Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2008 F250 with the 6.4 crew cab and I can't believe how bad the traction in wet grass or the slightest of mud. *I buddy of mine was saying diesels are really bad about this because of the weight of the engine, is that correct and if so does the 4WD 250 diesel perform that much better, he was saying that due to the engine weight that even the 4WD had a tendency to sink and get dug in? *

I pull a 30' camper so like the diesel but I also do a lot of deer hunting and need to be able to get off road. *

This is my first diesel so I have no baseline on performance. *

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
It prolly has more of a highway tire on it then. My truck is 4x4 and I found my self constantly spinning in grass or anything off pavement that wasn't flat. Unloaded there is hardly any weight in the back to help grip up so I was always having to put it in 4 wheel off road. Then got the trail grapplers and the only time I have used 4wd is when I took it to the drag strip. Even with no weight in the back they dig a lot better. But to answer your question, the Diesel engine is heavy which sinks the front end and unloaded leaves not very much weight at the back to get you out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't Decide

Thanks. Can’t decide if I want to bite the bullet and trade again for the F250 diesel in 4WD or just change out the tires and perhaps add a winch to the front.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My opinion would be go 4wd. Sounds like it will suit your needs better and the resale is much on a 4wd. Good luck though

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
since you have the 2wd truck already, put a nice set of AT or MT tires on it and that will help out alot. If you know you are going to out running around in the dirt, put a little weight in the bed to help.

·
Registered
769 Posts
A great set of tires makes a huge difference in the traction department. Do not discount their value.

How often are you driving in wet grass that you'd trade in a truck just to get more traction?

Any 2WD truck should be at a disadvantage to a 4WD truck in low traction situations. It doesn't matter the brand or engine (all else equal). The advantage 4WD gives you is two more wheels that can "find" traction in a different spot. The power down to each wheel is also an advantage.

I'd say unless you're muddin' a lot or racing on wet grass, I'd stick with a 2WD and good tires for a while and see if that meets my needs before I drop all that extra coin on a 4WD. That winch will help a lot too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. The truck does have street tires on it so I was thinking some AT’s would help a lot plus I tow my camper a lot and the fuel mileage will suffer if I do the 4WD.

In the fall when it deer hunting session I am pulling onto tractor roads (dirt) almost every weekend and even some weekdays for about three to four months, I do a lot of hunting.

·
Registered
769 Posts
My ATs pack with a mud a lot but are the most aggressive tires I'd run simply because I drive a lot more highway miles than grass/mud miles. I drag logs with my truck (so I can get to them with my chainsaw mill) and rarely have to put it in 4WD unless the grass or dirt is soaked and the log is really heavy. If I'm pulling with the nose, I usually have to throw it in 4WD with heavier logs (as the heavy drag tends to lift the rear wheels).

To me, it sounds like having a good extra set of hunting tires and rims would do you a lot of good. Only you know what's more valuable to you. Maybe those roads are really nasty and you don't want to get out of the truck every 1/4 mile to winch yourself out. Or, maybe you have long seasons where traction is limited. Those would probably make me choice a 4WD.

All your choice of course. Just weigh it out and pick what's best for you.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
On my old 250 we'd throw some w eight in the bed and run A/T's. Worked pretty well.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Teh OP's scenario reminds me of one in my work trukk, 2002 F250 2WD Triton engine. regular cab.It has a service bed, loaded with tools wire, roof rack with ladders. We were on wet grass, backing up and tire were just spinning, truck not moving. I remember teh tires were just plain street tires. With some better tires im sure it would hav done better.

·
Registered
337 Posts
A good set of AT or MT tires that don't pack to easy and a winch you can go thru a lot of stuff just remember its not a 4x4. I've owned 2 4x4's and found that they are real good for getting you stuck further out then a 2 wheel drive truck. LOL Just remember forward momentum and tires ablility to self clean with wheel spin will help you get thru most stuff you'd consider running thru. Just my .02 worth. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I will put a set of the Cooper Discovery STT's on it and see how it does. I’ve read some good reviews on this tire and it sounds like a good compromise tire for both my towing and hunting needs. I’ve never had Cooper brand tires but like that they are American made.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Without some aggressive mt's your going to get stuck on anything except pavement or packed gravel. I've had to put my truck in 4wd to get out of deep new gravel. The motors are so heavy the front end just sinks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put a set of Cooper AT/3’s on it yesterday and will be hunting this weekend so we’ll see how they do, they look great.

My last truck was an F150 4X4 with the 5.4 in it and that thing would go anyplace so this is a big change for me. Love the towing power of the diesel and the better fuel mileage when towing but man it’s a huge traction difference.

Thanks for all the feedback it was helpful in making a decision.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think a lot of the traction issues come from the stiff chassis and springs not allowing the axle to articulate and put weight on both tires. I have seen my truck with good tires on almost flat dry ground spin and go nowhere. A surprisingly small dip under one rear tire and you have no traction. If you still have issues with good tires, a rear locker should solve your problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Woohoo, daddy got some new shoes, Cooper AT/3 and it is an amazing difference! I’ve been off on wet grass and damp dirt and the truck has not even offered to slip. The Cooper’s were not cheap (about $1,050) installed for the set of 4 but they look great and don’t have any road hum that you typically get with AT tires. Thanks for all the advice, I still may put a winch on the front just because I want one :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts