Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 F250 with 315,000 miles on my truck. I have the forged rods not the PMR's. I use it everyday and drive about 85 miles each way everyday for work. My truck isn't modded to much. I have a MAC 5" air intake 4 inch turbo back exhaust. It has the original injectors and a new factory fuel pump. I bought the truck with 105k miles back in 2004. I then installed a Hypertec programmer and have been running it ever since. (Future plans include a DP Turner). I do not tow with it right now but I am contemplating a 5th wheel down the road. My tranny went out at 250k and was rebuild by a local shop with a Heavy Duty TC ( I don't know what kind). I didn't have the cash or time for the BTS, JWood or Suncoast rebuild.

My question is if I get a Garrett GTP 38r turbo and install a DP Turner with 238/80 hybrids down the road, will by motor blow up? Is it too risky with so many miles?

The engine does not burn oil. It has a little blow by when I remove the oil filler cap.

I would love to do a total top end rebuild but don't have the funds right now. My plan in order as funds come available are GTP38r first, then 238/80hybrids with a DP turner program, then a CPR from Dieselsite.

Anybody have a better plan of attack?

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
do a compression test and see how it looks. if it was mine i wouldn't do the 38r i would go with a s366 or gqssb on irates mount because chances are that you up pipes are leakin and you can get the new mount with a turbo for less than a 38r and bellowed up pipes. you hpop is prolly pretty tired also so you might want to look into a srp1 and do some research on tuners before you commit to dp, i had their tunes and i went elsewhere. irate can hook you up with alot of parts, they do fuel systems so you can prolly get a package deal. oh yeah head studs, valve springs and push rods would be a good idea as well

·
Registered
400 Posts
do a compression test and see how it looks. if it was mine i wouldn't do the 38r i would go with a s366 or gqssb on irates mount because chances are that you up pipes are leakin and you can get the new mount with a turbo for less than a 38r and bellowed up pipes. you hpop is prolly pretty tired also so you might want to look into a srp1 and do some research on tuners before you commit to dp, i had their tunes and i went elsewhere. irate can hook you up with alot of parts, they do fuel systems so you can prolly get a package deal. oh yeah head studs, valve springs and push rods would be a good idea as well
I as well would recommend both the S366 and Jake at Irate diesel. I would also like to mention Jake offers TS cips with I believe 3 peoples different custom tunes, I believe them to be; Matt at gearhead auto, Cale at tyrant diesel and i can't recall the other.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Don't forget php, Jake also does swamps I believe. The choice is up to you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I was looking at Hybrid 238/80's. I would like to have the hp/tq on tap but would rarely use it.

My main concern is reliability. I thought detuned Hybrids with a turbo that could clean the injectors up would be a good start. Plus, I hear the Hybrids are less strain on the stock HPOP.

I have read on other threads and sites that people upgrade their turbo and having their engine "blow up". Obviously anything is possible dogging it and not keeping the boost levels safe.

Once I verify that the cylinders are sound and have good compression, I would like to go the route of the S366 with custom mount and up pipes. Maybe I could start there and keep the boost levels tame. Then add new injectors and a programmer. Eventually, I want to do a top end rebuild.

I want to know how much reliability that you sacrifice when upping the hp/tq to the 7.3. I know the most reliable is keeping it stock. I am just trying to do some research before I make a change to the :icon_ford: Eff two fitty.

Anybody have any other thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts