Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice. I have 20x10 wheels with -24 offset, on top of that I have 305/55r20 Terra Grappler tires (so approx. 33x12 tires). The truck is in the works and is close to being done, has not seen the road with the new tires and wheels yet. I have recently heard a lot of bad things about wide wheels, especially with rock chips. I have also heard that to avoid this I should get fender flares and/ or mud flaps. The truck also does not have running boards AND I live on a gravel lane. I really don't want fender flares, I like the aggressive look that the wheels and tires give, I'd be fine with only mud flaps or running boards, but if I REALLY need fender flares to protect the truck I'm willing to do it. If anyone can, I'm looking for opinions or let me know if anyone has been in a similar situation.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,716 Posts
Whats your backspace on those 10" wide wheels ?

If your 4-1/2 - 5" along with another 24mm your gonna be swinging rubber in turns and would be a good idea.

My truck has 18x10 with 5" backspace 0 offset and my tires are 2" past fenders. 38/15.50/18

LOL I have same size tires on our 2003 Tahoe. But Goodyear Radials 305/55/20

Heres a shot of mine out of the fenders

Reactions: 07" Extendo Cab

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The backspacing is 4.56 if it helps. I'm aware that I'm probably going to need to do some trimming on the front bumper and eventually invest in a leveling kit. Just to clarify, do you normally run fender flares on your truck?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
You will have to do the trimming on the back of the front fender (not the fender, but the back of the wheel well.) On mine, i have like 2 inches of travel, before the tire hits right there, when the wheel is is turned. That part of the truck I am not looking forward to trimming at all. I clear the outer part of the fenders just fine, with my 37's. And my tires stick out like the white truck above, but with my fender flares, it looks about even, the way it should.

Fender flares will make it look better in my opinion. When the wheels stick outside of the fenders, to me, it makes the truck look like a toy. Might as well paint the truck yellow and apply a big sticker on the tailgate that says 'TONKA'

By the way, there's a Chevy fullsize truck in town here that someone did that too....looks pretty cool actually.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Let's be honest here, trucks are just really big toys either way :grin:

Anyway, I respect your opinion, but I really like the aggressive look that it gives, especially with the Terra Grapplers. I'm leaning toward just getting mud flaps, from other threads I hear that Mud flaps are a must if you don't want a ton of rock chips. That being said, does anyone know of some mud flaps that will stick out from the fender enough to cover the tires and wheels? I'll need to measure to see exactly how far they stick out from under the truck, I just don't want them to look like this since these are designed to have fender flares over top of them:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trimming/ Leveling kit advice

Need advice on what to do, have a 2007 f250 extended cab, short bed. I bought a new set of tires and wheels- Wheels are 20x10, -24 offset, 4.56 backspacing. Tires are 305/55r20 (approx 33x12). Aside from the issue of rock chips (open for advice in this area as well), I am aware that I'll be rubbing, as I still have the factory suspension. It's a project truck, and hasn't yet seen the road, but it's almost finished. The truck currently doesn't have most of the front clips on, just a hood, I'm just waiting on some warmer weather (since Ohio weather is extremely indecisive) so I can get some painting done and get the front clips back on. Just from shuffling the truck around I know that I'm rubbing on the back of the wheel well liner, but unaware to what extent since it's not on the road. I'm pretty sure I'll also be rubbing on the edge of the front bumper (not positive though because it doesn't have the front clips). I'm thinking about doing some trimming to cut down the rubbing and eventually invest in a leveling kit. Just tryna figure out what areas I'll be rubbing in for sure, where I'll need to do trimming, or if I should just invest in a leveling kit before I even worry about trimming. Open to any other suggestions as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Once the bumper is on and your ready to take the thing down the road, then i would see how badly it rubs and possibly invest in a leveling kit. By the way Sinister diesel is having a sale on leveling kits. $99.99 I Believe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts