Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the new TCM and 310 tune. I am getting a surge around 60 mph if I hold it at that speed. This is the same surge that I got on the 275 V2 last year. Anybody else seeing the same thing? :scuffy Other than that the truck runs awesome.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Yes. I see the same thing and have talked to Matt about it. He said it has something to do with the throttle on the tune, and that he wasn't going to worry to much about it since it is a race file. He said you can email or call Spartan and he can try and make some changes if you want them to. He just said it will affect throttle response on that tune. Mine is very violent on my truck, and the 60-65 mpg range is the worst. Mine is made worse by the Air Dog that I have though.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Both of you try to grab me some logs of pedal position, engine rpm, fuel rail pressure, mass fuel desired, and injection timing. I'll take a look and see what I can do. Only had it reported a couple trucks with larger tires- so I have an idea.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I run 35's, if that helps any. Im not that concernced about it, but if you want me to log for you to see it better then I will :thumb:

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
It happens when I accelerate easy or hard to anywhere between 60-70 mph. It only happens when I ease out of the throttle though. If I let out of it immediately it doenst do it really, but it I ease out it will buck my truck like crazy at times. And like we talked about, it takes a good bit to get the truck to quit doing it someitmes.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
It happens when I accelerate easy or hard to anywhere between 60-70 mph. It only happens when I ease out of the throttle though. If I let out of it immediately it doenst do it really, but it I ease out it will buck my truck like crazy at times. And like we talked about, it takes a good bit to get the truck to quit doing it someitmes.
What engine rpm are you at around these speeds? 1800ish?

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Yea, its below 2,000 most of the time. But I have experienced light surging above 70 mph around the 75 mph range. It is worst below 2,000 though in that 60-70 mph range. So I would say between 1700-2000 RPM

·
Registered
69 Posts
i got this surge today hammering down getting on the hwy once i got to speed i let off sort of slow then got back into it a lil bit, surged unless i went WOT

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I had it happen a couple of times today too. It feels like the bucking I get when I am pulling an empty gooseneck trailer on the 275 tune. You kind of feel like you know how it is to have 'shaken baby syndrome'. I think it is because of the touchy throttle. I got it once when I hit a bump. I think my foot jerked a tiny bit, which caused the truck to throttle up, which caused my foot to move again, and so on and so forth. I have found that it take a very steady foot to drive with the higher tunes some times. I pretty much always brace my foot against the transmission hump to keep it from bumping the throttle too much.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I had it happen a couple of times today too. It feels like the bucking I get when I am pulling an empty gooseneck trailer on the 275 tune. You kind of feel like you know how it is to have 'shaken baby syndrome'. I think it is because of the touchy throttle. I got it once when I hit a bump. I think my foot jerked a tiny bit, which caused the truck to throttle up, which caused my foot to move again, and so on and so forth. I have found that it take a very steady foot to drive with the higher tunes some times. I pretty much always brace my foot against the transmission hump to keep it from bumping the throttle too much.
Yea, sometimes it is hard to get it to stop bucking. I either floor it or hit the brakes if its bad. Its about the best way to get rid of it :nod:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I experience the same thing but I gotta be honest w/ you guys, my family loves it. I've had a bad habit for 28 yrs now of drumming when I drive, no bs, constantly. I lightly tap the accelerator as a bass pedal w/ my right foot and drum on steering wheel w/ my hands. Its so engrained in me its literally become borderline involuntary. Until the day the 310 arrived that is. For a whole day I damn near subluxated my own head off from whiplash. You think the truck has quick adaptive learning? Pfffff, that tune broke me quick! Now given the choice between temporary hard 310 bucking on the highway or low tunes constant nagging everywhere bucking they plead w/ me to load the 310. So my family wanted me to thank Matt & crew for freeing them from bobblehead prison.

Family pre 310 :punk::banging::banging::banging:

Family post 310 :punk::happydance::woohoo::woohoo:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt it.
The ECM has a "smoothness" programmed into it that effects throttle response. The not only smooths out the fuel delivery, it also leads to a mushy throttle. A double edged sword.
Matt has adjusted this setting to allow full throttle response. You guys may also feel this when you lift at speed, it's very abrupt.

I think he can smooth this out, but you'll lose your crisp throttle response.
Take your choice. Personally, I'll deal with the downsides because the upsides are worth it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just some food for thought........

This is a race tune and the power levels are way up there so IMO if we're (myself included) using the 310 tune for everyday driving your somewhat on your own and you may have to live with a few side affects of a race tune.

I've been testing this tune for about 6 months now and have no real complaints about it because I knew what I was getting into when I got it.

Gerry

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm with you Gerry. If you're running the 310 tune as a daily driver, suit yourself. They warn against all these things but it's just up to driver. There are big plusses sure, I agree, I love the throttle response on my 310 tune, but there are the downsides too. What do you need the 310 tune as a daily driver for anyway?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm with you Gerry. If you're running the 310 tune as a daily driver, suit yourself. They warn against all these things but it's just up to driver. There are big plusses sure, I agree, I love the throttle response on my 310 tune, but there are the downsides too. What do you need the 310 tune as a daily driver for anyway?
Just exactly what are the downsides?
There are none..

I've been using race tunes for daily drivers for 10 years of owning Powerstrokes. Better fuel mileage and better performance across the board with no issues.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The hard shifting is torque your leafs in the back, the rear end, and the whole frame will shift over time. I'm not saying i don't run the race tunes, haha i run the 275. I was talking about the 310 as a daily driver

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have noticed that the 310 does not like the "around town" driving. It shifts really hard just putting around. But when you give her hell, it actually shifts better. But the shifts seem really rough when you aren't accelerating hard. I am back to my 210 for daily driving. 310 just for racing. Can't beat the 210's smoothness.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's what I was getting at.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I had a fun day of driving with the 310 today. I was heading off to College Station, TX to pick up a sick horse of mine from the Large Animal Hospital there (just about the best in the world, BTW). My F450 takes a dump on the way up there. I just got it out of the shop yesterday for a water leak. (I said cracked EGR cooler, they replaced the timing cover). About 6 miles out, it takes a dump and overheats to the point of shutdown. It was doing fine, then the fan came on, then "reduced engine power", then shutdown and won't restart. It took less than a minute.

Anyway, I called my brother to bring me my F350 (and 50 gallons of water). I wasn't expecting to use it for towing, so it was running the 310 tune with the new TCM. I knew this was going to suck, but I didn't have a choice. I only have a 275, and two versions of the 310 tune to use on the new TCM. I am running the 310 NZL (Near Zero Learning) version, which I thought would be better than having to "teach" my transmission to shift all over again while pulling a gooseneck trailer.

The results were better than expected. The EGT was never too hot. It shifts better under moderate acceleration, rather than slow acceleration. When you creep away from a stop light, the shifts are kind of surprising. The best thing is to brace your foot against the transmission hump, and accelerate moderately quick, and get over 65 before you try to even out your speed. If you try to cruise at 45-50, you are in for a few chipped teeth. Once at the desired speed, let off the accelerator completely and let the boost fall off to nothing. Then roll back into it gently and it will stabilize without bucking. If you just let off enough to stay at your desired speed, chances are it will start bucking.

Not an enjoyable trip. The steadier you can hold the accelerator the better. My leg is cramped up from clenching all day.

On a side note, I think I will be carrying my old TCM with me along with some wrenches just in case this sort of thing happens again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts