Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6R140 The 3-4 shift goes into “neutral” for a couple seconds. Started with PDI tunes, heard so many positive things about GDP I bought their tunes, both TCMs get same results. Changed/flush added a BD Diesel pressure enhancer, the other shifts greatly improved. But not the 3-4. I tow 12,000lbs weekly and when I’m towing I “M” shift the gears, the 3-4 takes a good 3 seconds before I can resume throttle. No codes. 60,000miles. Took it to the transmission shop that I’ve used and trust, He doesn’t have any answers without remove and rebuild but thinks it’s a blown seal. Once the shift completes there is no slippage. I've never moved the SOTF off of 0HP, good grief these things have almost 1000fp torque.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you tried resetting the TCM? You can reset it via EZ link or disconnect both batteries for about 30 minutes. If that doesn't work I would replace your throttle body before doing a rebuild much cheaper. SPE offers a throttle body to eliminate shift flares. I experience the same shift flare occasionally on my 2012, not a good feeling when your truck falls straight to its face.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, there is a KAM reset from PDI tuning I ran then installed the new TCM tune. Then after several thousand miles bought GDP tunes with the same results. I probably started this thread at the wrong time since I'm going on vacation for a couple weeks and the truck will be sitting home. I do think I'll look for a new or aftermarket throttle body to install. The info with throttle bodies or rebuilt transmissions all say that they need Ford to reprogram the TCM, Does anyone know if the KAM reset will do it? Does ForScan? Auto Enginuity?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm bad, Valve Body

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar issue. 2017 F350 6.7L, 73k miles, stock everything, no tune. I had hard shifts going from 3 to 4 and noticeable shifts going from 5 to 4. So 4 seemed to be an issue. I replaced all the shift solenoids, seemed to correct it. I took it to the dealer this week and had them do the service bulletin for the P0170 code which requires a flash. After I picked the truck up and drove it home it had a hard shift from 3 to 4 again. I am hoping this time it just needs to relearn since it just was flashed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys got the same problem 2017 f250 with GDP tune! I blew a transmission from this issue it just got worse and worse at 68,000 miles now on the new transmission I am starting to get the same problem again with 75,000 miles...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Sonnax remanufactured valve body dosen't offer one for the 17's. I'm looking at the SPE valve body, I'll be calling them tomorrow. I did contact Proven Diesel about the KAM reset and they say that is all I'll need for the reflash, Yeah! I do like the PDI transmission tunes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Over the weekend I replaced solenoid "E" overdrive(4,5,6) ran the KAM reset and then loaded my TCM tune. Drove it to relearn by 0-70 light throttle, 0-70 medium throttle, then 0-70 heavy throttle WOT. and of course it shifted pretty rough. Per my ez-lynk/autoagent shifts 1-3 & 5-6 all take +/- .45 second and the 3-4 sift takes +/-1.50 second but the "neutral" is totally gone. Yesterday I towed my 15,000lbs engaged the EB and towing mode and was very happy with shifting. I think it has some learning to do, but I'm pleased with the progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: Over the weekend I replaced solenoid "E" overdrive(4,5,6) ran the KAM reset and then loaded my TCM tune. Drove it to relearn by 0-70 light throttle, 0-70 medium throttle, then 0-70 heavy throttle WOT. and of course it shifted pretty rough. Per my ez-lynk/autoagent shifts 1-3 & 5-6 all take +/- .45 second and the 3-4 sift takes +/-1.50 second but the "neutral" is totally gone. Yesterday I towed my 15,000lbs engaged the EB and towing mode and was very happy with shifting. I think it has some learning to do, but I'm pleased with the progress.
After I had put all new shift solenoids in and had the system Flashed, it was "rough". I just recently did 1,250 miles pulling a trailer and it has gotten better. It is still "noticeable" from 3 to 4 but not very hard. Going to keep an eye on it. I do not know enough about it to know if it is something internal (mechanical). I have no tune (all stock) and only have 77k miles on it (2017 F350).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update, Shifting continues to get better. Towed twice last week, it's so nice to be able to just put the tow mode on and drive in D and expect nice shifting.
Does anyone know anything about the SPE valve body? their website says it will drop operating temps 30d, How is that even possible?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.