Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks! First post here, hope I don't run afoul of any rules.

Have a '94F350 with the 351W and am looking to ditch the gas. Previously had a 94 F250 7.3 IDI which I put the banks turbo kit on and had decent results but took a lot of money to get okay performance. Found a 95 F350 parts truck, rusted but whole, was running and sat for a year or so and now won't start, likely easy fix, for $1k CDN + a deck tow. Donor has a 7.3 PSD with 5spd, 320k.

My plan at this point is to zip the whole drivetrain from the '95 into the '94, but I am also considering just swapping the less-rusted cab and bed onto the '95. Either way it's a bunch of work but will get me what I want. Have a hoist, can weld mounts, planning to build a big 'A' gantry for pulling bodies.

My secondary evil plan is to put a volvo XCV70 body onto the spare F350 frame with a chop. Giving myself two years to do it or scrap it heh.

Anyone have any tips on this? Stuff to watch out for, tricks to make it easier? Happy to listen to advice. Have done a bunch of searching and reading and the general idea seems to be that if you can get the whole package it's a pretty straightforward deal. Stoked to play with diesel power again.

Hope y'all are staying safe and having fun out there!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Having done various swaps myself I will say it is up to you. If you have fab skills then the sky is the limit. Easiest route is the motor swap.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
If trying to put a 7.3 in your 351w powered truck you will need to cut out and replace the engine crossmember with a big block or diesel crossmember. To me it would be better/easier to install the better body on the diesel frame. Been there done that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If trying to put a 7.3 in your 351w powered truck you will need to cut out and replace the engine crossmember with a big block or diesel crossmember. To me it would be better/easier to install the better body on the diesel frame. Been there done that.
That's a good point, thanks for bringing that to my attention. Have some fab ability and a ticketed red seal welder to steer me straight if I do anything dumb, might still go either way. It's looking like a pretty tough call on which end to swap, I've already done a lot to the running gear on the 351W truck so far but I'll have to see what shape the donor is in mechanically as I pull it apart.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I have many years of fabrication experience. Cutting the crossmember out of one of these trucks and replacing is one of the last things I would want to do. When we built my son's 4x4 dually we used a big block 4x4 donor truck and pulled it down to pretty much bare frame. We then moved everything from the 2wd truck to the 4x4 frame. Yes it was time consuming but it really wasn't that hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have many years of fabrication experience. Cutting the crossmember out of one of these trucks and replacing is one of the last things I would want to do. When we built my son's 4x4 dually we used a big block 4x4 donor truck and pulled it down to pretty much bare frame. We then moved everything from the 2wd truck to the 4x4 frame. Yes it was time consuming but it really wasn't that hard.
Hearing you loud and clear. Time's the big commodity as always. Lined up my pops' mini crane truck to pluck and move everything when the time comes, should be a joy. Going to get the PSD truck in a few minutes here, will post some pics once she's settled in the driveway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts