Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just purchased a 2017 f350. so i got the truck from a dealership. Its has a DEF delete runs fine, no check engine light, starts right up. The question i have is that i know a tune is required for the delete i was just wondering if i could just buy any tuner for the truck? (no tuning device came with the truck)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You can't just purchase any tuner. Since you're deleted any tuner stock files will not work for you, you need custom tuning. Lots of places don't sell delete tunes anymore since the EPA crackdown. I'd ask the dealer if they can get the tuner that came with the truck.

·
Registered
883 Posts
smh what is up with these places selling these trucks without the tuners. in if you do not get any help from where you got the truck and if it was a dealer by all law he can not sell that truck like it is in some states justy trying to give you some leverage in case you run into a fight.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Was it a Ford dealer, or a small one? Do you need emission testing to get a sticker where you live?

·
Administrator
23,527 Posts
smh what is up with these places selling these trucks without the tuners. in if you do not get any help from where you got the truck and if it was a dealer by all law he can not sell that truck like it is in some states justy trying to give you some leverage in case you run into a fight.
"as is" , flip the whole idea and remember most people who buy these trucks know what they are getting and then like to claim "the dealer sold it this way" when they get in a pinch.

You can see plain as day that a truck as been deleted before you buy it and if you dont get the tuner who is at fault?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"as is" , flip the whole idea and remember most people who buy these trucks know what they are getting and then like to claim "the dealer sold it this way" when they get in a pinch.

You can see plain as day that a truck as been deleted before you buy it and if you dont get the tuner who is at fault?

I knew what i was getting in to. i was just seeing my options i guess i made it seem a little dramatic. My Bad.
Another Question can i get a custom tune with a ez link?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yes you can. A little pricey IMO though.

·
Registered
883 Posts
i relaize that i get frustrated in the cases when these guys are cluless in some of these cases and i was not saying you were not at all. i dealt with an idiot dealership and i knew with what i was getting and they lady in charge of my title sent it to their state which was idaho which was a nightmare i know i am ramling sorry

·
Administrator
23,527 Posts
i relaize that i get frustrated in the cases when these guys are cluless in some of these cases and i was not saying you were not at all. i dealt with an idiot dealership and i knew with what i was getting and they lady in charge of my title sent it to their state which was idaho which was a nightmare i know i am ramling sorry
I hear ya man, it will only get worse and people will continue to turn to the internet with stories of trucks sitting dead in the driveway

·
Administrator
23,527 Posts
I knew what i was getting in to. i was just seeing my options i guess i made it seem a little dramatic. My Bad.
Another Question can i get a custom tune with a ez link?
Not directed at you hero

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
You need to do some investigating on your truck, but if it has been "properly" deleted, you can get pretty much any tuner with custom tunes written for no emissions. On the 6.7, there's no real need to have a"stock" file for a fallback. Most tune writers can supply you with a generic stock file should you ever need it.

If you get another tuner and tunes, it will simply overwrite what's in there now and you'll never get that back. Unless, of course, you happen to pick the same tune the original owner had.

·
Administrator
23,527 Posts
The internet is a wild place, you can act like a victim and lie to get people to help.

Or you can get taken advantage of by a dealer because you didnt know what you were buying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need to do some investigating on your truck, but if it has been "properly" deleted, you can get pretty much any tuner with custom tunes written for no emissions. On the 6.7, there's no real need to have a"stock" file for a fallback. Most tune writers can supply you with a generic stock file should you ever need it.

If you get another tuner and tunes, it will simply overwrite what's in there now and you'll never get that back. Unless, of course, you happen to pick the same tune the original owner had.
Thanks. i have the dealer looking at find the tuner. if they dont i was thinking about getting the Ez link from SPE(custom tune). not really trying to go back to stock just wanted to know if it would mess up my truck.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I wouldn't go with an SPE tune. They're more on the harsh/aggressive side of things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts