Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fixing to bite the bullet and buy a 2013 f.250 and plan on running 37s within the 1st 3 months after getting it. I pull a goosneck about once a month total weight loaded down 15k max including trailer. Would the 3:55s be the best gear ratio for me?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'd just regear to 3.73's personally afterwards but that's just me. It will definitely help if you're pulling 15k regularly and the gear prices from Ford have dropped to like 1/3 of what they were a year ago.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I'd just regear to 3.73's personally afterwards but that's just me. It will definitely help if you're pulling 15k regularly and the gear prices from Ford have dropped to like 1/3 of what they were a year ago.
How much would the MPG's drop going from 3:55's to 3:73's ???

·
Registered
323 Posts
We've got a 6th gear now so it's not nearly as bad as it used to be with overdrive. If you want it to drive the same performance wise it's:

3.31 for 18" rims and 32" tires
3.55 for 20" rims and 34.5" tires
3.73 for 20" rims and 37" tires

You'll definitely notice the decreased power though when you're towing 15k if you only run the 3.55's on 37's because of all the extra weight from those tires. The truck still has plenty of power to do it even in stock form, I'm not saying you can't at all just saying it will pull better with more gear.

·
Registered
557 Posts
How much would the MPG's drop going from 3:55's to 3:73's ???
If he's running 37s he's gonna get better fuel mileage with the 3.73s over 3.55s in town and towing, highway probably wont make much of a difference unless he's in a hilly area like I am. Personally when I lift my truck its getting 4.10s and 37s because no matter what its going to drop mileage so if I'm getting crappy mileage I'm gonna make sure I have lots of power :scuffy

·
Registered
323 Posts
If he's running 37s he's gonna get better fuel mileage with the 3.73s over 3.55s in town and towing, highway probably wont make much of a difference unless he's in a hilly area like I am. Personally when I lift my truck its getting 4.10s and 37s because no matter what its going to drop mileage so if I'm getting crappy mileage I'm gonna make sure I have lots of power :scuffy
Yeah the 4.10's would be nice but Ford doesn't offer that OEM ring and pinion anymore only 3.73 and then it jumps to the 4.30's

·
Registered
557 Posts
True but Nitro Gear and Axle does make 4.10s for the 11+ Super Duty's. I don't know how well they are made but I'm sure when time comes for me to lift my truck someone will have a review on them.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
We've got a 6th gear now so it's not nearly as bad as it used to be with overdrive. If you want it to drive the same performance wise it's:

3.31 for 18" rims and 32" tires
3.55 for 20" rims and 34.5" tires
3.73 for 20" rims and 37" tires

You'll definitely notice the decreased power though when you're towing 15k if you only run the 3.55's on 37's because of all the extra weight from those tires. The truck still has plenty of power to do it even in stock form, I'm not saying you can't at all just saying it will pull better with more gear.
OK gotcha, thanks for the info.:thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I'll eventually get 3:73s and where I live it's pretty flat and the longest distance I pull the 15k is 60 miles. Mainly gonna drive long back roads to work so speed limits are like 55-65 so it shouldn't get to bad on mileage. Can't beat the look of them lifted:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Y'all think I'll have enough clarence with the bed rails with a 6in lift and 37s? I test drove or exactly set up how I want and it seemed a little y'all for a gooseneck

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Y'all think I'll have enough clarence with the bed rails with a 6in lift and 37s? I test drove or exactly set up how I want and it seemed a little y'all for a gooseneck
This is why I am going with a 2.5" carli lift and 35's. I am concerned about this with a fifth wheel camper trailer if I go more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I see that with pullin a 5'er but I'm just pullin a 32ft dovetail gooseneck once every month or 2. Might just have to modify the tongue to get the clearance I need

·
Registered
26 Posts
I re-geared my old 6.0 with 4.56 for heavy towing and 37/38's. I'm picking up a 6.7 and not sure if I want a 450 with 4.3 or 350 dually with 3.73 I'm planning on running 35's on 22's. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I re-geared my old 6.0 with 4.56 for heavy towing and 37/38's. I'm picking up a 6.7 and not sure if I want a 450 with 4.3 or 350 dually with 3.73 I'm planning on running 35's on 22's. Any suggestions.
Depends on what you're towing. These 6.7s have way more low end torque plus a lower 1st gear then the 6.0s do. I got 3.55s and 35s and its still got plenty of pulling power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm really struggling with a 450 vs 350. I know the power and mileage will suffer with 37's, especially dualled up, but they look so damn good. I was determined to stay with 35's on 22's.
If I decide on 37's I'd go with the 450, just for the 4.30 gears. I'm open to suggestions. I know power and mileage will suffer substantially with 37's...

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you're happy paying the fuel bill I'd so go 450 and put on the 37s, but I'd also suggest a larger fuel tank so you can go farther than 1-200 miles before needing to fill up:rofl:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts