Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a 4.5 inch lift put in my 2017 f250. Now I have a bad driveline vibration went accelerating or going up hill. Soon as you left off gas it stops. I took it back to the dealer that I purchased the lift from and installed it. They say rough country has never had an issue with this model truck. Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
So without sounding rude. You simply put the bottom of the barrel lift kit on a truck that had better oem suspension. I've used rough country and they are honestly an OK kit. But entry level at the very best for powerstrokes and other medium duty trucks. With that being said I ran a 4in kit for years with no issue but it was something I wished i spent more on after the first year.

When you took it back to the installer what did they actually do/check when you told them about the vibration? I didn't have any issues when i put a rough country on my 2004 f350 but that was in 2012-ish. It sounds like they did not install something correctly. (carrier bearing drop bracket, drive line angle, etc)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So without sounding rude. You simply put the bottom of the barrel lift kit on a truck that had better oem suspension. I've used rough country and they are honestly an OK kit. But entry level at the very best for powerstrokes and other medium duty trucks. With that being said I ran a 4in kit for years with no issue but it was something I wished i spent more on after the first year.

When you took it back to the installer what did they actually do/check when you told them about the vibration? I didn't have any issues when i put a rough country on my 2004 f350 but that was in 2012-ish. It sounds like they did not install something correctly. (carrier bearing drop bracket, drive line angle, etc)
To the dealers defense I did tell them this truck will never off road so this is the lift they recommend. There is no carrier bearing. One piece driveshaft.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
It could be the angle of the drive-line in the rear axle too. I don't think its super common with only a 4.5in lift. Some of my old trucks had 6 and 8 in lifts and the angles were not bad enough. the 8in should have needed extended drivelines but it was a pavement pounder/street queen so I didn't need it for flex. What has the dealer done to try and fix the situation, from whats been said here. safe to assume the vibration was not present before the lift and now it is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zero vibration prior to the lift. Rough country claims they have never had any issues this year and model supposedly. They are waiting for a tool to measure the angles to see what shims need to be used. I hope it fixes it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The angles are most likely off. Mine (stock) shudders with a heavy load in the back/ heavy tongue weight.
As did mine. One of the biggest reasons I installed the air lift in it. Pump em up just enough to get the angles right and do away with the shudder. Also makes it easy to level out the trailer depending on how many bikes are in there and full/ empty water tanks. I think there is a TSB out on it. I forgot what they do....maybe carrier bearing shim.
To the OP's issue- is the rear lifted by blocks? Could be axle wrap also. Tall blocks exacerbate the shudder. Tall blocks should be tapered to help correct the pinion angle. If they are on the wrong side, the taper will worsen the angle.
Do the short box trucks have a slip yoke transfer case output? Those can vibrate when lifted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update:

I am getting really frustrated with the place I bought the lift from and did the work. They have had my truck for a week and a half. They were thinking maybe shins but I called to today they said they are still doing some research they don’t make shins for my truck. I made mention of traction bars since it only does it under load perhaps the axle is wrapping? What’s your guys thoughts?

·
california deplorable
10,502 Posts
Left out the carrier bearing shim or put in the wrong thickness. Maybe put the blocks on the wrong side in the rear. Sounds like a pinion angle problem to me. Been there before.
this would be my best guess or the bolts on the driveshaft ujoints into the either the diff or t case arent tight enough after they did the lift?

·
california deplorable
10,502 Posts
i would be currious about that as well.
something HAS to give ... just sayin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Fellas,
Still messing around with this truck. Supposedly they put shims in at it made it much better but supposedly got worse because the shims moved. So now they have to “pin” the shims to keep in place. Is this a load of crap??

·
Registered
110 Posts
My drive shaft is two piece with a 6.5 inch ProComp lift. I believe I have 4 shims to align the shaft. They are bolted into place.

·
california deplorable
10,502 Posts
Hey Fellas,
Still messing around with this truck. Supposedly they put shims in at it made it much better but supposedly got worse because the shims moved. So now they have to “pin” the shims to keep in place. Is this a load of crap??
ard to say. depends what kind of parts they are using.
most shims should be bolted into place mine are.
i am running a bds lift

My drive shaft is two piece with a 6.5 inch ProComp lift. I believe I have 4 shims to align the shaft. They are bolted into place.

yea like this...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts