Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new enclosed trailer and am looking at either a 28 or 32 foot tag. I will be using it to haul motorcycles (as many as will fit). If I can get 8 in I will probably be at 11-12K lbs (trailer and load). My truck is as listed below. I am going to go back to load range E tires. My rear spring stacks were replaced with F350 springs. I have a Class A CDL (used to own a 50T Rogers Lowbed and 12T tiltdeck).

I am planning on upgrading my brake controller and hitch to WD. Does anyone foresee any issues?

Thanks for all comments!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tow Behind.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Are you hauling for yourself or commercially, also, if your pulling a tag, I'd look at getting a topper to help with fuel economy.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Are you hauling for yourself or commercially, also, if your pulling a tag, I'd look at getting a topper to help with fuel economy.
Does the topper make that much difference? Dang. By how much??? And another good idea is one of those things for your hitch. Not sure what its called, but it helps distribute the weight of the trailer. so you dont have soo much tongue weight. Someone please help me out with the name????

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I went with the Reese/Straightline weight distribution with the cam style stabilizers and it works great. I only have a 20' enclosed v-nose but it solved all my towing issues.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Your truck should have no problem hauling that size trailer. It sounds like you already know what you need - Good brake controller and weight distributing hitch.

You might want to add a set of Firestone Ride-Rite airbags to the rear of your truck if you are getting a toyhauler trailer because they are heavy at the front.

If you are just planning a fully open enclosed trailer then you probably won't need airbags.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input- it is greatly appreciated!

I will be hauling commercially, but even if I end up heavy on the trailer GVWR I have a Class A CDL so I am not concerned there.

I already have a Leer Topper, best thing I ever did for fuel economy in general - I gained almost 1.5 MPG- I hand calculate every time I fill.

·
Registered
167 Posts
why dont you get a gooseneck or fifth wheel instead of the bumper pull trailer? they haul way better than bumber pulls. And what is a tag?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Bumper pull/tag/tag along = same thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why dont you get a gooseneck or fifth wheel instead of the bumper pull trailer? they haul way better than bumber pulls. And what is a tag?
I have a topper now that I need for the other parts of my life when not towing- I dont want to be taking that off and putting it back. I will be hauling bikes and need floor space.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts