Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the group here, so thanks for having me. Been working on my own vehicles for as long as I can remember. Which might be yesterday.

The A/C in my truck quit working the other day. It's hard to tell if the compressor is engaging or not. Hooked up the gauges and found 40 on the low side and 50 on the high side. Past experiences have always been with compressors that have blown apart or seized up, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Thoughts on what to check?

·
Registered
45 Posts
50 on the high side feels very low. Can you see your clutch engaging or hear it kick on? Needles should jump on your gauges when it does so - sounds like either a bad compressor/clutch not engaging or a blockage somewhere in the system. Check the compressor clutch first as it is easier and a pretty reliable diagnosis step.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Fan come on when you engage the AC? If not, easy check to tell you it's not working.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Newbie to the group here, so thanks for having me. Been working on my own vehicles for as long as I can remember. Which might be yesterday.

The A/C in my truck quit working the other day. It's hard to tell if the compressor is engaging or not. Hooked up the gauges and found 40 on the low side and 50 on the high side. Past experiences have always been with compressors that have blown apart or seized up, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Thoughts on what to check?
What is the temperature where you are? -- Does the center of the AC clutch rotate?? -- by hand and with the engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I can't turn the compressor clutch by hand. And it looks and sounds the same while running with A/C on or off.

I'm thinking new compressor....

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Well, I can't turn the compressor clutch by hand. And it looks and sounds the same while running with A/C on or off.

I'm thinking new compressor.... View attachment 766039
Duude ...is that a pic of your AC clutch??
that clutch is totally shot .. look at the melted rubber coupling ...and the center is off to one side

1 - 10 of 10 Posts