Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
I dont really tow a whole lot of weight yet (bought truck for future use towing) My truck has an E4OD and 4:10 gears. In the quest to get some higher highway speeds and better fuel range would swaping the 4:10 to some 3:73 be worth while? Will i loose anything power or capacity wise? Will the truck turn into a dog on the road? I want to do a cummins conversion in a few years and they recommend to go to the smaller gears anyway. so would it be ok to just go anead and do it now? thanks for the help fellas
matt z

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
I'm actually going to be doing the same thing in the interest of fuel mileage and freeway speed. I also have the 4:10 gearing. I don't think it will lose any pulling or towing capacity, the 3:73 is a good gear too. It's not going to "pull right out of the box" so to speak like the 4:10 but once you get your load moving it will be fine, afterall it's still a dually!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
With the cost of fuel and the cost of swapping gears. I would say no it is not worth it. Your looking at close to 800-1000 in parts, then you have labor of installing the gears. The difference will be minimal and in my opinion not worth the cost of swapping gears.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
With the cost of fuel and the cost of swapping gears. I would say no it is not worth it. Your looking at close to 800-1000 in parts, then you have labor of installing the gears. The difference will be minimal and in my opinion not worth the cost of swapping gears.
:sofa: Holly smokes it's that much?

I just called and got a quote, $1,450 + tax

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
yup...and even then it depends on your area....I've seen $800 in parts,...and a garage charge 1K for each axle

Total of $2,800....I think this price was the worse I ever saw....lol....

I ended up changing them myself....kinda

·
Registered
663 Posts
I remember seeing a guy that put an ad to swap axles with another guy, free swap for both parties, I'd give that a thought if ya really want to do it.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Yeah you might be better off selling your axle outright and then buy an axle with the 3.73 gearing at a local junk yard.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Yeah you might be better off selling your axle outright and then buy an axle with the 3.73 gearing at a local junk yard.
man that's a tricky proposition! I'm the kind of guy that HAS TO KNOW how good the internals are, and at a junk yard they aren't going to let me crack it open, plus I wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway :dunno:

It's more, but I would rather just have mine done, knowing it was done right, and for the length of time I'm planning on having it, I think it will be worth it!

·
Registered
183 Posts
my 97 psd 4x4 had 3.55 and that thing ran liked a raped ape, had tons of power and could tow anything and that was with 33"s under it. if your gonna do it i would just go to 3.55, a 7.3 has more than enough grunt to still light em up with 3.55. heck you might be lucky enough to find a couple axles in the bone yard with 3.55 already in them for a couple hundred bucks. i know a lot of obs psd trucks had 3.55s

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
man that's a tricky proposition! I'm the kind of guy that HAS TO KNOW how good the internals are, and at a junk yard they aren't going to let me crack it open, plus I wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway :dunno:

It's more, but I would rather just have mine done, knowing it was done right, and for the length of time I'm planning on having it, I think it will be worth it!
Yeah I hear ya! Although if you can find one out of a wrecked truck with lower miles you should be pretty safe:thumb: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
i dropped back down to 3.73 and it was worth it parts are only like $600 for yukon gears and timken or spicer bearings and just use the same carrier. labor is like $600 for both axles so total would be $1200 its not hard to set up a rear end especially a full floater.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
my 97 psd 4x4 had 3.55 and that thing ran liked a raped ape, had tons of power and could tow anything and that was with 33"s under it. if your gonna do it i would just go to 3.55, a 7.3 has more than enough grunt to still light em up with 3.55. heck you might be lucky enough to find a couple axles in the bone yard with 3.55 already in them for a couple hundred bucks. i know a lot of obs psd trucks had 3.55s
3.55 isn't enough for a dually to get a heavy load going, IMO. We just ain't out burning up the asphalt with our trucks, we make money with them and need them to be able to get 10 ton + loads moving without stressing the engine and trans more than normal.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Yeah I hear ya! Although if you can find one out of a wrecked truck with lower miles you should be pretty safe:thumb: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:
That thing is POOP!
I ran my vehicle for a rear end and one came up in Marysville CA, said it needed brakes for $1,450.00!!!!!!!!
Same price as just getting it re geared!
Thanks anyway Vital!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gear Vendors

If if were me, and i've got 4:10 also. I'd save up and get the gear splitter from Gear Vendors. That way you've got the 4:10's for pulling when you need it, but can open her up on the highway and get mileage. A friend of mine had it on his '72 Ford Pickup and it was pretty trick. Never seen it or heard about it on a Powerstroke so if anyone has done this, let us see some numbers. I plan on keeping my truck till they take it from me, so one of these days i'll go this route maybe, 15-16 miles a gallon ain't fun for daily driving. If I could get 20-22 i'd be ECSTATIC!!! That and a cummins conversion will be in my future.

·
Registered
334 Posts
everyone i talk to says go with gear vendors, but 4-5G's is absolutely rediculous for those of us who aren't towing.

I have 4.88's and want to go down to 3.73's. i did the math and at highway speeds my tach would go from 2500 now to just under 2000 with the 3.73. quite a difference in mileage.

Yukon gear makes a 'thin' 3.73 for the 4.10 carrier, so the estimates that are rediculous are probably including another carrier, which you wouldn't need. just takes a little research, which trans shops probably aren't doing so they can make some more money.

the thin 3.73 for the 4.10 carrier is about $280 from Yukon, plus the entire install kit, which is another $250. and if you use the existing bolts and all, you just need the bearing and shim kit, which is only $70 +/-

·
Registered
245 Posts
my 94 350 srw with E4OD runs 2200-2300 at 70mph

my 96 350 srw with E4OD runs 1800 at 70mph

·
Registered
104 Posts
I recently had my signature truck converted from 4:10 to 3:55s. It cost me $1,700 to have the front and rear axle done. I wouldn't recommend getting this done if your just trying to save fuel. I did it because I couldn't stand driving down the freeway at 55 to keep the RPMs under 2K. I love that I can do 75 at 2K RPMs now. Truck seems to run smoother and quieter as well but that might be my TW chip in economy mode. Swapping the axles is probably an easier and cheaper option but you never know what you are getting. My axles only have 36,000 miles on them and junkyards in my area seem to always be running low on anything for F250s or F350s.

·
COLLEGE KID
3,226 Posts
I think if you don't put quite a few thousand milles on ur truck a year don't bother. You might not see the money back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts