Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced my oil cooler about 4 weeks ago. After an 1100 mile trip I had the wrench light again and a 40'delta. So I attributed that to the VC9 flush possibly clogging the new one up. So I changed it again last week and now 100 miles later I am getting 30-40 degree deltas. Is there something that may be causing the high oil temps other than the cooler? Thanks for any help. I am monitoring with a CTS and the truck is an 05 with 99000 miles and it's 5th oil cooler

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
What is your coolant temp when checking?
Also, what speed are you driving at to check and are you towing anything?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last night doing 70 unloaded coolant was 203 and oil was 241. When towing a flatbed with a jeep on it I had 218 and 253.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Based on the pic of that coolant filter you posted previously it seems you are doomed. You may be flushing until you're blue in the face.

It's possible there's enough stuff still lodged in the rad it just keeps breaking loose and reclogging the cooler. Rad replacement may be necessary in addition to a good heater core backflush

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have flushed her till all was clear. Both block plugs and radiator included. This time ill pull the radiator and replace it. I just want a reliable truck!!!

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
how many miles you got? sounds like more than your cooler is plugged, probably ports in the block. may be time to run her tell she dies and start saving now for full rebuild.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Id trade that thing in so fast. Some of these trucks are just not worth it, others seem trouble free...id try to find a trouble free one.

Jason

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Let me throw this out there, there is a thread around here where someone talks about an oil cooler bypass valve in the oil cooler housing. Apparently if that bypass valve fails, your oil is bypassed the oil cooler. Other than that, I'm gonna go with trashed radiator too.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
It is possible that there is enough junk in it that it reclogged the cooler. I did a complete flush until it was clear, (flushed for 10 hours) on an 06 and then replaced oil cooler. One month later, oil cooler was clogged. Replaced cooler and all is good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This truck has been relatively trouble free for the last 20k miles. It it used for towing and usually nothing else. I tow a 15k 5th wheel and also a 10 k car hauler almost every other week. It had the second oil cooler put in at 53k miles I am now at 99k miles. 3 coolers in the last month with no help. When the first cooler was done I never reached 250. Now with the last two I have hit 255 with each while the coolant was 203-218. I hope that one more and I'll be in the clear. I prefer not to have a truck payment so a new truck is not an option. But maybe it is time to suck it up and put her to bed. If any techs see this and don't mind looking at her oasis report and tellIng me thier opinion on keeping and trying to fix or trade it out, I appriciate it. Her VIN is 1FTWW32P85EA61109. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Let me throw this out there, there is a thread around here where someone talks about an oil cooler bypass valve in the oil cooler housing. Apparently if that bypass valve fails, your oil is bypassed the oil cooler. Other than that, I'm gonna go with trashed radiator too.

This.^^^^^^^

Also realize that all that muck that came out of ur "defect" Baldwin filter is probably still somewhere lodged in your cooling system. Possibly in lumps somewhere inside your radiator. At this point get a new radiator and quite possibly a bd oil cooler and count ur losses. A new $60,000 truck ain't gonna solve ur problems.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

Here's an interesting link....http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/193952-oil-cooler-bypass-valve.html

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
This truck has been relatively trouble free for the last 20k miles. It it used for towing and usually nothing else. I tow a 15k 5th wheel and also a 10 k car hauler almost every other week. It had the second oil cooler put in at 53k miles I am now at 99k miles. 3 coolers in the last month with no help. When the first cooler was done I never reached 250. Now with the last two I have hit 255 with each while the coolant was 203-218. I hope that one more and I'll be in the clear. I prefer not to have a truck payment so a new truck is not an option. But maybe it is time to suck it up and put her to bed. If any techs see this and don't mind looking at her oasis report and tellIng me thier opinion on keeping and trying to fix or trade it out, I appriciate it. Her VIN is 1FTWW32P85EA61109. Thanks guys
Going this path will cost you considerably more than the $2k you'd spend on a BPD kit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would not buy a brand new truck, just a new to me/clean oasis report one. Or go 2004 CTD with a manual trans and try my luck there. I would sell mine and try to pay for another without getting myself into a payment. I just need a reliable tow rig

·
Premium Member
11,066 Posts
Heaven forbid if you have a bad sensor. Spending $30 must be more difficult than swapping out oil coolers. K.I.S.S.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you want to KISS somebody, pick somebody else as I prefer women. The sensor was replaced and the issue continued. Both coolers I have pulled failed the flow tests.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts