Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2017 F-250, and was told to look into replacing the drivers side door handle with the passenger side door handle, in order to remove the lock cylinder that thieves target to gain entry to these trucks. I tried doing some searches for the assembly, but can't seem to find any part numbers. Has anyone gone this route or can point me in the direction of where to look?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Would that mean you could only unlock the door with your 'electronic' key? Just curious.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wouldn't a passenger side handle be backwards if mounted on the driver side? I think you would need a driver side back door handle like p/n JC3Z-2626605-AA

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would that mean you could only unlock the door with your 'electronic' key? Just curious.
Correct. Apparently, if the take a pair of plier and twist the lock cylinder counter clockwise while the handle is pulled, it allows them to unlock the dorrs.

Wouldn't a passenger side handle be backwards if mounted on the driver side? I think you would need a driver side back door handle like p/n JC3Z-2626605-AA
Yes, you would flip the passenger handle and I believe trim one tab, while still maintaining the smart key function on the drivers side door.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTommy View Post

Correct. Apparently, if the take a pair of plier and twist the lock cylinder counter clockwise while the handle is pulled, it allows them to unlock the doors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, I've never heard that.

All this electronic stuff tends to scare me though. I'm an old guy. So if your key battery is not up to snuff, and for some reason all those numbers on the driver's side door go dead, it seems like you can't get into the truck. Our pickups are not even in the current top ten of vehicles stolen these days (though I guess it depends on where you live).

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
I'm all for being diligent and proactive to protect yourself and your property from thieves and other vermin criminals, but I refuse to redirect my lifestyle to do so.

While it's certainly not an everyday occurrence that you would need to get into your vehicle and either your fob was dead or the truck batteries themselves were dead, it is a distinct possibility. If that particular time happened to be when you or your wife/girlfriend/daughter needed to get into the truck quickly to escape a possible incident, how would you feel about it then?

Just my opinion, do as you wish. but think it through first.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm all for being diligent and proactive to protect yourself and your property from thieves and other vermin criminals, but I refuse to redirect my lifestyle to do so.

While it's certainly not an everyday occurrence that you would need to get into your vehicle and either your fob was dead or the truck batteries themselves were dead, it is a distinct possibility. If that particular time happened to be when you or your wife/girlfriend/daughter needed to get into the truck quickly to escape a possible incident, how would you feel about it then?

Just my opinion, do as you wish. but think it through first.
One of my concerns was losing access to the vehicle in the event of battery failure on the truck or key side, when I was told about the lock issue. I would think even a sleeve that just spins around the cylinder would thwart most attempts, but again, not sure where to even look, or who would offer a solution. Here is south Texas these trucks are targeted pretty frequently. I've had my '05 broken into 3 times; thankfully never stolen. Now we just don't drive it to most places.

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Honestly, I haven't heard of any problems with thieves breaking the locks on the the 17+ trucks. Not saying it isn't a thing, just this is the first I've heard of it. The '99-'16 models were fairly easy to break into through the door handle and the '99-'07 trucks were easy to steal with no PATS system.

FWIW, I'm a believer that a lock is only going to keep an honest person honest anyway. If someone really wants to get into your truck, the lack of a keyhole in the door handle is not going to stop them. I'd install an alarm and make sure I didn't leave valuables in plain sight before I replaced the door handle. Anyone that's going to take the time to break the lock, isn't a an opportunistic thief, they saw something in the truck that made it worth their while. As far as theft goes, if they can get past the PATS, the door handle isn't going to stop them. :twocents:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts