Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my truck 4 months ago and have loved it, just over 4000mi so far.
3 weeks ago I took a little 3 day trip and when I started truck to leave home a "fuel pressure low press OK" message popped up on the display, so I pushed the OK button. It drove fine for around 300mi the next 3-4 days, no loss of power, funny sounds, smells or any indication or any single problem, except the message popping up each time I started it and hwy economy went from 17-18 down to 14-15 (I'm running 37s w/a leveling kit). Message never came up while driving and no other caution lights or anything appeared.

Took the truck in on Monday morning and received a call that afternoon that it just needed a new fuel filter, which wasn't warranty-able and cost $170. Told him I didn't think it was fuel filter because it was supposed last 22k miles and that I'd just pick up the $70 filter and change it myself because I wanted to see what it looked like. He called back a half hour later and said that they'd go ahead and change it under the warranty the next morning because it was so new. Received a call the next afternoon that filter had some sludge and and maybe water in the fuel, but they were waiting to hear back from the ford hotline. Two more days pass without any calls so I went to dealership. He tells me that he's concerned that the fuel might have been contaminated with water and affected the entire fuel system, which would be a $10k repair, which some people claim it on their insurance. Said they'd also had a couple other trucks come in with similar problems. Told him that I doubted it as I owned a diesel for 10 years before without any problems and know not to go to shady fuel stations or fill up when the delivery truck is there. I told him that I never had a water in fuel light so the systems failure to detect water should make it a warranty claim, but he said it doesn't always work. He gives me a loaner focus on day 4. I asked him twice for the contact information for the other owners affected so that I could cross reference and see where the bad fuel might have come from, so that their insurance could pay the repair bill and they could address it so that no other vehicles could be damaged. He refused to give it to me, stating that its hard to tell where it would have come from. I told him I've only filled up 10-12 times at 2-3 stations and could easily pull the info from my debit card statement and see if the other customers had filled up at the same stations around the same time. He told me that he'd keep looking in to it and get back to me. Calls me the next day says they might have isolated a problem part, but that another truck came in a day or two before mine, so they were gonna replace it on his truck and see if that fixed it. I called him back 5 days later after holiday on the 7/5 and he tells me that they're waiting on a replacement fuel pump to come in, but they're back ordered and it would be a week or so. Dealership has had truck for 3 weeks now, I'm still waiting on fuel pump to come in, but he hasn't mentioned anything else about other damage or it not being warrantied.
Obviously I won't be taking my truck back to this dealer for service.
I feel like they're giving me the run around, but how concerned should I be at this point? Truck ran perfect when I took it in, so that makes me optimistic. It is July in Texas, so I don't think its a winter fuel or gelling issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just spoke w/service manager, apparently fuel pumps are backordered until August 11th, so I'll be without my brand new truck for 2 months. Said he even called around to other dealerships in the area to see if they had one. I asked if this was a common problem, causing the backorder, he said it's very uncommon so they don't have many in stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They finally received and replaced the low pressure fuel pump, everything's fine now. Only took them 5 1/2 weeks...

·
Registered
2 Posts
nem99
I just had the same issue yesterday. I also live in Texas no water light. They say its going to cost me 11000 and I needed to file a claim with my insurance. I purchased my truck in July and have 2750 miles on it. Is this dealer in Rosenberg?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No my dealer is about two hours north of Rosenberg, they blamed the Ford hotline. Said they had another truck come in a couple of days before with the exact same problem, service manager speculated that there might have been a bad batch of low pressure fuel pumps. I've put nearly 2k miles on it since they replaced it and everything is fine.
Invested in a locking fuel cap and will buy all of my diesel from same station in town (unless traveling) and save receipts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well its going to cost 7000.00 dollars for repairs. I am in a no win situation I can't even get ford to return a phone call. So I had to claim it on insurance. Such as life there was "water in the tank" but the drain water alarm never came on...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2011 and had the same issue. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket fix for this to filter out the water better then the stock system. I plan on running Optilube xdp in the new truck when it gets here to help with the water demulsifier but it would be nice to not have to worry about water in the fuel system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Locking fuel cap

Stant 10510D Diesel Locking Fuel Cap $10-12 on Amazon
Space in between the Ts in the url because it wouldn't let me post it directly ht tp://a.co/7ylv1cc

You use key to unlock, then unscrew, then put key back in your pocket. Don't need key to relock it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar issue with a 2001 Duramax that I owned. Dealer blamed fuel injection pump explosion on water in fuel. About $3500. WIF light never came on so I filed complaint with bbb. I won my arbitration case and Chevrolet sent me a check for $2900- I had to pay for cleaning of fuel tank.
I sold that Truck and bought a 2003 super duty and put a tool box fuel tank combo in the bed with pump and filters. All fuel went into that tank and was pumped and filtered before going into truck tank. I still have that setup on my trailer now that I use to fuel my tractor with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey we are having the same issue with our 2015 F550 and it is now in the shop for the third time with low fuel pressure. The second time the shop had it for three months!! We are going to meet with an attorney and I am wondering if there is a class action lawsuit potential here...I would love to find out more info about your experience because we have been getting the run-around from day one and no one is willing to communicate with us so I suspect some sort of cover-up.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Since it hasn't been mentioned, how often are you folks doing fuel sample drains on your fuel tank?

Personally, I never let mine get below 1/8 tank and I always do a fuel sample the morning after I fuel up. I've drained water five times now since last December and the two stations I use have an extremely high turnover rate in this area and they are on top of their station and pump maintenance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my third Low Fuel Pressure warning in the last 6 months. 1st time truck disables after about a mile of the light coming on. Went into reduced power mode then just quit. Dealer followed the book and replaced/said the fuel filter was clogged even though the filter only had about 10k miles on it. 2nd time pretty much the same thing, had it towed in and they said it was the low pressure pump, back ordered three weeks. Dealer said they hadn't had many of these but had heard the low pressure pump failure rate was high, hence high demand and back order. 3rd time happened last night about a mile from home. Was able to make it to the house under reduced power.

I'm reading similar issues with other brands. I'm not a mechanic or design guy on this stuff but my gut is telling me that diesel tech with all the BS required these days is just too complicated, too many failure points and maintenance. Just isn't worth it, might go back to gas

·
Registered
799 Posts
I just got my third Low Fuel Pressure warning in the last 6 months. 1st time truck disables after about a mile of the light coming on. Went into reduced power mode then just quit. Dealer followed the book and replaced/said the fuel filter was clogged even though the filter only had about 10k miles on it. 2nd time pretty much the same thing, had it towed in and they said it was the low pressure pump, back ordered three weeks. Dealer said they hadn't had many of these but had heard the low pressure pump failure rate was high, hence high demand and back order. 3rd time happened last night about a mile from home. Was able to make it to the house under reduced power.

I'm reading similar issues with other brands. I'm not a mechanic or design guy on this stuff but my gut is telling me that diesel tech with all the BS required these days is just too complicated, too many failure points and maintenance. Just isn't worth it, might go back to gas
Maybe get a real mechanic to diagnose it instead of throwing parts at it....nothing too complex about the system imo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the smart *** answer. It must take real talent for such a profoundly deep thought. So profound my simple post sharing my thoughts with the hopes of someone in the community actually helping me were apparently lost on you. My apologies if I offended you and your diesel ways, but the truth is these things are time bombs when a simple failed sensor can cause a $10k repair bill. Or do you have a mechanic that can predict failure and cut your repair bill by 90%?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar problem my 2017 F350 was hard to start 2 weeks ago it started and the engine light came on. The next morning it did not want to start and then started I was on my way to the Ford house and the engine D rated. I have been waiting for 2 weeks now and they tell me that FORD is saying the fuel is contaminated with water but the light never came on this truck is 2 years old in October and has 30,000 miles on it and they are wanting me to file it on my insurance. I am trying to fight it but I need my truck back it has been almost 2 weeks now still no truck and FORD is taking their sweet time. Anyone else having problems like this

1 - 20 of 21 Posts