Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a '17 F350 CCSB Platinum and was wondering what size fuel tank I have. I keep seeing 34 gallons online, but have not been able to put more than 23.xx gallons in it when the gauge said I had less than 20 miles til empty... can anyone shed some light?? Also, amy comments on a 55-60 gallon fuel tank replacement?? I am getting it egr/dpf deleted in the next week or so and plan to start hauling a trailer for the business I recently started and would like to have a larger tank to lessen the trips to the gas pump....

Thanks,

Mark H.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
IIRC, there was a TSB on the fuel sending unit or something that was not reading right. I'm sure someone with a better memory is gonna chime in.
Titan tanks seem to be the favorite.

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
Wheelbase doesn't matter. TSB attached.
I had the work done. They replaced the tank and the sender.
Based on hand calc'd mileage and fillups, my DTE is probably still leaving about 2-3 gallons unaccounted for. I call it my "reserve".

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks G8! I saw this yesterday....will contact my local dealer to see about the replacement... I am thinking that a correctly working 34 gallon tank will be fine since I am going to do some hauling and don't want to be overloaded on the scales!! Diesel weighs about 7.8 lbs/gallon right? 55 or 60 gallons would be awesome, but another 200lbs....

·
Registered
271 Posts
18s and 19s have this problem too. The TSB only applies to 17s built before a certain date and you have to be under factory warranty for them to complete the fix. This problem drives me nuts on my 18.

I believe the long box trucks have the 48 gallon tanks.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have a Titan Tank in my short box as the S&B wasn’t released at the time I purchased it. If I had to do it over again, I’d go S&B as they reuse your skid plate and have a built in sump if you want to add an aftermarket lift pump down the road. There’s nothing wrong with the Titan, I just have a skid plate sitting in my garage rather than on my truck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi All,

I have a '17 F350 CCSB Platinum and was wondering what size fuel tank I have. I keep seeing 34 gallons online, but have not been able to put more than 23.xx gallons in it when the gauge said I had less than 20 miles til empty... can anyone shed some light?? Also, amy comments on a 55-60 gallon fuel tank replacement?? I am getting it egr/dpf deleted in the next week or so and plan to start hauling a trailer for the business I recently started and would like to have a larger tank to lessen the trips to the gas pump....

Thanks,
=
Mark H.
What did it read when you were at a 1/4 tank?

After looking at the 2019 owners manual(what I have) it says that the only possible option I have is the 34 Gal( F250 6.7L Powerstroke 160" WB CCSB)

I will have to throw in 23 to 27 gallons when mine reads a quarter. If my math serves me right, and if I actually have exactly a 1/4 tank left(probably not)...comes out to 7.66666667 X 4= 30.66(29 GAL) or 9 x 4=36(34 GAL)
It sucks that the monroneys don't say which size tank you have anymore.

After looking at the 2017 manual, you have a 34 GAL tank as well

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Titan Tank in my short box as the S&B wasn’t released at the time I purchased it. If I had to do it over again, I’d go S&B as they reuse your skid plate and have a built in sump if you want to add an aftermarket lift pump down the road. There’s nothing wrong with the Titan, I just have a skid plate sitting in my garage rather than on my truck.
How is the Titan working out? Does it utilize the stock lift pump and sending pumps? I'm under warranty is why I'm asking.

Really considering upping my game to 55/60 Gal

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
How is the Titan working out? Does it utilize the stock lift pump and sending pumps? I'm under warranty is why I'm asking.

Really considering upping my game to 55/60 Gal
The Titan is awesome. It comes with everything needed to swap it out. Fit and finish make it look OEM. It uses the factory lift pump and sender. I had no problems with the tank when I was using the stock lift pump. The fuel light would come on and I’d have no issues refuelling or running out of fuel. Once I added a FASS lift pump, my issues started. That’s the only reason I’d go S&B over Titan is that the S&B has a built in sump. If you don’t have plans to add a lift pump, Titan will be fine. I believe the S&B is 5 gallons larger than the Titan, I don’t have first hand experience with the S&B but if it’s anything like their intakes, it’s a quality piece.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a titan for sell if you want to go that route I am going back stock because of my fass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have had a fass on every truck I own because I live in south ga and diesel can be dirty down here the only reason I won’t care to get rid of the titan is I have a 100 gallon fuel cell in the bed so I can just use that

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
So in your opinion, the benefits of the FASS outweigh the benefits of a larger tank?
Realistically, there are millions of diesel powered vehicles on the road and out of that, even a slimmer number that have a FASS installed on them or people who have experienced a catastrophic failure due to poor fuel. The OEM filtration is fine for the vast majority of people. With all the grief I’ve had with my FASS, this will be my first and last.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Realistically, there are millions of diesel powered vehicles on the road and out of that, even a slimmer number that have a FASS installed on them or people who have experienced a catastrophic failure due to poor fuel. The OEM filtration is fine for the vast majority of people. With all the grief I’ve had with my FASS, this will be my first and last.
I have never had a issue with a fass and I have had a bunch of them the only reason I think you are now is the same reason I am right now it doesn’t work with the titan

·
Registered
246 Posts
Do you think this is related to the Titan also (@Brycefow I assume you think this is so)?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Do you think this is related to the Titan also (@Brycefow I assume you think this is so)?
I think it’s more a FASS issue than Titan. Keep in mind, the lowest volume pump is 140 gph. FASS blamed it on the Titan’s lack of baffles. However, the OEM tank doesn’t have baffles. FASS said the size of the Titan Tank also played a role in 1/4 tank issues as there wasn’t enough fuel for their pump. This made no sense to me either. If it was a Titan issue, how come when I was using the OEM pump assembly I never had issues? I had a Titan Tank and OEM assembly for about a year without issue. Then, I wanted a FASS and that’s when my issues started. I ran a sump with the FASS which is supposed to alleviate any 1/4 tank issues and I still experienced them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks G8! I saw this yesterday....will contact my local dealer to see about the replacement... I am thinking that a correctly working 34 gallon tank will be fine since I am going to do some hauling and don't want to be overloaded on the scales!! Diesel weighs about 7.8 lbs/gallon right? 55 or 60 gallons would be awesome, but another 200lbs....
I have a 17 f350 long bed dually and it has a 48 gal. tank. I don't know if this will work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts