Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the site. I have 18 F450 Platinum. Driving normaly the tranny is in 6th gear at 30mph. Is anyone else experienced this.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Is that light on the throttle? I know personally my truck in stock form 6th gear would shift at 40mph. That does seem low to be in 6th though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What gear ratio do u have? We have a 18 f550 with 4.88 gears and I believe it will go into 6th gear at that low speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
I’d have to check but that sounds about right under low throttle. The 450 has low gearing , 4:30s. It annoys me sometimes on windy uphill roads so I use the up/down buttons on shifter to “lock” out 5-6 and keep it in 4th

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, spoke with the dealer and was told they had a couple of 19"s in with same problem. They did an update to the computer. Ford engineer said that is how those trannys work. Seems like it is hard on both the tranny and engine. I don't remember my 15 shifting like that.Going to pick it up tomorrow and see if the update helps.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Thanks, spoke with the dealer and was told they had a couple of 19"s in with same problem. They did an update to the computer. Ford engineer said that is how those trannys work. Seems like it is hard on both the tranny and engine. I don't remember my 15 shifting like that.Going to pick it up tomorrow and see if the update helps.
Can you tell us if there any improvement. It’s not the “field service” 18N04 is it? My fordpass is telling me I need that but my dealer said that is emissions related only. Please do let us know.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
I will touch base with you tomorrow after I pick it up. Seems the dealer would like their loaner back. Now they know how I feel.
Drive any different?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts