Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a YouTube video recently, where the poster was saying there are some big issues with the '20+ Super Dutys. The poster was claiming that the CP4 was weak and could fail (but that could potentially be fixed prior to failure). The two things he listed that were most alarming to me were the Transmission and the Engine Brake. The new 10 speed only has a year under its belt in the Super Duty. Yhe poster claimed that he had had 2 F350s so far that both when they reached the 50k-60k mark started experiencing hard shifting and making noises. The poster has a shipping/hauling company. Perhaps the poster was really pushing his trucks too hard.
Now the Engine/Exhaust brake is a big issue especially if you are towing really heavy loads. I have had limited use of the system on my 19 F450 when towing no more than 7000lbs including the trailer. What the poster says the problem is that the truck can over rev by aggressively downshifting, and that I can attest to. I had that happen twice when towing, the system in the passive mode, it aggressively downshifted and I found my truck quickly heading for the red, I took it out of tow hail and turned off the engine brake and moved trans to manual to bring the trans back to 4th or 5th and then just use the trucks brakes.
I got to say that I miss my 14 F350, the truck had the first gen of the engine/exhaust brake, just no way from the factory to use it. I ended up getting an aftermarket module that allowed access to it. In passive mode it would just downshift, but in active mode it downshited and shut the vanes on the turbo, and that helped stop the truck towing 14000lbs very quickly and didn't even get close to redline because it utilized the exhaust brake function of the system.
With that being said, it was stated in the video that even in active mode on the 20+ trucks, the system just aggressively downshifts.

I'm looking to see if anyone with the 20+ trucks have seen any of these issues, or if they hold any water. I am looking to get a F550 cab chassis sometime this year and it will be used primarily to haul trailers long distances and through mountains. So I need to know if it will be reliable.

·
Registered
202 Posts
BLUF (Bottom Line Upfront): I have 27k miles on my 2020 and no issues to date. And really nothing to worry about. There are hundreds of thousands of these trucks as well as other vehicles in the U.S. with the CP4 pump and they are still doing fine. Has there been issues? Of course, like with anything manmade there will be issues. But for the most part, run clean fuel, try to prevent running the fuel tank all the way to empty, maintain good fuel filter maintenance and other maintenance and you'll be fine.

I assume you are referring to TowPiglet. That guy is all over the place, I'll just leave it at that.

I've owned 5 Ram Cummins Trucks to include a 2019, as well as 3 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke trucks. If I was worried about the CP4 then I would not have purchased the 2019 Ram Cummins or the Fords, or even returned to Ford.

As for the exhaust brake, the Fords exhaust brake are not as good as the Cummins. Cummins has the best exhaust brake on the market...period. From what I've experienced, the 2020 Ford exhaust brake is better than the 2017 and the 2019 I had but still no comparison to the Cummins.

Now the Transmission, I've not had issues. But I'm not a hotshot driver so there's that. I don't tow heavy at all.

And honestly, because that YouTuber always drives Enterprise Rental trucks....I highly doubt he took care of his maintenance, or would even care if he was using cheap products vs FoMoCo parts. Also, because the trucks he uses are NOT his....why would he care? Its like when you drive a rental vs your own personal vehicle...think of it like that.

Reactions: jman37

·
Premium Member
9,891 Posts
The CP4 will always be a weak link without running a fuel additive. Its why Cummins went back to the cp3 style in their newer trucks. Honestly run a fuel additive and change the fluids regularly. IF you were watching a video by Towpiglet. Hes a nice enough guy but his truck uses are not comparable to personal owner and he switches trucks two- three times a year it seems. I saw some of his vids and he may be a good transport driver but not someone I would ever listen to for truck reviews.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
For my 2015 running the TOW/HAUL mode and EB on at the same time cause aggressive downshifting. I'm using the EB on everyday with no unusual aggressive down shifting. When I run Tow/Haul mode the down shifting is MUCH more aggressive.

Use EB on alone, depending on the weight of the load MAYBE run Tow/Haul mode alone. In the end I stay away from using Tow/Haul mode with EB on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For my 2015 running the TOW/HAUL mode and EB on at the same time cause aggressive downshifting. I'm using the EB on everyday with no unusual aggressive down shifting. When I run Tow/Haul mode the down shifting is MUCH more aggressive.

Use EB on alone, depending on the weight of the load MAYBE run Tow/Haul mode alone. In the end I stay away from using Tow/Haul mode with EB on.
Could you expand a little on why you believe the two should not be run at the same time? I did not have the EB on my 09 but used the T/H often. This is my first experience with EB.
as for the OP my 20 is right at 60k and 45 of that is towing 11-17k fifth wheels coast to coast. I have had no issues with trans or EB (even though I use them together with EB in auto). I did just, however, get stranded on the side of 84 in Oregon yesterday with a power down and unable to restart. So the 20 was towed and is sitting at a dealership in Ontario OR waiting for Monday. I will have to wait to see on that issue.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Could you expand a little on why you believe the two should not be run at the same time? I did not have the EB on my 09 but used the T/H often. This is my first experience with EB.
as for the OP my 20 is right at 60k and 45 of that is towing 11-17k fifth wheels coast to coast. I have had no issues with trans or EB (even though I use them together with EB in auto). I did just, however, get stranded on the side of 84 in Oregon yesterday with a power down and unable to restart. So the 20 was towed and is sitting at a dealership in Ontario OR waiting for Monday. I will have to wait to see on that issue.

Just my own experience and some readings of others using Tow/Haul mode with EB on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update on issue. 350 still at dealership (hopefully repaired today) looks like it’s the high-end fuel pump or the pressure valve. The def codes were thrown off due to the fuel pressure issue. I did, however, learn that running on cruise control is not good. To keep the system clean it needs to run at higher rpm for a length of time which doesn’t happen on cruise. Even at 70+ mph on major hills the cruise keeps me in 10th gear and 15-1600rpm (probably for fuel efficiency or emissions) but that turns out to be a bad thing and doesn’t allow the system to burn off. It needs to run over 2000 for 20 minutes every 2-3000 miles. Lesson learned the hard way.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Best hope your HPFP doesn't come back showing metal shavings/corrosion, or you'll be stuck footing the bill.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Update on issue. 350 still at dealership (hopefully repaired today) looks like it’s the high-end fuel pump or the pressure valve. The def codes were thrown off due to the fuel pressure issue. I did, however, learn that running on cruise control is not good. To keep the system clean it needs to run at higher rpm for a length of time which doesn’t happen on cruise. Even at 70+ mph on major hills the cruise keeps me in 10th gear and 15-1600rpm (probably for fuel efficiency or emissions) but that turns out to be a bad thing and doesn’t allow the system to burn off. It needs to run over 2000 for 20 minutes every 2-3000 miles. Lesson learned the hard way.
If I'm reading your posts right:
If you are towing any trailer at 11-17k you are in a Passive regen most the whole time. Passive regens are caused when EGTs are over like 575*F. RPMs have nothing to do with keeping your fuel system clean.

Not sure who's giving you those data points of info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best hope your HPFP doesn't come back showing metal shavings/corrosion, or you'll be stuck footing the bill.
Metal shavings and yes, Ford is denying the claim. Insurance adjuster is arguing with them today. We’ll see who wins. Service writer said they were unable to find anything specific in the fuel and that it must have dissolved already or I recently changed the fuel filters. (Filters changed nearly 30k miles ago). Super proud of the way my super duty drives and tows and super disappointed in Ford customer care.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I'm reading your posts right:
If you are towing any trailer at 11-17k you are in a Passive regen most the whole time. Passive regens are caused when EGTs are over like 575*F. RPMs have nothing to do with keeping your fuel system clean.

Not sure who's giving you those data points of info.
A dodge Cummings driver/mechanic.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Metal shavings and yes, Ford is denying the claim. Insurance adjuster is arguing with them today. We’ll see who wins. Service writer said they were unable to find anything specific in the fuel and that it must have dissolved already or I recently changed the fuel filters. (Filters changed nearly 30k miles ago). Super proud of the way my super duty drives and tows and super disappointed in Ford customer care.
I've highlighted your problem. 30k on fuel filters? You're asking for problems then.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've highlighted your problem. 30k on fuel filters? You're asking for problems then.
I have full service coverage until 150k. Ford has done all service at whatever intervals they require and I haven’t been late for any service date. No one else has touched it. Not sure what I should have done differently.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
That doesn't matter, if you show as 30k miles since your last fuel filter change, they're going to tell you the manual does not state that long of intervals and will say it's up to you to schedule service to get them changed.

Reactions: Henry5105

·
Registered
20 Posts
That doesn't matter, if you show as 30k miles since your last fuel filter change, they're going to tell you the manual does not state that long of intervals and will say it's up to you to schedule service to get them changed.
good news is Ford is covering it. But it’s just gonna take a couple of weeks for all the parts to get in and as far as the 30,000 miles they said that is their recommendation that is their schedule. I know you’re probably right 95 percent of the time but on this one I’m afraid you are wrong.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
@jman37 Sorry... @BabyD is on the money about the fuel filter intervals.
2020 Owner's Manual calls regular intervals of 30,000 miles: Other driving conditions (towing, dusty, etc etc) 15,000 miles. WOW.....

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Wow really? That's absolutely absurd! Lol, they're asking for trouble themselves at that point.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Yeh, my protocol is fuel filters every other oil change. So about 15K.
But that new (‘17+) filter is way bigger than mine...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts