Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 22 mpg from this past Saturday to Wednesday (yesterday) driving to our place in Clifton and to Waco. The hard part about getting this mileage was driving 55 mph or below 1500 rpm. I figured this with the old hand held calculator. I didn't check the air pressure in my tires (never got around to it) so I don't know how that impacted my mileage. If my tires are low I imagine I could squeeze out a tiny bit more mileage by putting them where they belong or slightly higher.
Anyways, thought I would share, also, I am now at 335,000 miles!
Craig

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:woot: Nice Craig... I can get 22 mp2g (mp2g = miles per 2 gallons.... :hehe:)
Hey John, I've felt like that before.

I wish it wasn't so hard to drive that slow. I like driving about 70 - 75 mph, but I like stretching time between fill-ups.
Craig

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I hear ya man! I have to restrain myself daily on the commute to and from work to keep the truck under 2000 rpm's :banghead: so far it has been paying off somewhat...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hey John, I've felt like that before.

I wish it wasn't so hard to drive that slow. I like driving about 70 - 75 mph, but I like stretching time between fill-ups.
Craig
What do you get at 70-75 mph?

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you get at 70-75 mph?
18 - 20mpg not towing anything of course. my goal is to stretch time between fill ups, seriously considering the veggie stroke but I have to until we are relocated to see what kind of supply I can acquire.
Craig

·
Registered
888 Posts
I got 22 mpg from this past Saturday to Wednesday (yesterday) driving to our place in Clifton and to Waco. The hard part about getting this mileage was driving 55 mph or below 1500 rpm. I figured this with the old hand held calculator. I didn't check the air pressure in my tires (never got around to it) so I don't know how that impacted my mileage. If my tires are low I imagine I could squeeze out a tiny bit more mileage by putting them where they belong or slightly higher.
Anyways, thought I would share, also, I am now at 335,000 miles!
Craig
Yeap, Keep it under 2000RPM and the heat down, and ya can do it.

But what fun is going 55PMH :thumb:

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
55 MPH Sucks.

I can sqeeze out 17-18 mpg going below 70 for the whole tank but not 20+! Good to hear!

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
i can get 20 pretty easy at 63 mph...55 is like watchin paint dry.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Craig i dropped down to 65 mph and i'm getting a steady 19 all the time. When i was pushing 70-75 i only got 16.9. Congrats on the 22 mpg's that's awesome!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wish I knew you guys are getting such good mileage. When I could afford to run straight petro diesel with my crew cab dually, the best I could get was 15 to 15.5 MPG. Now, with a heavy dose of biodiesel, I'm down in the high 13s. I'm 4x4 but I have the 3.73 rear , not the 4.11 or 4.56.
My 1997 SRW 4x4 used to get high teens in the summer time, but I never got over 20 with that. And my friends tell me I drive like an old woman (slow), so I don't know why my MPGs suck so bad. Is it that the factory 6.0 tune is THAT BAD for mileage?

·
Registered
134 Posts
i towed my car on a flatbed trailor and got 14.5 MPG at 70+. i know i can get around 22 on highway. i need an onboard calculator, because im tired of doing the math and i cant see what im getting on highway, unless i burn a lot on highway in one trip, then fill up again. anyone know of any type of calculator for MPG that is fairly cheap??

·
Land Yatch Driver
222 Posts
I was stoked I got 17.6 mpg @ 70 on a 550 mile trip from North Dakota on Tuesday, but 22, thats awesome!

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
I never get over 15 mpg.

Glad some of you are doing better than me!

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeap, Keep it under 2000RPM and the heat down, and ya can do it. But what fun is going 55PMH :thumb:
55 MPH Sucks. I can sqeeze out 17-18 mpg going below 70 for the whole tank but not 20+! Good to hear!
i can get 20 pretty easy at 63 mph...55 is like watchin paint dry.
I didn't think I had the self-discipline to do it (drive 55), but I did. At times, on long stretches, I thought I would be able to get out and walk next to the truck it felt like I was going so slow. I hope to go back down there this coming week. I'll drive like I did before and see if I can duplicate the mileage.
Craig

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I've gotten 20. Strictly highway, 70mph even, on cruise control the whole time, with the tailgate down. With that, at 3-7psi boost depending on hills and about 2300 or so rpms. (dually, auto tranny, 2wd, no tuner/programmer/chip)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have gotten to 21 but never 22...NICE :thumb: driving slow stinks but it saves money/makes others really bad they got behind you lol

·
Registered
474 Posts
All the big trucks are doing it, I've yet to figure out mine:tard:

·
haters gonna hate 24/7.
3,801 Posts
MAN, I must be doing something wrong..... i never get above 14.5 MPG's on my '95 PSD..... Thats even going 60 on the highway which i compare to getting my teeth pulled w/ no novicane :banghead:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts