Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a simpe question that probably will have a YES or a loooooooong answer...

Is a 6.7 2015 powerstroke engine a straight forward swap in a 2011 SD? The 2011 engine is out of business (broken valves) and we are looking for an upgrade, so we were thinking on swapping a 2015+ engine. Can we use the ECU of the 2011? Transmission? will all the 2011 features work when installing the new engine?

thanks a lot!!!

arriero4x4

·
Registered
866 Posts
They have different fuel system components, and different turbos, so yes but no. Is the donor motor soup to nuts, or what all comes with it?
@kaya , any suggestions?

If all your injectors are good put them in the exact same location, otherwise you need to program the IQA.
Need new high pressure fuel lines and get the updated injector hold downs if your pulling the injectors.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I would rebuild the 11 and do a 15 turbo upgrade and call it a day. The 11-12 transmissions are better then the 13+ also

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
I would rebuild the 11 and do a 15 turbo upgrade and call it a day. The 11-12 transmissions are better then the 13+ also
Define better since there are no issues with any of them. And the 11-14 was the same, they changed them in 15. But if they are not breaking in any of the trucks, then how is one better?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Transmission will stay the same. We were thinking on buying a complete 2015 6.7 and replace the 2011 one. Everything 2011 out, complete 2015 in. As the valve failed, we are afraid that if we just fix the 2011, valves will break again.

·
Registered
9,012 Posts
I wouldn't think the swap would be worth it.

Different fuel system, different turbo, and are the trucks the same configuration? I.E. packages, options, accessories etc?

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Personally, I don't see why you can't do the swap. The engine assembly sold by Ford as a replacement pn FC3Z6006C is listed for use in 2011-2016 trucks.

Engine for 2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty|FC3Z-6006-C : AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

If you search the 6.7 forums, you can find what parts are needed to replace the 2011-2014 turbo with the 2015-2016 turbo. There companies that sell kits to replace the early turbos. I understand some of the innercooler parts are different. This might be your only issue with the turbo since you are not replacing the 2011-2014 turbo but replacing the engine with one that has the turbo already mounted. If the water pump or alternator is different, then you can use the ones off the 2011 motor but they should be the same unless it is a dual alternator verses a single alternator. But even dual verses single, Ford has a bulletin on the parts to change from single to dual.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-160R2.pdf

As stated above, you will need to program the ECU/PCM for the injectors. The 2015 should have a sticker on one of the "valve covers"/intake manifold with the injector codes, if not, you may have to pull each injector and get the code off it or install the 2011 injectors. The injectors are the same from 2011-2016 just need left and right injectors.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...el-system-components-scat/?part_name=injector

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...el-system-components-scat/?part_name=injector

I think it is possible to do the swap. You will have the 2011 engine to get any parts off it that might be different. I say go for it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Larry. Do you know what are the 6.7 dimensions? Width, height and length? I know it weights 990 lbs.

Personally, I don't see why you can't do the swap. The engine assembly sold by Ford as a replacement pn FC3Z6006C is listed for use in 2011-2016 trucks.

Engine for 2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty|FC3Z-6006-C : AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

If you search the 6.7 forums, you can find what parts are needed to replace the 2011-2014 turbo with the 2015-2016 turbo. There companies that sell kits to replace the early turbos. I understand some of the innercooler parts are different. This might be your only issue with the turbo since you are not replacing the 2011-2014 turbo but replacing the engine with one that has the turbo already mounted. If the water pump or alternator is different, then you can use the ones off the 2011 motor but they should be the same unless it is a dual alternator verses a single alternator. But even dual verses single, Ford has a bulletin on the parts to change from single to dual.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-160R2.pdf

As stated above, you will need to program the ECU/PCM for the injectors. The 2015 should have a sticker on one of the "valve covers"/intake manifold with the injector codes, if not, you may have to pull each injector and get the code off it or install the 2011 injectors. The injectors are the same from 2011-2016 just need left and right injectors.

Injector for 2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty|BC3Z-9H529-B : AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Injector for 2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty|BC3Z-9H529-A : AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

I think it is possible to do the swap. You will have the 2011 engine to get any parts off it that might be different. I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Thanks Larry. Do you know what are the 6.7 dimensions? Width, height and length? I know it weights 990 lbs.
No, I do not know. I know it is big. LOL. I tried to Google the external size but could not find anything. Maybe you can visit your local Ford dealer and they might have one you can measure?

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Issues that I see:
2015 non wastegate turbo vs. 2011-2014 wastegate. The PCM will need to be tuned for this or the mil light will illuminate.
Egr cooler housing difference. You can swap the 2011 in. Or delete it. Wouldn't be a bad idea since you're already getting the PCM flashed for non wastegated turbo.
Hpfp difference. I can't say whether there will be any issues running the 2015 hpfp with a 2011 PCM. Probably want to disclose that to whoever tunes the PCM. I'm sure they can help you out on that.
Make sure the PCM pin out is the same from 2011-2015 before running the 2015 harness.
As mentioned, iqa's will need to be programmed as well.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head

Reactions: HLBeef

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Kaya. Question, whats the IQA?

Issues that I see:
2015 non wastegate turbo vs. 2011-2014 wastegate. The PCM will need to be tuned for this or the mil light will illuminate.
Egr cooler housing difference. You can swap the 2011 in. Or delete it. Wouldn't be a bad idea since you're already getting the PCM flashed for non wastegated turbo.
Hpfp difference. I can't say whether there will be any issues running the 2015 hpfp with a 2011 PCM. Probably want to disclose that to whoever tunes the PCM. I'm sure they can help you out on that.
Make sure the PCM pin out is the same from 2011-2015 before running the 2015 harness.
As mentioned, iqa's will need to be programmed as well.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Injector quantity amount

·
Registered
866 Posts
I remember this being done before... junkyard 15 motor into a 11 or 12.

Only reason to rebuild would be forged crank pistons etc

Reactions: arriero4x4

·
Registered
866 Posts

[
On my 12 the injector codes are on the CCV box. But that's only if none of them have ever been changed.
Better off to pull each one out and write the number down, BUT the high pressure fuel lines to each injector are not reusable AND the injector hold downs have been updater about 7x so I would get the newest ones available.

I would also say totally doable, and better off with a known running engine than a backyard rebuild. $.02

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Eh. I'd go with the '15 injectors personally. They'll likely have lower miles. You can find the iqa's on the top of injector body. No need to pull them. Just make sure they match the numbers on the ccv. And then have them programmed to your PCM afterwards.
As a precautionary, I'd remove the vcv from the hpfp and inspect the screen. Make sure there's no metal debris on it.
Also, drop the lower oil pan. Make sure no treasures are hiding in there. Always a good idea really. With any motor swap.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
97.000 miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
During startup, it performs a startup test. During the test, the known VIN is compared to what is in the PCM. If it does not match, it may prevent the truck from starting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts