Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a plain and simple set of directions to connect some LED LIGHTS. Everything on line fairly complicated.

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
If you have the upfitter switches, you can attach one of the switch outputs to a feed through wire inside the cab. You can then attach to the feed through wire under the hood.

Personally, I would use a relay to power the LEDs and use one of the lower amperage switches. I would power the relay from the upfitter switch and have the power for the LED's coming from the battery. You can by one of the 30 amp relays and socket at most autoparts stores.

Here is a layout of the relay terminals.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding the upliffter switches if installed at the factory already have a relay associated with each switch

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also thought they have relays and fuses already. They are also rated amp wise to power the led lights. There should be a color coded bundle from the switches, and another color coded bundle through the firewall. For interior lighting, you can ignore the firewall bundle. For exterior lighting, you connect the switch wire to the firewall wire, and then your accessory to the firewall wire under the hood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
231Powerstroke!'s explanation is exactly what my understanding of the setup is. If you search these forms there is a wiring diagram that I have seen in the past.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I have the diagrams. Just not something I do everyday. The lights are on my new smittybuilt M1 bumper. I may mount a switch in the bed next to my bed LEDs. Probably better location anyway. If I need them on I probably be at the rear working on my broken mustang OR connecting the trailer.

·
Super Moderator
8,938 Posts
Your light bar will need to be under the amp draw to not have an issue with the fuses and upfitters. Larry is just giving info that is a safe bet to prevent fuse issues.

The upfitter blunt end wires in the cab can be connected to the pass thru wires. I recall they are a tad short so you may need to run additional wire to make it all work.

If you pull out the driver's side wheel liner it's easy to see the firewall grommet. There is a short piece that you can feed the wiring thru to the inside of the cab. Make sure you have a good grounding wire to whatever you are going to run. This may even mean adding additional ground cables or doubling up the existing grounds. The grounds are really easy to get to and not difficult to make sure you have a clean connection.

At this point you may be thinking "this is getting beyond simple" but some of it is based on experiences that achieve a better result in the end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just the thread I was looking for. Getting ready to install air bags and a compressor set up and after watching a dozen or so YouTube videos, was hoping for additional clarification from the gurus.

Surprising how many of the videos completely ignored the pass-through wires.

·
Super Moderator
8,938 Posts
To me the pass thru wires are just a tad undersized. Ford COULD have made they a tad longer to help with install work. I was able to feed my wiring thru the firewall after removing the driver's side wheel well liner and feeding thru the firewall grommet.

Just make sure you have good grounds wherever you connect to. The bed does tend to not make good connection at the frame across the whole bed area. I added extra grounding straps to both sides, cleaning the paint off, then protecting the connection with corrosion preventative. People just don't realize how important good grounding is with these new trucks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
To me the pass thru wires are just a tad undersized. Ford COULD have made they a tad longer to help with install work...
This is going far to easy on Ford Engineering/Management, man. This was a complete fail by Ford Engineering. This was done by engineers that have never gotten their hands dirty.

These wires in the upfitter and firewall pass through bundles should have ended in female connectors. The male half of these connectors with at least 6 inches of wire should have been in the glove box when the truck was sold.

Every time I work with these short wires in these tight spaces I want to waterboard a Ford engineer.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just the thread I was looking for. Getting ready to install air bags and a compressor set up and after watching a dozen or so YouTube videos, was hoping for additional clarification from the gurus.

Surprising how many of the videos completely ignored the pass-through wires.

Depending on what compressor setup you’re going with you might want to consider wiring it to a constant (with key) wire vs a switch. I use the wireless one from airlift and it constantly adjusts the pressure in the bag to match the pressure I’ve requested.

Unless you’re activating the compressor (to actually inflate the bags). Then I can see why you’d want it on a switch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same and am really confused.

Sorry to comment to an old thread, but I still need some help. I'm trying to hook up the airbag compressor also and I'm still confused. Everything is hooked up and ready except for the wiring connection.

The compressor is supposed to be hooked up to a 15 amp circuit. That's the #4 upfitter switch, which is supposed to be connected to a brown wire. I see that wire at the passthrough location, but what wire does that brown wire need to connect to on the inside of the cab. Or, am I missing something?

I sure would have thought that by installing those at the factory, there would be one place to plug in an accessory and be ready to rock.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sorry to comment to an old thread, but I still need some help. I'm trying to hook up the airbag compressor also and I'm still confused. Everything is hooked up and ready except for the wiring connection.

The compressor is supposed to be hooked up to a 15 amp circuit. That's the #4 upfitter switch, which is supposed to be connected to a brown wire. I see that wire at the passthrough location, but what wire does that brown wire need to connect to on the inside of the cab. Or, am I missing something?

I sure would have thought that by installing those at the factory, there would be one place to plug in an accessory and be ready to rock.

Those wires are inside the cab above the e-brake towards the firewall. I think there’s a label attached to indicate what is what.

·
Super Moderator
8,938 Posts
Those wires are inside the cab above the e-brake towards the firewall. I think there’s a label attached to indicate what is what.

And now the real pain of this install starts....LOL As above^^^^^^ PITA location but they are there.

·
Super Moderator
8,938 Posts

My suggestion: Pull the driver's side wheel well liner. You will see the firewall harness grommet that you can pass thru your own wiring. Then crawl under the dash, find the up-fitter wire rated as you need, wire direct.

I've never used the pass thru wires.....you will soon see why.:nerd::nerd:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My suggestion: Pull the driver's side wheel well liner. You will see the firewall harness grommet that you can pass thru your own wiring. Then crawl under the dash, find the up-fitter wire rated as you need, wire direct.

I've never used the pass thru wires.....you will soon see why.:nerd::nerd:
It looks like the previous owner must have done something in there. I can't actually find the four passthrough wires anyway. I can come through the firewall harness grommet like you suggest, but just can't seem to figure out which wire is the #4 switch that I want to connect to.

I looked at the wiring diagram at fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/ site, but ...

Is the wire bringing power FROM the #4 switch also supposed to be solid brown? Should I be trying to pull the switch panel off to see what wire is coming off that switch?

I'm usually pretty handy at this sort of thing, but I'm feeling like a total idiot today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I connected a light bar to the pass through wires and grounded light under the hood, connected pass through to upfitter switch and still now power to light. When I turn the switch on I am getting the amber light showing its on but getting nothing from the light.. Help Please!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts