Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rolled over 100k miles in my '17 CC LB DRW F350 within the month of 3 years on owning it. Figured I would give a short review on how it's treated me and the maintenance I have run on it thus far. The truck is basically my office, so a lot of highway driving to worksites with mostly bed loads, as well as hauling vehicles/equipment on the weekends.Currently sitting at 100,400 miles, 2383 hours, and 355 idle hours; so an average speed of 42mph and 14.89% idling. Out of all this, the only parts that actually failed on me were;

1. Water Pump, 50,050 miles and replaced under warranty
2. Steering stabilizer causing death wobble, 39,000 miles, replaced with Rough Country factory replacement with new front shocks
3. Batteries, 68,000 miles
4. Block heater tripping GFCI, replaced twice due to recalls

For aftermarket parts, I did install an S&B intake at 22,000 miles and am still running it today with no CELs, along with the PMF dual steering stabilizer setup to cut down on bump steer around 85,000 miles. Other than external aftermarket add ons, nothing to the emission systems or a turner yet; though I am considering a Banks Derringer. Maintenance wise, I stuck to the following;

1. Drain water/fuel seperator- 5,000
2. Oil- 10,000, with 5w-40 Motorcraft; Initial break-in change at 5,000 miles
3. Fuel Filters- 20,000
4. Coolant- 50,000
5. Transmission- 50,000

Being that I am not at 100k, I am about to do the coolant and transmission again, along with the engine belt, axle fluid, tcase fluid, and PCV filter. Front wheel bearings are nice and tight, brakes all the way around are at about 50%, and I have been through two sets of tires on the back and three sets on the front. Nothing else to really note, I just hop in and drive it. Love the power and reliability, though I did come from a 6.0 but that never left me stranded either in the 100k miles I had it. Exhaust break is probably the best feature on this truck, next to the 48 gallon fuel tank. I have rebuilt many D60s and Sterling 10.25s but this D300 is fricken overkill, which I like.

·
1% Club
50 Posts
Good feedback on your truck. Surprised on having to replace the batteries at two years/66k. Did you go back to FMC product or use an aftermarket batteries?

You going to punch this truck off and get a new one or keep driving it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was more than likely a defective battery, it just happened to be my starter battery so it did die randomly so I had to jump it. I was near a Ford dealer so I grabbed two new batteries just so I had a matched set. Never had issues with MC batteries on my 6.0, so I figured I’d give them another chance.

No plans on that, when I bought the truck, my goal was to see at least 500k miles on it.

Good feedback on your truck. Surprised on having to replace the batteries at two years/66k. Did you go back to FMC product or use an aftermarket batteries?

You going to punch this truck off and get a new one or keep driving it?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Great feedback @73IH810. Seeing we appear to have the same truck (year, DRW, etc) it makes me feel good about my "investment." Now I'm nowhere near 100k.....approaching 19k right now. Also appreciate the info on the steering stabilizers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I forgot to put in there is that I did run the Ford cetane boost and antigel year round since my first tank of fuel. At about 90k miles, I switched to Power Service boost/antigel due to availability on the Ford additive at my dealer.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
One thing I forgot to put in there is that I did run the Ford cetane boost and antigel year round since my first tank of fuel. At about 90k miles, I switched to Power Service boost/antigel due to availability on the Ford additive at my dealer.
Good to know. I've been running Ford's PM22A and Stanadyne's Lubricity Formula since day 1. In fact when I picked up the truck from the dealer they had it filled full for me and when I drove off the lot, I pulled over about a 1/4 mile from the dealership and added the concoction to the tank. Having read about the pumps failing and the cost of repairs made me nervous. It may all be snake oil....don't know. BUT adding these gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great review man. Thanks for the details on the steering stabilizers and cetane booster

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just rolled over 100k miles in my '17 CC LB DRW F350 within the month of 3 years on owning it. Figured I would give a short review on how it's treated me and the maintenance I have run on it thus far. The truck is basically my office, so a lot of highway driving to worksites with mostly bed loads, as well as hauling vehicles/equipment on the weekends.Currently sitting at 100,400 miles, 2383 hours, and 355 idle hours; so an average speed of 42mph and 14.89% idling. Out of all this, the only parts that actually failed on me were;

1. Water Pump, 50,050 miles and replaced under warranty
2. Steering stabilizer causing death wobble, 39,000 miles, replaced with Rough Country factory replacement with new front shocks
3. Batteries, 68,000 miles
4. Block heater tripping GFCI, replaced twice due to recalls

For aftermarket parts, I did install an S&B intake at 22,000 miles and am still running it today with no CELs, along with the PMF dual steering stabilizer setup to cut down on bump steer around 85,000 miles. Other than external aftermarket add ons, nothing to the emission systems or a turner yet; though I am considering a Banks Derringer. Maintenance wise, I stuck to the following;

1. Drain water/fuel seperator- 5,000
2. Oil- 10,000, with 5w-40 Motorcraft; Initial break-in change at 5,000 miles
3. Fuel Filters- 20,000
4. Coolant- 50,000
5. Transmission- 50,000

Being that I am not at 100k, I am about to do the coolant and transmission again, along with the engine belt, axle fluid, tcase fluid, and PCV filter. Front wheel bearings are nice and tight, brakes all the way around are at about 50%, and I have been through two sets of tires on the back and three sets on the front. Nothing else to really note, I just hop in and drive it. Love the power and reliability, though I did come from a 6.0 but that never left me stranded either in the 100k miles I had it. Exhaust break is probably the best feature on this truck, next to the 48 gallon fuel tank. I have rebuilt many D60s and Sterling 10.25s but this D300 is fricken overkill, which I like.
A little surprised about the water pump replacement at 50K but you do run your truck quite a bit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little surprised about the water pump replacement at 50K but you do run your truck quite a bit.
probably just a bad seal install when it was built. Started noticing the coolant down a little and then saw the first puddle under it after sitting at work all day. Two days later there was a larger puddle after 5 hours so I got it changed out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts