Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New to the site so this is my first post so please be patient with me. I have recently purchased a 2015 f250 lariat fx4 6.7 srw crew cab short bed with 228k miles on it. Truck is from Texas and well taken care of by the look of it. Hardly any scratches and interior is in pristine condition. Does not have a hitch in the bed so I’m assuming it hasn’t pulled a lot. It is bone stock. Has had a fuel contamination kit installed at around 100k with injectors and such. My question to you is what do you think I need to check or replace before something bad happens. I am already planning on replacing any kind of fluid that is on the truck. Including differentials, coolant, oil, etc. do you recommend any fluid additives for tranny or any thing else. Do I need to be worried about glow plugs falling apart and ruining the motor? Or the dpf system failing? Should I delete dpf/def? Any response is greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

·
Registered
349 Posts
The delete question is kind of an iffy one at the moment. Most tuners are only offering emission compliant tuning at this point. There are still guys out there doing it but a little more difficult to find.

Your glow plug issue was more on the very early build 2011s and possibly 2012s.

I believe you should be good to go but people with more insight will be touching base I'm sure soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,941 Posts
do you recommend any fluid additives for tranny or any thing else. Do I need to be worried about glow plugs falling apart and ruining the motor?
No to both of the above, just use OE fluids and go another 225k. Other than using a fuel additive with every full tank fill up to prevent/limit the HPFP issues starting up.

Or the dpf system failing?
Your best bet is to monitor the system. There's two ways: Get the dash screen updated to show DPF% or use and Edge Insight 2 device to follow the PIDs. 228k seems a bit past what is described as the OE life of the DPF. If it's all original then just drive it as you normally would, just watch the % so you know when the regen is going to happen.

With all that remember anything can happen, nothings perfect. 2015-2016's were the years Ford changed a few things prior to the 2017 AlumiDuty so it's been a good model year to pick up a truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The delete question is kind of an iffy one at the moment. Most tuners are only offering emission compliant tuning at this point. There are still guys out there doing it but a little more difficult to find.

Your glow plug issue was more on the very early build 2011s and possibly 2012s.

I believe you should be good to go but people with more insight will be touching base I'm sure soon.
do you recommend any fluid additives for tranny or any thing else. Do I need to be worried about glow plugs falling apart and ruining the motor?
No to both of the above, just use OE fluids and go another 225k. Other than using a fuel additive with every full tank fill up to prevent/limit the HPFP issues starting up.

Or the dpf system failing?
Your best bet is to monitor the system. There's two ways: Get the dash screen updated to show DPF% or use and Edge Insight 2 device to follow the PIDs. 228k seems a bit past what is described as the OE life of the DPF. If it's all original then just drive it as you normally would, just watch the % so you know when the regen is going to happen.

With all that remember anything can happen, nothings perfect. 2015-2016's were the years Ford changed a few things prior to the 2017 AlumiDuty so it's been a good model year to pick up a truck.
Thank you both for the replies and tips. All advice taken and appreciated!!! I will definitely look into the dash screen update. What is the worst that can happen if the dpf actually goes out?

·
Super Moderator
9,941 Posts
Worst case is you pony up the cash for a NIB DPF from Ford.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok. I just wasn’t sure if it failed if it would or could take anything else out with it
240k on my 6.7. Never an issue. If it were me, I wouldn't go crazy with the fluids. Anytime I changed rear end fluid in anything I was putting a new rear end in it within a couple thousand miles... (And a few times,a few hundred miles..with the additives,etc) Pickup trucks, race cars, medium duty Trucks. (Yes, I used the additives!)

I deleted my truck. Mileage went from terrible to slightly better. I get 16 instead of 13 now, throttle feels like it's a turbo diesel pickup truck, it was a dog before. (My 05 Duramax has 400k miles and gets 23 empty and 18 pulling 10,000, I **** you not..I don't think the new emissions motors will ever keep up)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts