Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here’s my door stickers and camper certificate for my 2020 6.7 lariat. I’ll be sliding in a 1600lb pop up. So many different numbers, payload which on Ford’s technical specifications webpage lists an F250 with a 10,000 GVWR as having a 3470 lb payload but doesn’t differentiate a 6.7 or otherwise. Then there is load capacity and cargo weight rating on the certificate.

Just hoping the 1600 pounds in the bed doesn’t make the rear sag. If it does I’ll have to correct it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The cert "Loading Instructions" gives the best info. What cab/bed configuration are you using??

·
Registered
3 Posts
The cert "Loading Instructions" gives the best info. What cab/bed configuration are you using??
It’s a crew cab short bed.

Somewhat strange for Ford to certify it for a camper when there aren’t many out there that are even close to 13-1400 pounds. I knew the numbers prior to my purchase but if I was getting a standard camper I’d have gone with a gasser or F350. Loading instructions assume there may be passengers in the camper while hauling/moving, won’t be doing that.

Last paragraph of the certificate defines cargo weight rating as being part of the “cargo carrying capacity”. So the way I read it they’re saying my slide in camper max is 1379 pounds, then you can have 5 passengers at 150 pounds each, those combined are 2129lbs and short of the door sticker 2226 pounds. Then Ford’s Technical Specifications web page say the payload is 3470 pounds with a 10000 GVWR. The truck is somewhere around 7154 pounds which to me would put payload around 2846 pounds. A whole lot of numbers!

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Did I read that right? A DRW KR was only about 200lb more payload over they Platinum SRW?

So now CC F350 short bed is up if anyone see one.
It’s likely due to the fact 14000 lb is the limit for GVWR on personal trucks / non commercial ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Loading instructions assume there may be passengers in the camper while hauling/moving, won’t be doing that.
It doesn't say that specifically...it just wants you to measure the weight.

Your door sticker clearly shows a "payload' of 2,226lbs. You need to visit a CAT scale and weigh the truck yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It doesn't say that specifically...it just wants you to measure the weight.

Your door sticker clearly shows a "payload' of 2,226lbs. You need to visit a CAT scale and weigh the truck yourself.
I’ll likely end up doing just that, I’ll be under the listed combined cargo/passenger weight regardless but it’d be good to have a hard number as I could exceed that number given certain situations.
My door sticker doesn’t actually say “payload” which is where the confusion on my part is/was.

·
Premium Member
11,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yea...that first pic is what Ford has said is the "payload" weight.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Been meaning to grab pics for a while.

SRW 4x4 CrewCab Longbed F350 Lariat Sport

The Truck Camper Loading sheet threw me for a loop.....I was like, "what is the purpose of this thing?" I see above some are filled out lol.

No biggie.

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Figured the guys subscribed here might care. Safety recall for possible overstated payload....(sighs), I am not making this up.

For Fleet Live VIN Specific Calculator
^^^This matched what the dealer showed in their system for me.
4513lbs of payload reduced to 3964.

Aside from not being able to legally carry as much weight (not sure how legal this is though), think of what this does to resale.
So here in the payload thread, where everyone seemed so impressed with the numbers, no one is concerned about a payload reduction campaign? Is there no traffic here? Huge amounts of apathy? Or maybe you guys feel I'm getting up in arms over nothing.

·
Premium Member
11,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So here in the payload thread, where everyone seemed so impressed with the numbers, no one is concerned about a payload reduction campaign? Is there no traffic here? Huge amounts of apathy? Or maybe you guys feel I'm getting up in arms over nothing.
At best you can argue that the amount they "take away" substantially effects your use. It IS a big deal, guess we will see.

500+ lbs is pretty high, not to mention money lost on taxes for registration. As this is a Safety Recall.....there is some liability there. Hard choices......I'd beat my dealer down if they put a sticker on my truck.

·
Registered
2020 Ford F350 Platinum CC SRW LB
54 Posts
I've been tracking this thread and created a spreadsheet to help with my decisions. I added a few columns to reflect the Safety Recall impact. I could only get New Payload data for those posts that include a VIN.

I sorted by VIN to represent build date. Only F350's are impacted. That's mine in green.
Yep, pissed!!

·
Premium Member
11,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Nice work @gary325 . Seems like they want to bring the weights down under (as close as possible) to 4,000 lbs. Not to mention it seems as the 20" wheel option trucks are taking a bigger hit.

Looking at that info tells me to swap in 18" wheels/tires, keep Ford away from my door sticker, and be happy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Pretty sure this is affecting the trucks with 12400 GVWR. That would be LB diesel equipped trucks with whatever options were necessary to get the 12400 GVWR.

Wheel size has nothing to do with the root problem. Obviously the curb weight used in the calculation for payload capacity was wrong. It's pretty easy to see that looking back at some of the stickers posted on here.To get some of those payload numbers would require the curb weight to be under 8k lbs. We know that the curb weight of a CCLB 6.7l is not 7,800 lbs.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Pretty sure this is affecting the trucks with 12400 GVWR. That would be LB diesel equipped trucks with whatever options were necessary to get the 12400 GVWR.

Wheel size has nothing to do with the root problem. Obviously the curb weight used in the calculation for payload capacity was wrong. It's pretty easy to see that looking back at some of the stickers posted on here.To get some of those payload numbers would require the curb weight to be under 8k lbs. We know that the curb weight of a CCLB 6.7l is not 7,800 lbs.
Do you have a 2020/2021 that you have weighed?

Just hit a CAT scale. Truck is a little heavier than I thought, but after going through the numbers, it is pretty much right on. I just thought it would be less.

So I said up above that it probably has a curb weight of 7,970lbs.

7,970 estimated curb weight
+235lbs of love machine
+ 150 of little princess's and their gear
+315 lbs of fuel
+80 extra lbs of tires
8780 total estimated

CAT scale says, drumroll please.......
8820lbs
5220 front axle
3600 rear axle
Mine is pretty close. I think my 37's are heavier than I previously estimated. I'm also missing probably 50lbs of other stuff in the back of the cab. My curb weight is most likely right around 7950lbs.

So even if they missed my curb weight by 150-200 pounds, it does not explain why they are saying it is 549lbs lower.

·
Registered
228 Posts
No I do not, I have a short bed, F250 with a curb weight of right about 7800lbs.

How are you coming up with that 7950lbs? The LB, extra leafs, different rear axle and 14 additional gallons of diesel add a decent amount compared to my F250 SB.

What is your configuration?

Edit: I see your quote about your estimated weight vs scale weight. Fuel weight is already calculated into the curb weight, but it looks like you were estimating curb weight without

·
Premium Member
11,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Wheel size has nothing to do with the root problem.
That's your assumption as to what the problem is now.

BTW it seems as @gary325 used the VIN numbers from trucks posted, ran them thru the Ford site, got the numbers, and made the spread sheet.
Only 1 truck that has 18" wheel/tire was effected, all trucks with 20" wheel/tire trucks were effected. The 20" wheel/tire trucks took the larger hit to the changes in weight ratings.

Sure we could say it's as a result of the scaled (curb) weight of the trucks, but then we can't get everyone to go thru a CAT scale to collect those numbers.

Not to mention Ford has not stated exactly what has caused them to need to change the door stickers. So we will never know.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's your assumption as to what the problem is now.

BTW it seems as @gary325 used the VIN numbers from trucks posted, ran them thru the Ford site, got the numbers, and made the spread sheet.
Only 1 truck that has 18" wheel/tire was effected, all trucks with 20" wheel/tire trucks were effected. The 20" wheel/tire trucks took the larger hit to the changes in weight ratings.

Sure we could say it's as a result of the scaled (curb) weight of the trucks, but then we can't get everyone to go thru a CAT scale to collect those numbers.

Not to mention Ford has not stated exactly what has caused them to need to change the door stickers. So we will never know.

Let me first start by saying that none of my opinions, beliefs or posts are in any way whatsoever meant to defend Ford, or minimize the situation. I understand the impact this could have on some owners. Ford screwed up, plain and simple. And its true, they have not stated how it happened and may never clarify how it happened. But whether it was, human error, computer glitch or foreign hacking, it's irrelevant to me.

You might have misunderstood me in regards to the wheels. It may very well be true that the trucks with 20" wheels are affected by the recall far more than the trucks with 18" wheels. To me that just means that more trucks with 20" wheels had mis-calculated payload stickers. That doesn't in anyway mean that simply swapping 18" wheels onto the truck will magically make the incorrect payload capacity number correct. I don't think anyone here actually thinks that the weight difference between the 18" and 20" wheels could be 500 lbs. hahaha. That's what I meant by the wheels are not the root cause.

We all would agree that the stickered payload capacity, is an extremely simple calculation. GVWR - Curb weight(as-built) = Payload. Likewise, curb weight would be, GVWR - Payload = Curb weight. And just for clarification for those unaware, a full tank of fuel is included in curb weight. Using this simple equation, with the numbers on the payload stickers shown in the first couple posts of this thread, they equal an unrealistic curb weight (although it seems some would disagree). One way to look at it is, by reducing the payload number they are effectively raising the curb weight, which I have to assume would now calc to the correct curb weight. The only other way to accomplish the correction would be to physically remove parts from the trucks or raise the GVWR, they are obviously not doing either.

I'm also not saying it's the result of the scaled curb weight, not in a literal sense at least.
I have no reason to believe Ford puts any of these trucks on a scale, they know the weight of every engine, trans, cab, bed etc. etc....the weight of every option and configuration there of. The sum equals the as-built curb weight of each individual truck and subsequently along with the GVWR, the payload capacity. Somewhere, somehow, someone or something got some numbers wrong and they now have to fix it.

I would be interested to know what the payload number is on the incorrect sticker vs the corrected sticker of the gentleman's truck above (compression ignition). I understand its not exact, and some of his numbers are estimates, but based on his post that included his scaled weight I get a curb weight of 8355lb. That is assuming it had a full tank of fuel at the time, if not the curb weight should be higher. Curious how close that is to the calculated curb weight using his original sticker, and that of the new sticker.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts