune. That's why I asked if anyone knows first hand about the Diablo tuner. I know the newer tuners are better and safer, but if I have something for free and it's not going to really cause me problems then why not use it. So what if it's under power, if it saves me MPG's then maybe I can save money to get one of those SCT everyone brags about. The poll stated that there were 4.7% of people using Diablo. I'm starting to think the poll was made up.

Cory S,
If you don't mind me asking why didn't you like the Diablo? Please keep in mind I have a 6.0L not a 7.3.

I guess if I had your guys is money I would burn mine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts