Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 f250 6.7 4x4 crew cab 8ft bed. Ok, let's start off with what it is not. Track bar bracket all 5 bolts properly torqued, track bar bolt torque at 405lb. Pitman arm nut at 350lb. I bought a 4ft 3/4 torque wrench for this. All new ball joints, new tie rods, 6 inch lift 37s, new redhead steering box, I Carli track bar, pmf drop bracket and arm, bilstein 5100, superlift radius arms new all torque to 250lb. New coil spring. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN TAKEN OFF AND INSTALL 2 TIMES. Even thought it was track bar drop bracket rubbing and tried spacers. Nothing is working. It makes popping sound when I am turning wheel to left, had wife turn it and I felt the vibration on the frame by steering box. I read somewhere it could be rivets but isn't that tsb for older models 97s. Please help, took to alignment shop but they could not figure out. It's not mounts or ball joints. Have taken to 2 different shops and both gave up on finding it, they only listen though did not take anything off. I have felt the 2 tabs on frame in-between the 3 power steering box mount bolts and don't feel nothing there. I only feel a small vibration on the inside frame neat power steering box. If you look from the top it looks like it is moving just the tiny bit, can't tell if frame is moving with it. Please help. If you come up with a solution or what is loose I'll venmo/ cash app, I promise. When I jack it up it doesn't make sound.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
A lot of twisting force on that left frame rail when the steering is turned -- have you looked closely at the bracing for movement? Also look at the cross member where it mounts to the frame.

This could be difficult to pinpoint, since the movement can be very small

·
Administrator
32,119 Posts
Anytime i get a pop while turning i know it is the upper track bar slipping in the drop mount
not sure if you have stock or aftermarket but really focus on that bolt even make some scribe marks to see if it moves because when it does it hits the opposite side of the bracket and creates the pop sound

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm going to have to take the battery out some how and look from up top.its definitely not track bar. I thought it was that too but everything is tight and not moving. What bracing are you talking about? I have looked at cross member and still can't find anything.

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
Jacking it off the ground removes the weight, hence no noise. Did you try to lay under the front and have someone turn the wheel lock-to-lock listening for the noise??

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is gonna sound crazy but it happened on my 2014 F350. Get under your truck and watch the ball joint end of the track bar, then have someone turn your wheel quickly lock to lock on the side that makes it do the popping sound. See if the ball joint moves. I tried not and factory replacement ball joints and they all did this on my truck, so I ended up getting the PMF track bar with the heim joint that replaces the ball joint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I solved it, turns out my frame is bent. Since steering box moves side to side, I'm I decided to take a bottle Jack and put it at the front of my truck where the eyehooks are and turn it sideways and spread the frame apart a 3/8 of an inch got in my truck turned it on turned it no pop and sound so I put some angle iron in between my frame and spread it apart and mounted it with some boats and put it in between the frame and now problem is solved

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I did not see that coming

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Ok I solved it, turns out my frame is bent. Since steering box moves side to side, I'm I decided to take a bottle Jack and put it at the front of my truck where the eyehooks are and turn it sideways and spread the frame apart a 3/8 of an inch got in my truck turned it on turned it no pop and sound so I put some angle iron in between my frame and spread it apart and mounted it with some boats and put it in between the frame and now problem is solved
How did you determine the frame is bent? -- may need to check mine

Has your truck been wrecked? -- been in the ditch?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts