Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ron, his family and their dog were all traveling northbound on Interstate 25 in New Mexico. They were all in a 2020 F-250 Ford Tremor, which was pulling a 25-foot Flagstaff 5th wheel camper and a 16-foot PJ double-axle utility trailer. Secured to the utility trailer with Mac's UTV Tire Nets was a 2020 Can-Am Maverick X3.

As they were traveling down a hill along the interstate, the utility trailer began to fishtail; slightly at first before becoming violent. Suddenly, the utility trailer flipped up and over itself. The roof of the Can-Am smashed into the back of the 5th wheel camper, causing extensive damage and breaking the rear window glass. The utility trailer came back down on its tires, then turned onto its side.

Simultaneously, the violent fishtailing of the utility trailer caused the 5th wheel camper to fishtail. This side-to-side movement damaged the rear of the Ford truck.

After dragging the utility trailer on its side for a half mile, Ron was able to gain control and pull to the shoulder to assess the damage. One of his first thoughts was where the Can-Am ended up. He was certain it had been thrown from the utility trailer amidst the violent fishtailing. To his surprise, although damaged, the Can-Am remained secured to the utility trailer.
"Had it not been for the Mac's tire nets, my Can-Am would have flown from the trailer." As a 25-year retired police officer, Ron has seen his fair share of accidents. "Without the Mac's products, my Can-Am would have been completely totaled or worse, could have seriously injured someone."

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Wow holy crap. I always see people towing 5th wheels with another trailer and wonder how they manage without fishtailing so scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Macs make some great stuff and they are not even that much more compared to other brands. I am a little biased living super close to them though. Kind of off subject but I love when people drop $20k on a UTV and whine about the price of straps to keep it on the trailer lol.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I’m with Roy.
I’m thankful when I see tandem the load strapped down properly! Cannot tell how many times you see it just halfa22ed. Glad to hear it was only property hurt and not people! They look like a great family also!

·
Registered
503 Posts
That utv needs to be loaded backwards on the trailer. The motor is in the back so he probably didn't have enough tounge weight on the rear trailer.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree about tie downs, people try to compare northern or harbor freight to a higher end company.

Same with recovery ropes and straps, sure it might work but when it doesnt you will pay for more than you saved.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Normally, You want to apply some trailer braking (only) at the first sign of fishtailing but that’s not gonna help much with a set of doubles. Electric brakes are pretty much of a joke for getting out of serious jams anyway. About all you can do is stay with it, ride it down and get out and survey the damage. Glad to hear no one was injured.

·
Super Moderator
19,509 Posts
I think this is one of the reasons some states don't allow towing double. Not knocking anyone who does it - That is your call. I'm with @Compression-Ignition - Not for me! The machinery can be fixed or replaced - Very glad to hear the family survived it all. That's the most important take-away IMO

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That utv needs to be loaded backwards on the trailer. The motor is in the back so he probably didn't have enough tounge weight on the rear trailer.

Is that how you stop trailers from fishtailing more tongue weight? I barely tow like anything and i only have a 30ft fifth wheel ive towed a handful of times.
I want to know why they start to fishtail there was a youtube video I saw I think of a ram with two trailers and the rear fishtailing i think he caught it.
And how do you stop them from fishtailing can you correct it? What if you speed up?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Speeding up makes fishtailing worse. Usually if you have to much weight behind the axles of the trailer that will cause it to kind of wander around and since it is attached at the hitch it can only wander so far and then it will "correct" itself and the like so many other wrecks generally over correct and just keep doing that. Slowing down is one way to calm fishtailing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Is that how you stop trailers from fishtailing more tongue weight? I barely tow like anything and i only have a 30ft fifth wheel ive towed a handful of times.
I want to know why they start to fishtail there was a youtube video I saw I think of a ram with two trailers and the rear fishtailing i think he caught it.
And how do you stop them from fishtailing can you correct it? What if you speed up?

With trailer brakes I would apply the brakes to the trailer only manually by hand. No trailer brakes I might try light pressure on the brakes to see what it does. And if nothing else just get off the throttle and ride it out.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
As they were traveling down a hill along the interstate, the utility trailer began to fishtail
So this tells me the UT wasn't loaded correctly to put more weight to the front hitch.
From the pics provided: The UT with the Can-Am on it, he should have bought a trailer that was another 2-3 foot longer. This would have allowed the Can-Am to move forward more for better weight transfer to the hitch. In this case how much weight is negligible.
Not to mention it looks like the hitch point off the 5'r is way too high. The UT seems to look like it's sagging tail low due to hitch height not the load weight.

Might have been a MUCH better idea to load the Can-Am backwards so the motor weight was on the hitch ball.

At least I know now what tire nets to buy.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts

More tongue weight isn't the correction. Its proper tongue weight. Too little an the trailer acts like a pendulum, too much and it can reduce the control of the tow vehicle etc. Generally speaking though rear engine UTVs usually have the rear on the tongue side of the trailer. Mid mount like the Kawasaki just want more toward the front in general etc.

In general:

Drive slower (usually 99%) don't try and accelerate to get out of a trailer sway scenario
balanced weight with more on tongue side
don't use truck brakes just let off the accelerator
using trailer only brakes on some occasions usually super heavy items like equipment and vehicles etc
Most should try to counter steer the tow vehicle to correct for the trailer too

in every case I had a crew loaded the equipment and rushed for time to not change its position on the trailer I just let off the gas and forced the truck to stay straight as possible while coasting and it fixed it. 5th wheels and goosenecks are way more resistant to sway but not impervious. After a few times we re-trained staff on load placement and if it wasn't right it didnt travel with the exception of those short little half a mile under 30mph trips etc.

Speed and tongue weight were probably the biggest factors in the stories situation.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Can-Am Maverick X3 shows at 13.75' long...I'd say an 18' to 20' trailer would have been a better buy. Some extra space to load stuff if needed. Twisted ball hitch mount survived...that's good. Amazing it hit the back quarter like that. Bet anyone behind them were giving the HOLY S_ _ _ yells....

Haven't even gotten to comments about how the 5'r hit the bed and tail light. WOW........... Walk away, share hugs, give some blessings.......go buy another.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Couldn't find the video of the guy towing doubles with a utility trailer with a utv loaded forward on it that got all over the road, but this is a small demonstration of tounge weight

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So this tells me the UT wasn't loaded correctly to put more weight to the front hitch.
From the pics provided: The UT with the Can-Am on it, he should have bought a trailer that was another 2-3 foot longer. This would have allowed the Can-Am to move forward more for better weight transfer to the hitch. In this case how much weight is negligible.
Not to mention it looks like the hitch point off the 5'r is way too high. The UT seems to look like it's sagging tail low due to hitch height not the load weight.

Might have been a MUCH better idea to load the Can-Am backwards so the motor weight was on the hitch ball.

At least I know now what tire nets to buy.
Now that you mention it I agree with what you said about the trailer height and how if it was longer it could of been more ahead of the wheels is that what you mean?
Crazy how a little improvement on weight distribution and levelling can make a trip safe and not safe.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just looking at that UT made me think its overloaded. It shouldn't be with a tandem. The Mav dry is 1500ish. Weight bias of 55ish % to the rear.
Glad those folks got away with only damage to "things" and soiled undies.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
1 - 20 of 64 Posts