Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay yall, at the end of october were heading out to Vegas from Louisville Kentucky for SEMA show, and we want to know what to check, or look for before heading out, what are your concerns? should would put on a bigger trans cooler? any help appreciated!

the details of the truck
99 F350 7.3 DRW 2WD Crew Cab
close to 300,000 miles
daily driven now with no issues
the heating element in fuel bowl shorted over the winter, we fixed that
has new ac clutch and belt tensioner
new injectors about 75,000 miles ago

issues now
very intermittent(goes above 2 grand rpm underload, let off accelerator, get back in it and its fine, it did it a bit when we were towing a 50 ft gooseneck with 2 fully loaded showcars(very heavy) to tunica missisippi in May. and once while going up a hill recently with no trailer

we will be towing a 7000 lb tahoe to vegas, just trying to get some good preventative maintenance in this thing before we head off on the trip... thanks alot guys!

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
Always good to bring some extra tools with ya and oil, coolant, etc.. If you dont have gauges thats not exactly good, transmissions can never have too much cooling thats for sure.

Drive safe and have fun!

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
might check for tranny codes. check the fluid. definitly add guages, or at least a tranny and pyro. add a larger tranny cooler. filler up and drive!

:ORG welcome:

imho - just unplug the fuel bowl heater. it will most likely break again.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Gauges are a must. If you want the best deal on Isspro shoot me a PM, and no I don't sell them, lol!!! If you are running the stock cooler, get it out, it is far to small, before the 6.0 the mod to do was the V10 cooler which is fine for 80% of owners. Ford actually learned a lesson and on the 6.0 they used a massive cooler, and this became the mod of choice. I use to get them for $60 each during the recall in 2004, they are a bit more now but how much is a new trans. If this is the stock trans you got your money out of it. You can get some serious heat out West, yes even in Oct.
For the trip:
Make sure you have a fresh oil change.
Check all belts and hoses and replace as needed.
Flush brake fluid if it hasn't been done in the last 2 years.
I would flush coolant if it has been a long time sice last flush.
Change diff lube if needed.
Check Wipers
Check brakes
Check tires and pressures
Make sure you have a spare CPS and the tools to change it on the side of the road.
Tools, extra fluids,
I never leave on a long trip without my laptop and my AE software.

The above is just a brief list, yes I am anal but I usually get where I am going.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is exactly while I signed up here, this isnt our first cross country trip, just the first in this particular truck and we were wondering what the 7.3 gurus had to say, we usually take a good heavy floor jack, lots of tools, a few spares(truck and trailer), wiring tools, wire, etc...

Already have the rotella, and diff lube and gasket ready for a diff lube change(rear end gasket leaks anyways!

always heard about the CPS sensors on these trucks... so we will grab one and throw in the glove box

new set of wheels and tires on it... all 6

sooo gauges, and a tranny cooler so far! we will get on that!

Ive attached two pics, one of the truck in question, we are putting 04 headlights and grille and bumper in it before we leave, when we come back we will be doing a full suspension overhaul, which will increase the payload, and lay the running board on the ground, machining our own hydraulic cylinders, etc...

the other pic is of the 07 Tahoe were taking to SEMA...

I know low isnt probably the cup of tea around here but what the hey... thanks again !

Attachments

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
dont forget the upgraded tranny cooler if its an auto. there isnt a person here who wouldnt suggest it. either a nice 6.0 tranny cooler or get a large TruCool Max cooler.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
The Tru Cool max is a 40K cooler, same cooler as the V10, and the V10 will bolt right in, so you know my choice between those two.
Nice truck, still have the Dana 80 in it? Full bed? I have a buddy who kept the 80 and dumped it to the ground with a custom 4 link. It looks tuff even though lowered trucks aren't my thing. Have a safe trip. If I can answer any ? you can PM me or email at [email protected]

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm all for being prepared,but you prolly only need to check the fuel. I know a 99 with 290000 that I wouldn't hesitate to take off in. Good Luck and Let us know how she does:thumb:

·
Registered
91 Posts
whats a cps? crank position sensor?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Never a bad idear to have a spare fuel filter behind the seat either. Occasionally you get some bad fuel and it needs to be changed.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks those low profile tires aren't up to the task of towing a 50' gooseneck? :dunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts