Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Worse fuel economy, over priced suspension, almost same width as superduty with not near the rating.

There was an article probably by Peterson 4x4 or something about the early raptors and how you could buy a f150 and modify it yourself for less than the raptors.

But if your not towing and just driving the diesel get better fuel economy but at a higher maintenance cost while the gas gets less fuel economy but cheaper maintenance etc.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Whats makes you have a diesel, do you tow? Obviously towing abilities are going to disappear. I personally have many friends(one in particular) with ecoboosts that have had a few problems. Why not get the diesel f-150?

·
Super Moderator
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have any real answers other than I'm just getting tired of the climbing in and out. Sometimes it's a parking thing....lol

Not really looking for a F150 diesel. I've not had to tow anything significant (10k+) in the last year.

MPGs are a concern somewhat, but at 18MPG HWY if the Raptor can do that then it's a equal to my PSD.

Figured there may be a few more people who swapped over the PSD that could give some info. Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
They're beautiful trucks but I couldn't justify paying the $88k for the '19 we have sitting in the showroom

·
Registered
495 Posts
Figured there may be a few more people who swapped over the PSD that could give some info. Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming.
On the army several have gone to 150's.
I saw something the other day that claimed the 19 in awd with the v6 would be the second fastest truck ever produced. Didn't look any more into it though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$88k?? LOL....Dealer offered me $69k plus T/T for a $75k+ door sticker. It was going to be just under $75k out the door.

·
Super Moderator
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did go thru a test ride the other day which is why I'm asking for info. Seemed to have the pedal response of my tuned '15 PSD. Of course the ride was significantly better all things considered with the "overpriced suspension". Show me a "cheap" suspension that has 2.5" shocks w/resi's for a SD. I started to tell myself it's cheaper to get those King setups and see how they ride.

I'm not sure but it was said that the SD line and F150 have the same cab but I cannot confirm that data.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Cabs are indeed the same

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
That Cantilever rear suspension is beyond cool

·
Super Moderator
19,281 Posts
Are they offering it with 3.0L PSD?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Doubtful they would. It will be the 3.5, and IMO they should offer a hyped up 5.0 (or the new 7.0l). As much as I do love the EcoBoosts they do have their problems, mainly the turbos. The 5.0 is a killer engine and with a few simple bolt ons produce over 500 to the wheels and still get 20mpg. That being said, I love the Raptor's. Just wish their markup's weren't insane. I feel they're almost like a diesel in the aspect of resale wise. Dealer's around here ask $42-60k for older 6.2's with 60k+ on them.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Honestly there are some pros to going to a gas engine. They usually have drastically reduced maintenance cost. If you don't tow often even though im personally not a fan of the raptor series even the f150s would be much cheaper cost of ownership.

less oil, usually cheaper tires, parts and stuff. The last 2 years I have needed a diesel less and less and have heavily considered selling my 7.3l but I just can't let go lol. I would be totally fine with a gas F150 and it would ride better, parking would be easier and cost less to drive but I just can't make the transition yet, maybe its pride, the natural fear of change who knows.

All arguments aside logically a gas powered pickup would be best for you and I it sounds. Its just gonna come down to who makes the trade first?

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
I am in the same boat... No real need for a diesel at the moment, just enjoy driving the super duty to much to part ways.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The Ecoboosts are very fast engines. But, if you don't plan on offroading. Couldn't really tell you to go buy the marked up offroader. Ultimately it's up to you what you do and YOU know how much to spend. I REALLY like the 5.0. My dad has one (2014 ccsb)and every year(birthday christmas) i bought him something for it. 3 years ago I got him an Mpt tune, later, intake, later exhaust, this Christmas head and tail lights. It's a super fast truck and gets 16-20mpg depending on speed and traffic. I'd want to see how the 3.0 plays out. It looks like a stout truck but the 6.4 did too. Keep us updated with what you do.

·
Super Moderator
12,880 Posts
Two things kept me from jumping myself......the lack of engine availability with the only option being the EcoBoost, and the 5'2" bed. If it would have at least been able to run with a 5.0 and a 6' bed (still too short IMO but more workable for what I do) I would have looked a lot harder at them.

The ride quality is amazing though, and they hold resale value like crazy at least around here.

·
Super Moderator
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By reading some of the posts I see there's quite a few that have the some concepts I'm having with the idea. Not to mention the dealer made what I consider a decent offer. My 2015 @125k+ for their '19 Raptor w/all the important options MSRP $75k+ ....out the door at $73k.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts