Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

421 - 440 of 465 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Not sure what you are asking. The fix has been posted and discussed for quite some time. Only 1 person has reported it came back after 5,000 miles in over a year.

Don't know where and what trucks. 40-50.. new when? What years? Where?
If you are experiencing the issue, they replace the valves and do the flash. If you are not experiencing the issue, they will refresh the truck to prevent it from happening.

as you can guess I haven`t been here for quiet some time , located in Israel 2015 and 2016 trucks .

so they found the cure for all trucks ? ECM flash ?
If you are experiencing the issue, valves are replaced and then reflashed. If you are not, they will refresh to prevent it from happening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been reading this thread and decided to join so that I could offer some words of advice from an old timer. I have been around trucks for over 50 years and I have seen the good with the bad just like a lot of you. When I read this about the 6.7 engine it's discouraging. The 6.0 and 6.4 were blamed on International and while they were not innocent, the response from them was that Ford rushed the motor to market despite warnings that the systems were not fully vetted. OK, that's history now, we move on to the in house design and while a vast improvement, it still carries the same theme and this is the rub; I have watched the Ford intro videos where they show extensive testing being done and the accumulated miles they have put on these engines and trucks in testing . They released the video on the 2017 truck with the same theme as to durability testing and how tough the trucks must be. What doesn't make sense is that after their 2 million miles of accumulated testing, you guys find out in under 10,000 miles a problem that not only puts you and your families in danger, but it puts other people who have nothing to do with the truck at risk when these trucks act up. I find it hard to believe that through all their testing they didn't see this problem arise in at least a few of their tests and mules running around. Come on, are we to believe this is just something that popped up out of the blue and they never experienced it? You have paid full dollar for something that should deliver the peace of mind that a new vehicle promises and instead you end up with a tail chasing experience from the dealers until you finally nail them down to doing the work and then, the motor goes in for open heart surgery to repair the issue. I can't imagine how frustrating that is to know someone is tearing down your brand new truck as a flat rate mechanic is forced to try to make a living given half the time it takes to do a very thorough job. It's sickening. When you throw in the radiator leaks and the fuel system problems , both being blamed on the customer, not a design flaw I think the real problem begins to surface. The current batch of manufacturers has changed, Ford used to be the rock solid beast of a truck that would bring home the bacon while Chevy and Dodge got the job done but needed a rest. Today, Ram is in full fight mode putting out some decent trucks and Chevy is in their own way finding a way to do the same. When I see people write in that they will trade their trucks in and get a gas version it seems like a step into a more simpler set up but it only rewards Ford by taking a hit on your trade in and you still end up with buying a vehicle from a company that has clearly shown they won't take responsibility for a product flaw. I love the look of the Ford truck, in the past they worked like mules, but today, I am sad to say that company has changed and not for the better. I wish Ford would listen to your complaints and run in to show good faith but instead, they make you jump through hoops and send you out the door with stories and claims you are the only one experiencing the problem. My father retired and bought his "Last New Truck" and he has been blindsided by more nonsense from these guys than anyone could have imagined. His hopes were to go on cross country drives with a camper on the back and instead, he has been through hell trying to get everything from turbos to leaks to radiators, to performance issues to sensors. The list is long and sad.
I wish you guys the best and feel for you as you have done your part by working and being responsible to your families . You put your faith in a company that seems to forget who built it by buying their trucks for years and years. Our family is through with Ford as sad as that is to say and my dad is getting a different brand truck to try and finish his dream of traveling.
Good Luck guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just purchased a used 2015 and I think had this happen. However how do you know if the regeneration process is going on? I received no message in the message center but I can't tell if I should of received one. I am asking about TSB 16-0041. I am trying to determine if this could be my issue. Ford as the truck and is trying to reproduce the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1 week after buying a 2015 F350 superduty platnum with only 7,000 miles on the odometer the truck began shaking and shuddering violently along with engine knocking noises and loss off power at about 60 mph. I am now afraid to tow with this vehicle. I called the ford dealer service depart and had them diagnose the problem. The service tech said they found a service bulletin and know what the problem is. The tech said the repair is kind of a big deal and will take some time to repair.

I am now wondering why the previous owner got rid of the truck at only 7,000 miles on the odometer. I was not told of any prior issues with the vehicle and I purchase the almost new vehicle for $60,000. I originally was asking to be put into a brand new vehicle but the dealer kept saying that they were much more expensive than 60k. The dealer showed me the 2015 with only 7k on the odemeter and so I thought since it is at a Ford Dealership that I should be confident that this dealership would be legitamate and not sell me a defective vehicle.

The warrantee will be done in less than a year. It sounds like there is alot of damage being incurred when the violent shaking, shuddering, and engine knocking is going on so there is no telling what damage this is causing to the pistons and internal parts of the engine. So even when they fix the cause of the problem. The problem is very most likely already causing other problems due to damage of the valves and other internal parts, thus effecting the reliability and longevity of the vehicle and resale value. I have gone on-line and have seen many forums discussing the same issues with no solution from Ford. I am very worried that they are just putting a band aid on the original problem but wont address the damage to the engine caused by the original problem. I am currently waiting for the Ford service department to be done with repairs. How do I make sure that Ford will address any further problems caused by the original issue going into the future when the vehicle is out of warantee in less than a year.

Update. Ford dealer service removed the cab and opened the engine twice but the problem is still occurring. The service tech said they will need more time to figure it out. I think I want ford to just replace the entire engine... What do you guys think.

·
U.S. Army 68 - 71
237 Posts
Don't pass up the opportunity to get the dealship to replace the entire engine or take back the lemon and give you a deal on another truck. Ford builds 100,000s of these trucks and most are very reliable. Get them to honor the lemon law, you may need some legal advice but don't wait.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks BigFun. I'm going to let the service guys finish with truck. I'm worried because I have a trip from Washington to Los Angeles in two weeks. We are taking the kids to Disney Land. It was supposed to be a great opportunity to test out the new truck also. Im going to be towing a travel trailer. If it has problems on the trip I will just be losing value on the truck by putting more miles on it if it eventually gets a lemon law buy back. I really love the truck other than the jackhammering issue. I would rather they replace the engine with one that doesn't have the jackhammering issue. My dealer said this could be an option. I would be more assured by a completely new engine replacement because the Jackhammering can't be good at all for the engine and its longevity.

Another option can be is to replace the truck with another 2015 black platinum model with no jackhammering issue and the same amount of miles but that is unlikely. I wish they would give me a deal on a better truck but I cant go more than what I already paid for this truck.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Thanks BigFun. I'm going to let the service guys finish with truck. I'm worried because I have a trip from Washington to Los Angeles in two weeks. We are taking the kids to Disney Land. It was supposed to be a great opportunity to test out the new truck also. Im going to be towing a travel trailer. If it has problems on the trip I will just be losing value on the truck by putting more miles on it if it eventually gets a lemon law buy back. I really love the truck other than the jackhammering issue. I would rather they replace the engine with one that doesn't have the jackhammering issue. My dealer said this could be an option. I would be more assured by a completely new engine replacement because the Jackhammering can't be good at all for the engine and its longevity.

Another option can be is to replace the truck with another 2015 black platinum model with no jackhammering issue and the same amount of miles but that is unlikely. I wish they would give me a deal on a better truck but I cant go more than what I already paid for this truck.
--------
Alabama Lemon Law:

Alabama Lemon Law Basics
Many new autos have significant problems. If the problems affect the safety, market value or use of the vehicle, the consumer may be entitled to either a new auto or monetary damages, including lawyers' fees under Alabama's Lemon Law. There are certain rules and regulations that you must follow in order to file a Lemon Law claim in Alabama.

In Alabama, the Lemon Law claim must be made within the first year or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
The manufacturer must have an opportunity to repair the vehicle three (3) times, and one final time after notice is given.
The notice must be sent via certified mail.

-------

Lemon law won't cover you on this since the truck is older then 1yr/12k. This is one of the weaker states for lemon law coverage.

There is no engine damage being done by the jackhammering.. Nothing is happening with the pistons.. it is the exhaust valve sticking.

You state they have opened the motor up twice.. but you don't give many details. What have they done? Have they reflashed the truck? Have they replaced the head?

You can get an OASIS report from a Ford dealer on your VIN to see its history of warranty complaints/work done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought the truck a month ago. I am in Washington State.

I dont have many details. I was told that there was a TSB and they performed what the TSB says twice and the truck is still having the issue. The tech did mention a reflash per the TSB.

When the exaust valve is sticking it is violently jackhammering causing the entire vehicle to shake and shudder.

After 2 attemps at fixing the problem, would a 3rd attemt make any difference. I wasn't told what their next course of action is. I would hope they replace any broken part like the head. The force can't be good.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Your profile states Alabama.

Washington State lemon law:

You do not have to be the original owner to request arbitration. Later owners of a vehicle may request arbitration if the vehicle was purchased or leased:
within two years of delivery to the original retail consumer and within the first 24,000 miles of operation
the vehicle meets the other eligibility requirements and
A Request For Arbitration is received by the Lemon Law Administration within 30 months of the original retail delivery date.

82 Posts
Twice indicates the tech was not real thorough with what's going. The pistons sustain very little side effect. In some cases none as the valve is not experiencing a hard seizure. It's a momentary stiction. It sticks when the stem goes thru thermal expansion and "binds" in the valve guide that has inadequate stem to guide clearance. The spring is still trying to pull closed. The geometry used allows that piston to make contact but there is no huge resistance to this so valve closes without a huge deal.
If getting into a different truck is not an option, the best course if not another engine is either that head be sent out to a machine shop, have guide stem clearance run out to .004, preferably with the combustion chamber side of guide bell mouthed to .001-.0015. Alternatively a new head with the springs plulled to verify it has a stem to guide clearance of at least a loose .003. Most techs do not have the tools to measure, to calculate clearance so it's possible without performing service as outlined, it's a distinct possibility the third time might not be the charm.
Where there many diesel trucks at that dealership in the waiting to be repaired lot or all gasses?
I'm sorry you are having troubles but with the right tech or crap shoot, the problem can be rectified.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah that what I figured. I was told the tech has classes on Thursday and Friday and they have to go back to school to learn about the new Diesel engines...

I like this
"either that head be sent out to a machine shop, have guide stem clearance run out to .004, preferably with the combustion chamber side of guide bell mouthed to .0015-.001. Alternatively a new head with the springs plulled to verify it has a stem to guide clearance of at least a loose .003."

I didn't knotice if there were lots of Diesels waiting to be repaired. I was just so worried about my truck. They had lots of Used heavy duties on the lot. Mine was the lowest mileage newest and best looking of the Used heavy duties So I thought it was the best deal and was still under warrantee. Its a certified Used ford so I thought it would be perfect...

Thanks Maryland dieselnick and others on this forum. It makes me feel better that you guys care about each other superduty owners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you blwnsmoke. I really like the truck otherwise. It would be a shame to have to give it back. I really hope they can fix it rather then lemon law it. It would break my heart to have to start over and find another truck.

I would be interested to know if the TSB actually fixed anyones Jackhammering problem. I dont see any success stories. I wonder why.

82 Posts
It's not a commonly found phenomenon so a lot of techs have never seen it happen. Dealer techs very seldom get into those type of repairs so if knowledgeable on the subject, they probably read my work, had ford fill them in or they had an old dog like me tell them. This old man found the root cause, squared away a few and got the cure out, about 2 yrs. ago. The manufacturing problem seems to have gotten squared away almost a year ago. I no longer get consult calls for it or see new ones with it anymore but made in China, assembled in Mexico leaves plenty of room at anytime but it sure seems to have settled down for a while.
Great bunch of guys here looking out for owners. You are on a good forum.
Blownsmoke helped with that Lemmon Law for your state which was helpful. I didn't read it but if not outlined as posted, you may want to see how the original in service date factors in as some trucks can sit a good while before their original in service date starts. I also did not pay attention to miles however on the good moderator's post either soooo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just kept downshifting when it happened. Had the reflash done about 10,000 miles ago. Did it one more time after the reflash but with less intensity. Now at 30,000 miles the problem has disappeared. All mine fortunately happened when I was empty so wasn't a big deal to just ease off the pedal and downshift. I figure the motor is just broke in enough now that is doesn't happen anymore. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got my 2015 f350 plantnum truck back after 3 weeks. All seemed well on our trip to Disney Land. No shuddering or knocking. Was pulling about 5000 pounds with plenty of power. 12.6 mpg. 2,500 mile trip. The truck didn't hickup at all.

The only thing that happened was low on DEF. I put a 2.5 gallon Blue DEF and the guage still said we had only 200 mile range before the truck will be in limp mode. Turns out that you have to fill the DEF fully in order to reset the DEF guage. This is very inconvienent.

The DEF sensor is not like fuel sensor. It just tells you when its ok, below half, and below that gives you miles until limp mode. So you have to fill it up all the way full to reset the guage . Not good. Also the Tech at the Ford service said to buy the DEF at thier Service department becuase any other off the shelf DEF could have contaminants and will ruin the DEF systems. This doesn't help if you are in the middle of nowhere on a road trip.

What about truck filling stations? Are those safe to use? I really didn't expect this DEF hastle when I purchased the truck. Its very inconvenient.

Other than the DEF i really love the truck!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shaking and Loss of power

I purchased my 2016 F350 June 2016. Mine started shaking during regen at 2300 miles. I contacted my service rep at the dealer and when describing the problem he asked if it was during the regen process which it was. I made a appointment and they started with a software update which did not change anything. The dealership then preformed the service bulletin changing the valves and other parts as associated with the bulletin. That was at around 3300 miles. The problem went away or at least I thought it had until tonight, 8640 miles and I started to get the shaking again, not sure if was in regen or not because you have to be looking right at the display when it asks or you don't know for sure. I did down shift and the shaking stopped and power came back. Now I have to wonder wear to from here?

82 Posts
I purchased my 2016 F350 June 2016. Mine started shaking during regen at 2300 miles. I contacted my service rep at the dealer and when describing the problem he asked if it was during the regen process which it was. I made a appointment and they started with a software update which did not change anything. The dealership then preformed the service bulletin changing the valves and other parts as associated with the bulletin. That was at around 3300 miles. The problem went away or at least I thought it had until tonight, 8640 miles and I started to get the shaking again, not sure if was in regen or not because you have to be looking right at the display when it asks or you don't know for sure. I did down shift and the shaking stopped and power came back. Now I have to wonder wear to from here?
Ironic how you tou the word, " Wear", research al key rods on the internet, they all come back to me. I do not state that out of bravado. I have very limited time dropping in and out of forums. I have written extensive explanations on 6.7 rough/ shake, Thermal exhaust valve stiction issues. Educate yourself on them quickly.
Reach out to the Ford r on site. They tend to be extremely helpfully. Be aware; All Ford Dealers are independent dealers, that are given latitude to call, " initially shots", you need to make sure you have it in a real diesel shop, ( some will run 2 shifts), some will see 2 diesels a month.
Start reading and hold on!!
Not doom and gloom, trying to educate and show light.
It is a exhaust valve guide to stem clearance issue that can be rectified if done in the correct shop, with the right shop. Swappining out valves does ZERO!! Worst case, if you can inticipate regen, OR realize all of those gears have it living it at too low RPMs. Keep all RPMs up at all time, really up going into regen, clear the 25k-30k, Miles, and the stem to guide clearance will open up on its on by it self.
Starting to see this motor come into its own. You just have a tight one.
It'll be all right.
Referrance my tech essays.
Nick

·
Vendor
12,761 Posts
I have a local machine that I asked about this too and said the exact same thing as Nick. He's seen the issue well before anyone else, but never is on any forums.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

82 Posts
Ironic how you tou the word, " Wear", research al key rods on the internet, they all come back to me. I do not state that out of bravado. I have very limited time dropping in and out of forums. I have written extensive explanations on 6.7 rough/ shake, Thermal exhaust valve stiction issues. Educate yourself on them quickly.
Reach out to the Ford r on site. They tend to be extremely helpfully. Be aware; All Ford Dealers are independent dealers, that are given latitude to call, " initially shots", you need to make sure you have it in a real diesel shop, ( some will run 2 shifts), some will see 2 diesels a month.
It is a exhaust valve guide to stem clearance issue that can be rectified if done in the correct shop, with the right shop. Swappining out valves does ZERO!! Worst case, if you can inticipate regen, OR realize all of those gears have it living it at too low RPMs. Keep all RPMs up at all time, really up going into regen, clear the 25k-30k, Miles, and the stem to guide clearance will open up on its on by it self.
It'll be all right.
Nick
My long lost buddy, ...somefin' ASSAULT.
My fellow member. Absolutely rember you disparraging to unreal levels. I resolve it, all the while trying to help along way....proven, " yeah, he was right AND straightened it out for ALL".

Must have made blood boil for it to bring your best shot, huh?

Forum should be in good spirit

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
It'll be all right.
Nick
My long lost buddy, ...somefin' ASSAULT.
My fellow member. Absolutely rember you disparraging to unreal levels. I resolve it, all the while trying to help along way....proven, " yeah, he was right AND straightened it out for ALL".

Must have made blood boil for it to bring your best shot, huh?

Forum should be in good spirit
Did you mean to quote yourself because your reply to yourself doesn't make sense?

Ones who have been following this issue know what the cause is. I remember reading your posts quite a while ago and they were stating it is causing engine damage.. and the valves were hitting pistols etc etc. It sounds like you are changing your tune now because I don't see you ever saying that this is causing engine damage.. now quite the opposite "it will be fine, keep rpms up".. quite the change in response from one who was seeing tons of these in their shop and such a POS motor from Ford.

Just saying...

421 - 440 of 465 Posts