Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey... So I did some research and figured about the biggest tire I could run on a stock F-250 (leave me alone!!) would be a 295/65 r20 on the stock wheels.

I ended up going with the metric size over the standard 35x12.50 r20 simply because of the capacity on a metric tire over a standard.

Anyhow, these are some ref pics for documentation and hopefully helping someone else down the road. These are Nitto Terra Grappler G2s.

So far on level ground and normal day to day driving no rubbing has occurred.

A little before/after:
Untitled by a.hoglen, on Flickr

Pretty Full:

These are some "full-lock" pics:

(I just threw the bracket into place there, i'm putting it back on tomorrow)

I don't know that you could go much bigger on stock wheels without some rubbing or modification. The closest clearance appeared to be a draw between the sway bar and fender liner.

And now for a few "stance" pics.. Sorry they aren't hanging 6" outside the fenders.. I'm a no-nonsense kind of guy...

Anyways, I also want to say thanks to the guys at Home - Discount Tire Direct for being super-helpful and the rebates, free shipping and no sales tax were nice also! They got me the tires I wanted when the local guys wouldn't go any father than telling me that their distributor didn't have any in stock.

Sorry for all the pictures. It's what I do. Everyone should sign up for a flickr act over photobucket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
a-hoglen, looks good and thanks for the info as I am looking at going to the same size tire on my truck. I have a question for you though, I have the dealer installed mud flaps, and do you think that the tires would still clear with the mud flaps installed? Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know. It's pretty close on that 7th pic. I don't really know how the flaps install but there is only about 3/4" clearance there

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
MOAR LIFT!!! jk looks good IMO. Usually people stuff M/Ts on stock and it looks goofy but with those A/Ts it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. I do a lot of driving on road and anything off-road is comparable to a fire-road or here around the little farm area we have. The noise and squirrelly-ness of a m/t aren't worth the rewards for me. If I ever get stuck I'll just pull it out with the tractor.

I don't know about a lift. I might do a leveling kit at some point when I switch the shocks out to something more suitable. I don't want to loose the ability to easily pull a trailer for esthetics.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Yeah. I do a lot of driving on road and anything off-road is comparable to a fire-road or here around the little farm area we have. The noise and squirrelly-ness of a m/t aren't worth the rewards for me. If I ever get stuck I'll just pull it out with the tractor.

I don't know about a lift. I might do a leveling kit at some point when I switch the shocks out to something more suitable. I don't want to loose the ability to easily pull a trailer for esthetics.
A small level would make a big difference and shouldn't hinder your towing ability at all. I saw one the other day with some 35" A/Ts on it and a level and it looked nice in person. It was pulling a huge enclosed lawn maintenance trailer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Im running the same size on my stock 2014 F-350 but in a Toyo. I am also very happy with the size and performance. No rubbing what so ever; I've had them on for almost 9k miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hoglen,

Thanks for the info and posting those photos. I'm looking at getting the exact same tire size (Nitto Ridge Grappler though) and don't want to put a lift or leveling kit. I'm looking for aftermarket wheels though. Looking at either a +1 or +20 offset. Would you be able to take two measurements for me? I want to see how much room is at full lock at both the the front and back end of the fender side. With the offset it should have no issues with rubbing on the inside. Just concern about the outside rub. The pics show where I'm hoping you can measure for me. If you have the time to do so it be awesome!

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great look. I am glad you figured out the right size, saves me the trouble of digging through countless pages find out what will fit. That really looks great. I did end up going with a level so hoping I get just a touch more clearance. Also yours is the exact color scheme as mine. Love the two tone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hoglen,

Thanks for the info and posting those photos. I'm looking at getting the exact same tire size (Nitto Ridge Grappler though) and don't want to put a lift or leveling kit. I'm looking for aftermarket wheels though. Looking at either a +1 or +20 offset. Would you be able to take two measurements for me? I want to see how much room is at full lock at both the the front and back end of the fender side. With the offset it should have no issues with rubbing on the inside. Just concern about the outside rub. The pics show where I'm hoping you can measure for me. If you have the time to do so it be awesome!
Have you ordered the Ridge Grappler yet? I used to have Trail Grapplers on an older truck but I like the compromise of the Ridge... I have been trying to decide between the two and look for pictures to help make my mind up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you ordered the Ridge Grappler yet? I used to have Trail Grapplers on an older truck but I like the compromise of the Ridge... I have been trying to decide between the two and look for pictures to help make my mind up.
Looks like you have the same type of mud flaps that I have. Wondering if the 295/65/20 would still fit without rubbing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like you have the same type of mud flaps that I have. Wondering if the 295/65/20 would still fit without rubbing.
Mine are WeatherTech.. I am not sure if they will clear without rubbing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
What is the load range on those tires I do some heavy towing and need to do tires soon this looks like a nice setup but I am curious about the load range.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
OP hope you're still around to give some remarks on the tire. I'm about to kill my toyo R/T's pretty soon due to the increased milage I've been putting on and wondering how the AT is wearing. I got 20k on my Toyos and expect maybe 15-20k out of em more. First set of AT/aggressive tires...it was all fun and games until I noticed the tread is showing some wear now.

I have a buddy who's claiming to have gotten about 70k out of his nitto AT's on his dually....in a year lol..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hoglen,

+20 will be less likely to rub than +1

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
I'm putting 296/65/20 Ridge Grapplers on my 2016 next week (with OEM 20s). Will post a few pics when they are mounted. Here she is with the leveling springs installed yesterday and the OEM michelins.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts