Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Looking for some help deciding what to do and it's driving me nuts. Purchasing a 2021 lariat with 20" tires. I tow apx. 6K lbs and that's only occasionally with a dump trailer. I know I could get away with an F150 BUT I like the SuperDuty and I like Diesels. Mostly driven around town with some highways. I also live on top of a hill. One sales guy at the Dealership said to get the 3.55 and when his manager came over manager said to get the 3.31. Said I wouldn't notice any difference and I would get better fuel mileage. Leaning towards the 3.31 BUT wondering if it's really true. I know the truck has plenty of power BUT would you feel any difference when starting off? Not punching the pedal but normal driving. Does the gear ratios in the 10sp make them feel the same or driving normal would there be any seat of the pants noticeable difference between them both. Test driving two identical trucks with different gears would you be able to tell which one had the 3.55's? Is one better for around town driving? Appreciate the help...

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I thought going to a 20" wheel forced you to option to the 3.55 ratio? But maybe it's changed on the new models...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Can order with any gears. Even with the Tremor package and 35" tires the 3.31 are still available.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
To answer your original question, I don't think you'd notice much difference driving around town unloaded, but you might notice the difference when towing (even with a 6k trailer). I'd recommend going with the 3.55 ratio for slightly better performance when towing, and also for slightly better resale value, since odds are the next owner will probably tow more, and therefore prefer the 3.55 over the 3.31.

·
Registered
588 Posts
For the usage you describe, flip a coin.

I think there is some truth to the 10 speed masking the gear ratio, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell. But I'll never leave stock tires on either, so I'll always opt for a deeper gear set. Over the life of a vehicle, I'd bet a shorter gear would net better average fuel economy for most point a to point b people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the usage you describe, flip a coin.

I think there is some truth to the 10 speed masking the gear ratio, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell. But I'll never leave stock tires on either, so I'll always opt for a deeper gear set. Over the life of a vehicle, I'd bet a shorter gear would net better average fuel economy for most point a to point b people.
I'm getting too old to go too big with tires.. :oops:
Thanks.. shorter gears = 3:31?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer your original question, I don't think you'd notice much difference driving around town unloaded, but you might notice the difference when towing (even with a 6k trailer). I'd recommend going with the 3.55 ratio for slightly better performance when towing, and also for slightly better resale value, since odds are the next owner will probably tow more, and therefore prefer the 3.55 over the 3.31.
Thanks.. Resale is something to consider. I found a dealers that still has two 2020 with 3.31's on the lot. Wanted to test them side by side but can't find any with 3.55.. Found an F350 with 3.55 which is a little heavier but worth driving anyway.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Thanks.. Resale is something to consider. I found a dealers that still has two 2020 with 3.31's on the lot. Wanted to test them side by side but can't find any with 3.55.. Found an F350 with 3.55 which is a little heavier but worth driving anyway.
If the only trucks left on the lot are 3.31's that might tell you something right there... everyone wants the 3.55's

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,364 Posts
I have a 2016 with the 3.31s and 36in tires... Dont worry about 3.31s, truck still performs.

Also, if all you tow is 6k, 3.31s will be plenty good especially if you dont put big heavy tires on it like i did.

Reactions: SteveKoz

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went back into the vehicle configurator to double check. The only gears available on the tremor is 3.55. If you try to change it, it removes the tremor pkg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went back into the vehicle configurator to double check. The only gears available on the tremor is 3.55. If you try to change it, it removes the tremor pkg.

I see that too. Didn't get the alert last time I tried. Tried it again this morning and 3.55 with Tremor.. (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have a 2016 with the 3.31s and 36in tires... Dont worry about 3.31s, truck still performs.

Also, if all you tow is 6k, 3.31s will be plenty good especially if you dont put big heavy tires on it like i did.
Thanks. If 3.31s perform well in your 2016 with a 6 speed they shouldn't be any problem at all with the 10spd.. In hind sight do you wish you got 3.55's? I know this topic of gears becomes subjective. What someone feels is under powered or doggy is perfectly fine for someone else. The old question of what makes you smile more, driving a truck that feels like an animal but gets worst fuel economy or driving up to the pump and seeing mid 20's. Between these 2 gear sets I'm guessing the animal feel is pretty close and the fuel economy is pretty close all depending on how you like to drive the truck. Going to see if I can test drive an F250 with 3.31's today. Drive it like I own it and hope it makes me smile.. Of course it would be great to then drive the 3.55's and see if I smiled more... and my crazy circle continues.. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 20 CCSB, FX4, 6.7, 3.31 with the stock 20" wheels and tow about 6K too and it stays in 10 gear and only downshifts on big hills, go for the 3.31 the 6.7 can handle it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 20 CCSB, FX4, 6.7, 3.31 with the stock 20" wheels and tow about 6K too and it stays in 10 gear and only downshifts on big hills, go for the 3.31 the 6.7 can handle it.
Thanks.. Did you test drive your truck with 3.55's? Is there any noticeable difference when starting off without trailering? Any seat of the pants difference with normal driving, not pedal stomping just normal driving? Wondering if the 3.55's make the truck feel lighter mainly at start offs. Thanks again.!

·
Registered
2 Posts
NO, I did not, I doubt it, torque is what moves you and with this much torque and a 6K load I doubt you'd notice anything.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,364 Posts
Thanks. If 3.31s perform well in your 2016 with a 6 speed they shouldn't be any problem at all with the 10spd.. In hind sight do you wish you got 3.55's? I know this topic of gears becomes subjective. What someone feels is under powered or doggy is perfectly fine for someone else. The old question of what makes you smile more, driving a truck that feels like an animal but gets worst fuel economy or driving up to the pump and seeing mid 20's. Between these 2 gear sets I'm guessing the animal feel is pretty close and the fuel economy is pretty close all depending on how you like to drive the truck. Going to see if I can test drive an F250 with 3.31's today. Drive it like I own it and hope it makes me smile.. Of course it would be great to then drive the 3.55's and see if I smiled more... and my crazy circle continues.. :)
I think the 3.55s would pair better with the 36s but in retrospect, i dont think it would make a big enough difference to worry about it. And like you, i tow medium weight everyonce in a while.

I wouldnt buy a truck based off either ratio unless that was the only difference...

Fwiw, i got 23-25 mpg when the truck was completely stock. (Unloaded mostly freeway)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I guess it depends on the tow use. Planning on getting a 10k 5th wheel, so when I check the hctp for the payload, it auto selects the 3.55 ratio. I would think 3.31 occasionally towing 6k wouldn’t be an issue.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,364 Posts
I had a 3 horse slant load gooseneck with the office/storage thing in the front. (Steel not aluminum).

Never fully loaded but the truck never knew it was there (aside from the sad excuse.for rear leaf springs)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate all the responses. Sharing what I found if anyone else has the same questions I had. Had a chance to drive both over the weekend at dealerships over an hour apart from each other. Drove the 3.55 first. It was an F350 Limited. Fell in love before we even started the engine. Truck had plenty of power but felt jerky on a few quick starts. Not pedal stompers but aggressive takeoffs. I wondered if the truck maybe had some tranny problems. On normal driving it ran great. Second was an F250 stripped down Lariat with the 3.31. We took this out for over 30 minutes driving like we owned it. Truck ran great. While playing trying to change the gauge view to show a different tach view I found the drive modes. In Traction control and aggressive take off the traction control kicked in causing a jerky type feeling. Guessing that's what was set on the F350 Limited. Too far a drive to go back to verify BUT no reason to either. With 3.31 there was a huge amount of available power. Yes on pedal stomping take offs you can feel some difference which is cool but not something I would do too often. I just don't drive that way. I set it on ECO and the truck did everything asked for and more. My thinking.. with 3.31 IF I wanted a bit more pull at start off I could use a tad more pedal, there is MORE than enough there. Normal driving you save a few MPG's and on the highway manually switching between 9 and 10 I felt the engine settle down a bit which was nice. With the 3.55's you get that tad more power automatically at take off with normal driving but it costs you a bit in the MPG's. I can do a little something with 3.31's to compensate the difference in take off pull if I wanted but can't do much to reduce MPG's and the bit smoother highway with the 3.55's. I appreciate all the help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts