Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently my truck has been experiencing problems starting. I let the glow plugs warm up, once the light turns off I turn the key but it only cranks for a fraction of a second before the crank stops abruptly. This may happen between 1 to 4 or so times before it actually starts up. Seems to be worse in the mornings or when it’s cold. Not sure if that’s actually related or not. Also, not sure if this is related or not, but the clock keeps reverting back to military time after every time I shut the truck off. Those two issues seemed to come up at the same time. On a sidenote, this is the first Diesel truck I’ve owned that did not come with the block heater on it. Has the technology improved enough over the years that it is not necessary to have one in a 2017 diesel or is it still a must for colder climates?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
First how cold is "cold"? Second have you checked the batteries? If those are original batteries in a '17 they are probably very weak and wreaking havoc on that CAN BUS system.

Reactions: TKR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Not very cold as far as my local MT winter goes, probably only 40 degrees. I have not considered the batteries, as the cranking seems strong, but I guess that is not necessarily indicative... I will check them. Yesterday it was in the low 30s, and it never did turn over.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I might test the batteries as well, with the vehicle cold, glow plugs on and the initial high drain from the starter could pull the voltage down just enough for the PCM to lose power or the relay opens and cranking stops. Usually when I see this the starter relay reenergizes several times just bumping the starter before the crank time times out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts