Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rims are only 7.5 wide and an online tire calculator recommended 8.5 at least. is anyone running this set-up? i don't tow or haul by commute about 110 km a day.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What year is your truck? That means the diff. between coils and leaf springs. Big diff when it comes to rubbing issues.

I know the tire shop would not put 315/75/16's on mine 2004 rims. They said they wanted at least an 8" and would be much better on a 9-11.

·
Premium Member
15,689 Posts
What year is your truck? That means the diff. between coils and leaf springs. Big diff when it comes to rubbing issues.

I know the tire shop would not put 315/75/16's on mine 2004 rims. They said they wanted at least an 8" and would be much better on a 9-11.
just had a tire shop put that same size tire on my rims (which are also stock 04's) today

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
They fit fine. Stump what did ya go with this time?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
This is that same size on a bone stock 05 350. No leveling kit or anything

·
Registered
135 Posts
just had a tire shop put that same size tire on my rims (which are also stock 04's) today
You got a picture of them? They said they would bubble out something fierce and have terrible wear... this is from a tire shop that has done all of our ag equipment for years, combines, wagons etc. They said when you stick this tire on a 7 or 7.5 the tread is no longer flat on the ground and creates really bad wear down the middle. They said they have had lotsa farmboys come in and ask but they tried it a couple times all with the same results. You can deflate it to get better wear but then loose a ton of load capacity and stress the sidewalls. IDK, just what I was told. You guys have experienced otherwise?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dave, what's the width on the 05 rims? 04's had 16in rims too... yours are 17's?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
The stock 17's a 7.5 wide

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I just stuffed 315/75/r16 on stock wheels and no lift or leveling kit on a 250...... It rubs on back plastic on the inside of the fenders and on the pass leaf spring.... Not a issue I would imagine with a 05+ truck. The tires look fine and don't have any crazy buldge

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mines an 06 ,getting the tires cheap enough so im going to give it a shot. i was just worried about safety concerns (proper bead sealing)

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
mines an 06 ,getting the tires cheap enough so im going to give it a shot. i was just worried about safety concerns (proper bead sealing)
Absolutely nothing to worry about. Sounds like that shop just wanted to sell you rims too

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
My old man has an 05 FX4 and he is running the BFG All Terrains and he has 315/70/17 with no rubbing issues. I'm not sure what the rim sizes are, but they are the factory shotgun style.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the help guys , i will post pics as soon as there on. just have to drive 1.5 hrs to get them( if they still got em)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts