Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to Powerstroke nation. I’ve got an 08 450 dually 4x4 here in California I use in my excavation business. Truck is a real workhorse and flawless. However starting in 2023 cali n it’s wisdom is going to outlaw commercial trucks over 14000 lbs if they don’t have a 2010 engine or newer. Can’t be registered. Can’t believe more forums aren’t bringing this issue up at all. Or I’m just not seeing them though I’ve looked. Any thoughts? Thx. Gene

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,173 Posts
Are you sure this applies to you? From what I'm reading, this applies to fleet trucks in Commercial operations.
In CA, all pickups are registered as a 'commercial' vehicles, in a business or for personal use.

Reactions: bismic and Heavy_GD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 450 is a flatbed dump. From what o understand that is considered commercial therefore will not be legal. Going to really hurt a lot of people that don’t have deep enough pockets for an upgrade or a new truck.

SupercrutyPS. Are you a cali resident?

·
Administrator
24,979 Posts
Well you have two problems, 1. you are using it for a business and 2. its a dump bed.
So you are not excluded in anyway unless you register it for private use and have a regular bed.

“Trucks with a GVWR of 19,500 lbs or less with a pick-up bed used exclusively for personal, non-commercial, or non-governmental use.”
“The Truck and Bus Regulation affects individuals, private companies, and Federal agencies that own diesel vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) greater than 14,000 lbs. that operate in California.” - any diesel truck or bus in that weight class and built before 2002 must be off the road, or have a 2010 or newer engine installed. In 2021, rigs older than 2007 are off the road; and in 2023, anything older than 2010 is likewise grounded.
If you want to fight the power, CARB has the Excluded Diesel Vehicle Reporting (EDVR) System, the request has to be sent through the on line tool (click here) .

·
Administrator
24,979 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
753 Posts
I’m sorry this is happening to you. I’m seeing a lot of CA tags in the southeast now. Saw a lot in TX recently too. Also saw signs and stickers in TX that read “Welcome to OUR state. Leave your politics in Cali.” Lol

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,173 Posts
My 450 is a flatbed dump. From what o understand that is considered commercial therefore will not be legal. Going to really hurt a lot of people that don’t have deep enough pockets for an upgrade or a new truck.

SupercrutyPS. Are you a cali resident?
Yes Sir I am! Born & Bred. I'm near Sacramento.

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,871 Posts
Doesn't a 450 Dump, even with a crew cab and tool boxes weight less then 14K lbs?

Regardless, tell them it's a F450 pickup. The lady behind the counter at DMV isn't going to ask/care it has a dump bed on it and no need to verbally disclose it either.

Unless the thing is lettered head to toe in business stickers or is pulling GCVW over 26K. I'd register it personal use.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Goin' back to cali cali cali, goin' back to cali... huh, I don't think so!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't want to sound like an A** HOLE, but this issues has been know for like 10 years now. You're surprised by it now?

In typical California fashion, they come up with an idea and don't really think out the consequences. BTW I am from CA.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts