Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
35 psi is about the max you want to run a 7.3 at and that is about max for this turbo. The 38r is a ball bearing turbo pron to fail, no warranty, not rebuildable, not worth buying, asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned. I could sell that turbo and wouldn't have to build, warranty, wouldn't have to even box it up. The turbo is just not a good idea. To many guys asking me to rebuild there's because it failed and it is not rebuildable and I dont deal with anything that I can't warranty......

this is what i was told when i pm'd the guy trying to sell the turbo i had the link for ... do you guys agree

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
that 38R will take a beating .... if you have stock injectors I bet that turbo will last forever... Bigger injectors and your going to have to rebuild that turbo over and over.. :hehe:

You can rebuild them... just the cartridge is almost as expensive as the whole turbo.. :hehe: from what I have heard...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well if all your doing is swaping a cartridge then i would not consider that rebuilding the turbo, but anyways no they are not rebuildable i know some FLEBAY people have "rebuilt" 38r's but thats just retarded. Garrett does NOT sale ANY parts for these. On another note, these ball-bearing cartridges are amazing they can take a beating!!!! There is a warranty on them, but of course it has to be inspected and proven that it was a turbo failure and not some dumb a$$ not changing his oil when he needed to or dropping a couple bolts in the intake, thats probably not warrantable.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
that 38R will take a beating .... if you have stock injectors I bet that turbo will last forever... Bigger injectors and your going to have to rebuild that turbo over and over.. :hehe:

You can rebuild them... just the cartridge is almost as expensive as the whole turbo.. :hehe: from what I have heard...
Let me emphasize what I meant above... if you run the stock turbo you are going to be rebuilding it... Not the 38R :rofl:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Who ever told you this is well lets put it nicely.... A dumb person.

The 38r is one of the most and best proven turbos out there. you RARELY hear of anyone having to rebuild on or get a new one cuz the blew it up.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The Garrett BB turbo is one of the most durable, reliable turbos on the market. The guy who told you that has no idea WTF he is talking about.
:agree: Mine ran awesome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts