Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 F350 Crew XLT 35s 2 in ready lift
So I have had to take to Ford for warranty fix and then recently DEF heater Recall to be fixed. Each time I get it back it magically comes up with issues that day or the next depending on when I picked it up. This time now when you drive it sometime it will sow loose on the steering and your have to constantly correct and feels like something is loose and not catching. It happened to my wife a few times but when she brought it to me it would be fine. SO I thought that its the wife over exaggerating since its a truck. But it happened to me pulling my boat so I read and thought it might be the Pitman Arm Nut 1" 13/16 But I bought that huge socket and could not break it loose.
I have a picture of what it looks like and they want to charge 220 to replace the nut. My question is if that should be the problem. On my other trucks when it was a steering thing it was all the time and I was able to fix it. but this is not all the time and this "nut" thing is new to me. I broke ratchets, Prybar ratchet and could not break it loose so I am looking to have dealer do it. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.
(took lift part off to gain access that is why its off and the bolt in question is that of the top of photo) Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interested/thread-bump/info...

More experienced people will chime in but... the nut is either loose or not, the pitman arm has grooves that hold it in place to the grooves of the steering gear box. The nut (which has a proper name but lets call it the nut) just keeps it from sliding off, not keep it from skipping grooves. It could be the steering box is wearing out internally? For me, after i did my lift on my truck it introduced a sluggish feel, almost like driving a couch with delayed steering, but would bump steer... it ended up i needed a better/new steering stabilizer damper.

I doubt its the grooves on the steering box / pitman, but could jack it up and have someone turn one way or another and someone resists. But i really doubt its the grooves. More maybe the steering box its self or stabilizer.

Again... lets wait for more experienced folks to chime in... Oh, as for taking it off... i was never able to until i used an impact, which is what you dont want to use on it. But after a few hours and pb-blaster at 1-2am... i took a chance. Ended up just having to cleant the threads a tad. For an '05 SD it's 350 ftlbs to put back on. I assume its for yours as well... never re-use the old.. always put a new one back on. Something along the lines of the threads when being torqued to 350 and its not tight the 2nd time around etc..

·
Registered
184 Posts
I recently had my truck started to feel loose and sometimes will feel like something poop loose and the truck will be all over the road. Check suspension and everything was fine. But found out my passenger side front u joint was bad. Lost bearing on one of the u joint and when it locks up. It makes my truck pull and loose like crazy on the road. You may want to check your.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts