Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Powerstroke, so take it easy on me. Converted from a Duramax. Just picked up my new Platnium SB. Where is the fuel filter located. Dmax was a screw on. What is the best filter to use as stock? Next stop is you tube.lol.

·
Administrator
23,908 Posts
I use WIX on pretty much all of my engines, regardless of fuel type. Have not noticed any differences
What Ford engines are included in "pretty much all my engines"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
What Ford engines are included in "pretty much all my engines"?
2017 6.7 and a 2000 7.3

2017 6.7 and a 2000 7.3
I have a 2022 on order and I see no reason not to continue based on my own personal history. I run Purus 10w-30 semi-synthetic oil, same stuff i run in all my OTR semi trucks. been doing that for about 120,000 miles now with great results, I had my dealer check back in 2017 and purus was on ford's approved list for warranty issues so no worries there either. WIX i dont recall if we ever looked at or not

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just so I'm clear doc, are we trying to compare a 2000 7.3 to a "newer generation" 2021 6.7
Yes, I get that, "newer generation" 2021/2022 MY 6.7L fuel filters. I am not aware that they are particular to filter brands or have issues therefore my question. I was hoping to learn something however I feel like I just got my wrist slapped. WTF was I thinking. Again you hurt my feelings. I must be typing with a Jersey accent! :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
23,908 Posts
haha, all good doc just making sure we were aligned.

I am thinking more about height tolerances and relief valves where aftermarket filters could cause issues.

And less about actual filtration.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have also heard where guys were having problems with the system not purging all the air out of the system. The LAST place i go cheap is oil, filters and tires. Almost forgot batteries.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have also heard where guys were having problems with the system not purging all the air out of the system. The LAST place i go cheap is oil, filters and tires. Almost forgot batteries.
Took my '16 to a "different" Ford dealer for fuel filter changes. Must've been some high school kid working there. On restart, lots of "fuel pressure low" warnings and bad "noises". Service writer acted like he'd never heard of CP 3/4 issues with these engines. They "re?" -purged and no further issues but I had the service writer document the whole episode. That was a few thousand miles ago and no further issues. Just emphasizes the importance of proper purging after fuel filter changes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 15 and newer trucks have problems when you don't use OEM filters. There are even knock off filters that say Motorcraft on them on the internet that don't work I only trust my dealer for my oil and filters.
Can someone elaborate on these fake Motorcraft filters? Where are they sold and how are they spotted? I normally buy my filters of Amazon.ca

1 - 16 of 16 Posts