Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the largest size tire to run on a 2006 with 2" level kit without rubbing?
What tire are you running (mainly street) and the mileage your seeing?
I am thinking of Pro Comp Extreme AT or Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ.
Main concern is mileage of tire, need a tire that is more aggressive than stock BFG Rugged Trail.
Running stock XLT 17" wheels.
Thanks in advance:icon_ford:

·
back to business
3,551 Posts
I'm running stock 275/65/20 Goodyears (about 35") on the stock 20" rims, gettin' 18-20 mpg highway.

I'm not sure what you're lookin' for, but you might want to look at BFG AT's. They're decent off road (as long as you don't see much mud) and wear GREAT on the road.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
35" tires for stock rims makes the sidewalls bulge and the tread crown leading to lose handling and poor tread life. Most 35" tires are 12.5 wide and need a 9-10" wide rim.

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Stock is close to 33's. Just as well go 35's. I don't think you would have a problem with rubbing. BFG' AT with KO series are hard to beat for wear and all around use. No loud road noise either

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I would stick with a 33x10.50 on a stock wheel personally. You could probably get away with a 33x12.50, or the h2 tires which I think are about a 34x11.50. Also, hummer tires can be picked up as almost new take-offs at a local tire shop. As for 35's, it is possible on the stock wheel, but as was mentioned before, they would balloon out, and only the center of the tread would wear. On my 3" lift with 35x12.50's on aftermarket 10" wide wheels, my tires rubbed pretty good on the inner fender. With proper backspacing it would work, but a stock offset 10" wide wheel is hard to come by.

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
35" tires for stock rims makes the sidewalls bulge and the tread crown leading to lose handling and poor tread life. Most 35" tires are 12.5 wide and need a 9-10" wide rim.
You don't think the"crowning" will lead to shorter tread life? I know it is not recomended, but I see hear a lot of guys doing it. I am all about longevity.

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would stick with a 33x10.50 on a stock wheel personally. You could probably get away with a 33x12.50, or the h2 tires which I think are about a 34x11.50. Also, hummer tires can be picked up as almost new take-offs at a local tire shop. As for 35's, it is possible on the stock wheel, but as was mentioned before, they would balloon out, and only the center of the tread would wear. On my 3" lift with 35x12.50's on aftermarket 10" wide wheels, my tires rubbed pretty good on the inner fender. With proper backspacing it would work, but a stock offset 10" wide wheel is hard to come by.
Great, but what manufactuers sell 33/10.50, and what do the hummers come with?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I had my 35x12.5x17 BFG Mud terrain KM2's on my stock rims or a while and they didn't crown bad at all...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I put Welds on it when I found a set I liked, as far as how long they last I don't know honestly, my front tires have 8000 on them and don't show much wear at all, I just replaced the back 2 last week with a little under 3/4 tread. They do ride great and get AWESOME traction, I couldn't hook up with my 35" BFG a/t's, but I can hardly spin these even on a slight 2wd launch.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
just to give some reference. i put the 2.5 skyjacker lift on my truck with 35x13.50r20 mickey thompson atz's the wheels are 20' diamo 8 karats dimensions (20x9, -10 offset, 4.61" backspacing) and there was slight rubbing while turning. just had to trim about a 1/2 " back on the corner of the airdam and do just a little work on inner fender it took about 30 mins. to fix. ive put roughly 8k on them and the still look brand new and are very aggressive for an AT i wouldnt enter a mudbogg with them or anything but for just normal offroad they will be fine.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yes I did get your PayPal info... Stickers will go out Tuesday!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
:dunno: i dont think 37"tires and a 2 in lift are gonna work??? you could probly squeeze them under a 4" lift though. ive always been told you can run the stock rims with big tires as long as they arent any wider than 12.50's. but you can pick up a good set of aftermarket wheels for a cheap price it would look alot better than stock wheels in my opinion.

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I was not going to do anything bigger than 35". I am kinda of leary about the aftermarket wheels not being hub centric, However with that said I may try some after I save some change. You know between fillups and family(2 kids). Which route is better forged or cast wheels?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
If you do occaisional towing, I would recommend the forged wheels, but I've also heard that they are heavy, so mpg's might go down a little. The cast works great for light loads though

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm running 315/70/17 with no leveling kit and they don't rub. It is close but no rub. As for wear and mileage, it's not a daily driver so I can't help you out on that one. You can see a very slight "crown" to them, but I have had no bad effects becuase of this. I'm running the stock 17 lariat wheels

1 - 20 of 21 Posts