1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
that thing is crazy bad.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Bad azz...but it sounds like a motorcycle??
you never heard an old 8v92 detroit in person? thats how they sound. They sound badass in person tho. Or at least i think so.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Julian.. that particular diesel engine is a 2 stroke. Yes.. you read that right, a two stroke.

A Detroit 8V-92 tells you lots about itself just through it's name. It has 8 cylinders, each of with displaces 92 cui. It's very large. There are several different configurations of this basic engine, up to I believe 12 and 16 cylinders.

Also... they use blowers to move the air into and out of the engine... without the blower.

The blowers used in gasoline applications to this day are based on the ones developed for these diesel engines. They are also sized based on the diesel engines they came from. For example a 4-71 blower was sized to feed a 4 cylinder, 71 cui/cyl engine.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Julian.. that particular diesel engine is a 2 stroke. Yes.. you read that right, a two stroke.

A Detroit 8V-92 tells you lots about itself just through it's name. It has 8 cylinders, each of with displaces 92 cui. It's very large. There are several different configurations of this basic engine, up to I believe 12 and 16 cylinders.

Also... they use blowers to move the air into and out of the engine... without the blower.

The blowers used in gasoline applications to this day are based on the ones developed for these diesel engines. They are also sized based on the diesel engines they came from. For example a 4-71 blower was sized to feed a 4 cylinder, 71 cui/cyl engine.
Wow a two stroke, I guess that explains the sound......I never that about the 4-71s and the same can be said about the 6,8, and 10-71's

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Bad azz...but it sounds like a motorcycle??
THAT IS CRAZY JULIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had an old 77 Suzuki I4 750 I turned into a drag bike. As soon I heard that beast rev, It reminded me of that old bike. :punk:
Ahh the good old days. What I wound'nt do to be young again.

Great video, Thanks for sharing and for the blast to the past.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
That KW is awesome!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's impressive, I'm amazed they managed to keep a crankshaft in it

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
8V92's is the best sounding engines.
Amen. There wicked sounding!!!!, and really, they have there own distinct sound:thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
They made ok flat land trucks but being a 2 stroke didn't make the torque to cut it in the mountains. Give me a 4 stroke any day. I always preferred the rattle of a Cat myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will find a lot of the 8V-92s in late 80s and 90s fire trucks. I have a Heavy Rescue back home with 450hp. We straight piped it and ow my g&d! That thing sounds sweet when it idles and when you get on it look out. Sets of car alarms for blocks. Most times they hear the motor befoe they hear the sirens.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
who knows how much torque.

Torque calculates to 4284.53 lb-ft @ 3800 probably would be quite a bit higher at low rpm.

We had a 12V92 on a gun boat for the compressor. It was actually made by putting two 6V92 blocks together.

It could crank out some air.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts