Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Opti-Lube Xpd since I got my truck last year. I usually order the additive in the 1 gallon jugs because of a little discount over the quart size.
This past week I went to the Opti-Lube website to reorder my usual 2 gallons.
PRICE HAS GONE UP BY $10 FOR A GALLON.
That's a 25% price increase folks. ....matter of fact I noticed the 25% PRICE INCREASE ACROSS THE BOARD.
WTF....That's a hell of an increase to slap on customers all at one time.

I am now having second thoughts on using the product...I am considering going back to Power Service Diesel Kleen like I used to run in my other trucks.

I had switched over to Opti-Lube because of this "Spicer Report" that was done about 5 years ago because I wanted the best Lubricancy but after doing more and more research.....there really is no more information.

Diesel Kleen uses "Slick Diesel" in their product now for Lubricancy and I don't think this version of DK was used in the original testing.

This price increase of 25% has left a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I was using Diesel Kleen and decided to try some of the Ford stuff since I was at the dealer picking up fluids and I needed some diesel additives.

I have noticed that while the truck runs no quieter or smoother, the MPG has gone up. I am still driving the same areas and frequency, but I cannot confirm if the fuel at the pump has changed any (winter vs summer). I doubt it.

Granted, I'm not saying it's gone up 30% or anything like that. It's up almost a half mile per gallon though. So, that's about a 3-4% increase. On the highway it was reading really high on the lie-o-meter, but I can't confirm its accuracy. FWIW, it was reading about 2.5 MPG better than usual under the same driving conditions.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
You could also try running the Rev-X fuel additive. There aren't any reports, that I have seen, comparing the Rev-X to the others. However, Rev-X does have a great reputation so I'm ASSUMING the fuel additive is just as good.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
The Rev X fuel additive rocks. Ive been running it since it came out

·
Registered
994 Posts
I stick with diesel Kleen. Run 16 oz every fill up. Easy to get at Walmart and I'm confident it is helping with lubrication. I could care less about fuel mileage. Keeping my injectors clean and lubricated is what matters to me.

I also run sea foam once every two months. My diesel mechanic swears by it and I ran it every tank on my 6,0 and after 120k miles she ran better than when I bought her.

My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
640 Posts
My friend told me he saw a recent article in Diesel Power which claimed that Diesel Kleen is basically useless and Opti-Lube is the best. Can anybody confirm/deny this? I've been using Diesel Kleen since I bought my truck.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
My friend told me he saw a recent article in Diesel Power which claimed that Diesel Kleen is basically useless and Opti-Lube is the best. Can anybody confirm/deny this? I've been using Diesel Kleen since I bought my truck.
There is another thread here somewhere that had a comparison chart. Opti was the best followed by biodiesel. 2 stroke ashless oil was on there too. Then came diesel kleen. None of them are useless because they all increase lubrication. However, the amount of lube varied drastically.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I was using Diesel Kleen and decided to try some of the Ford stuff since I was at the dealer picking up fluids and I needed some diesel additives.

I have noticed that while the truck runs no quieter or smoother, the MPG has gone up. I am still driving the same areas and frequency, but I cannot confirm if the fuel at the pump has changed any (winter vs summer). I doubt it.

Granted, I'm not saying it's gone up 30% or anything like that. It's up almost a half mile per gallon though. So, that's about a 3-4% increase. On the highway it was reading really high on the lie-o-meter, but I can't confirm its accuracy. FWIW, it was reading about 2.5 MPG better than usual under the same driving conditions.
I run Ford Cetane booster. It definitely gets .5 mpg better or more. Much quieter and smoother than no additive. IMO good value.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I run Ford Cetane booster. It definitely gets .5 mpg better or more. Much quieter and smoother than no additive. IMO good value.
How much does Ford charge for theirs?

·
Registered
769 Posts
thats not a bad price doss. our stealership prices are ridiculous.
Yeah, I have two dealerships that are fairly large really close to me. One is pretty ridiculous on pricing and the other is more reasonable.

Example, I bought 20 quarts of Mercon LV. 1 dealer was at $7.49 and the other was $6.49. When I went to the second dealer and told them they were cheaper than the other one but not as cheap as I could order it online, the guy gave me a discount of about 75 cents off per quart.

I'll definitely deal with that dealership more even though it is slightly farther of a drive... well, it's 15 miles farther... but that's 2 gallons of fuel (or less in my car) and I buy a lot at one time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That is a good price, plus only having to use 4 ounces per tank is awesome.

·
Registered
769 Posts
by it for less from Sunrise ford a sponsor on here
Is their price cheaper once shipped? There is a point where I'm willing just to buy it locally than from a sponsor who has to ship it if the price is too close.

Buying locally has its benefits too.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
DK has claimed to have improved there lubricity since that test came out. Not sure if that's true or not

1 - 20 of 20 Posts