Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I am in the right area since I am a newbie to the forum (about 25 minutes). I have a Ruby Red 2017 F-350 DRW 6.7. Woo Hoo! Anyways, is there any way to replace the GPS software Ford uses for the SYNC3 system to change it to the Rand McNalley GPS? Really disappointed Ford designed a truck to pull trailers/RVs (I pull a 13ft 6in high, 42 foot long RV as a full-time RVer) and the GPS/navigation system is not compatible when pulling a large trailer to avoid low bridges. I have been routed twice in the New England states to drive under low bridges (one was a covered bridge 10ft 6in) with max weight of 7000 pounds.

Any suggestions other than purchasing another dash/window mounted devices?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
There is no way to change the built-in Nav, but you might be able to use a third-party Nav app through Carplay or Android Auto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G8orFord...Thank you for the answer. I expected that it cannot be changed. I looked at your recommendations for overcoming the shortcomings in the GPS/Navigation Ford uses. Unfortunately, those two use the same Google Maps Ford uses and they are designed for automobiles not pulling a RV. I guess I will purchase a Rand McNalley RVND 7 GPS and Velcro it over the display.

Ford needs to come up with a better GPS/Navigation to meet the needs of RV hauling customers. I see more F-350s pulling large RVs down the road than any other brand.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Ford needs to come up with a better GPS/Navigation to meet the needs of RV hauling customers. I see more F-350s pulling large RVs down the road than any other brand.
I second that motion! I use Google via the Sync but it isn't big rig (RV) friendly. I drove up to CT from NC late last year and the route Google took me was on highway roads with height limits of like 9 feet or something. If I were hauling my RV I would have been in a world of hurt. So I've been on a quest to find GPS systems that can take weight and height restrictions into consideration.

Also, the maps in Sync are outdated and new updates cost good $$$. I no longer see the need for built in GPS when our phones can be displayed on the Sync systems and maps are more accurate and FREE! They should repurpose the capacity on Sync used for their GPS for other gadgets and functionality.

I'd love to see the monitoring capability of an Edge system be part of Sync.

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
While I agree that the online options are more accurate and up to date, they are still ONLINE. Meaning if you do not have a data connection, you are SOL. Yes, you can do offline maps if you KNOW you are going into a low coverage area, but you'd have to know that ahead of time and it is limited in functionality. Besides, if you are going into an area with low coverage, then you have probably already been there before, so how much do you even need a NAV app.

I also think that it would be nice if the automakers included some additional capabilities in their NAV systems such as the height & weight options for routes, but at the same time, 25 years ago it was all Rand-McNally and trying to re-fold it after you were done. IIRC, they didn't list height or weight restrictions either. :hehe:

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
I'd love to see the monitoring capability of an Edge system be part of Sync.
LOL, that will never happen, though it would be nice. Ford doesn't even want you to see the oil pressure rise and fall for fear of the driver freaking out every time it falls below the middle of the normal range for a few seconds.

Reactions: jd4010

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no way to change the built-in Nav, but you might be able to use a third-party Nav app through Carplay or Android Auto.
Received a Ford email, for $149.00, I can now update SYNC3 to the new GPS/MAP version released this month.

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
That's just updating the maps, not changing the built-in NAV system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here are a couple maps for your phone for Truckers that gives routes based on your height and weight of the truck/trailer you're towing. Sorry you'll have to remove the spaces I still can't post links. :frown2:

Android
https : // play.google . com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.truck&hl=en_US

Apple
https : // apps.apple. com/us/app/truckmap-truck-gps-routes/id1198422047

David

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
2 Posts
Save some money and buy a Rand McNally Truckers Atlas at any truck stop. All of the highways/roads highlighted in ORANGE meet federal trucking requirements. $149 to update maps is rediculous, escpecially when Garmin doesn't charge me anything.

I too am a fulltimer and I prefer to do things the old fashioned way. I can't get myself to put blind faith into GPS. I plan my route using an RV Trip planner that I've entered my length/height/weight numbers into. Then verify any non-interstate highways with the truckers atlas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Updated my Sync3 and maps last week. "New" NA 1 18 map update is just as bad as the old version, especially for Texas. Gonna buy a trucker's GPS before leaving Texas in April.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hopefully I am in the right area since I am a newbie to the forum (about 25 minutes). I have a Ruby Red 2017 F-350 DRW 6.7. Woo Hoo! Anyways, is there any way to replace the GPS software Ford uses for the SYNC3 system to change it to the Rand McNalley GPS? Really disappointed Ford designed a truck to pull trailers/RVs (I pull a 13ft 6in high, 42 foot long RV as a full-time RVer) and the GPS/navigation system is not compatible when pulling a large trailer to avoid low bridges. I have been routed twice in the New England states to drive under low bridges (one was a covered bridge 10ft 6in) with max weight of 7000 pounds.

Any suggestions other than purchasing another dash/window mounted devices?

Thanks,

Michael
Good Sam's has a book map that show's highways for RV people. I show's the roads to use in orange.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts