Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I think I want a 5" exhaust for the sound. I was going to go with the 4" DP, but have heard that I will lose HP and mileage unless I go with the 3.5. It is hard for me to understand why this would be the case. I would think that more flow is better. I would be interested in personal experience - preferrably backed up with some data. Then an explanation as to why would be nice. I hope to only spend money on the exhaust once to get what I want (good mileage and good towing setup). BTW, I plan on getting a DP Tuner and Jody says I want 3.5" DP and 4" exhaust. I just haven't gotten a real good explanation as to why this is best.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The stock turbo outlet is 2.8", the high flow outlets are 3.2".

Info can be corroborated here:
Diesel

·
The Fat Mod
12,508 Posts
BTW, the 5in setup's are for bragging rights only.
Maybe, but mine sure did sound good :D

The OP said he was doing it mostly for sound. It is over kill for sure, but maybe someone will need to get a honda out of the rain :wink[3]:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks for the input. Let's explore a bit more:

I agree that 5" is overkill, but hey it just might be cool and I could use cool points :hehe:

I will do a DP tuner some day (after gauges). From what I have read, I may end up with Turbo Surge. Then I have a choice of an ATS housing or WW. I already have some pretty good Turbo whine with the Foil delete and Airaid intake. I have also heard that the WW is less efficient than stock - not sure what that means or whether I want to go there. I would then lean toward the ATS. What is its outlet size and does this change whether I should go with 3.5 or 4" DP?

BTW, I am straight piped now.

Mike.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The ATS is on the compressor side of the turbo, it does not affect the down pipe side. That is still up to you.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The WW changes the surge line further up the turbo MAP. In effect it is less efficient in the lower RPM than a stock wheel. However the trade off is surge being eliminated. The wicked wheel can help eliminate surge.

That ATS housing is a ported housing that eliminates the surge completely.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Didn't Maintain and scuffy and sea71 do a before and after dyno with the WW and I think it was only 1.5 hp less with the WW on...FWIW...

later

·
Registered
72 Posts
i just got done puttin a WW, 4in down pipe to 7in stacks on mine sounds awsome. noticed a increase in power and no loss of boost and my turbo surge went away. and it def made my turbo wistle a whole lot more. from personal exp i recommend a WW and a 4in down pipe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts