Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Yall,
So today I test drove a 2011 f350 4 door short wheel base with the lariat package. I also drove a pretty much the same 2015. The dealer said the 2011 had a bad turbo on arrival and they replaced it.
Surprisingly the 2011 seemed a little more powerful and snappy. I drove each truck around about a 10 mile loop, and tried to drive each truck the same. I reset the mpg setting in each truck as I left the dealership. The 2011 said it was getting 14.8mpg when we returned. The 2015 said it was only getting 12mph. Can there really be that big of a difference in mpg? I would have thought the 2015 would feel more powerful and get better MPG, but it was the other way around.
Anyone have any thoughts or reasons why this was the case?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,306 Posts
Don't believe the dash MPG numbers.

As far as the "power" when driving that's on you. My 2015 modded has plenty of pull on the low end BUT has a tad bit of lag. That's just the nature of the OEM turbo. It's there for pulling/towing not drag racing.
I've never driven an 11-14 to compare myself just to be clear.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
If you can afford the 15, get it. The reason why the 11 felt more powerful/quicker was because of the turbo design. It essentially has 2 impellers to help with spool time. If you get the 11 and plan to mod it, the new turbo could be on borrowed time depending what tune you would run. The 15 has the better turbo design, and guys with the 11-14 trucks often swap to a 15+ turbo and HPFP.

Like Heavy said, the dash numbers aren't accurate. It also comes down to your right foot depending where you want to be for MPG.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize it all depends on how I drive the truck, but what kind of fuel milage can i expect to get out of the 15 with just decent normal driving, highway and in town? To be honest the fuel mileage I seen on my test drive kinda scared me off a bit on that particular truck.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
15 uses more fuel by design. = more HP/TQ and more reliable turbo with the tradeoff of spool up lag.

Make sure the '11 is late release. Very early ones had some valve issues. I don't think the turbo is necessarily 'bad' on the 11-14 so long as you run stock configuration and keep the pressure at 20psi or less. Higher pressure tunes will over spool and burn up the ceramic bearings.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Talking about MPG, you do realize it's a truck right? Diesel's get better mileage than gassers but they're still not a Prius.

·
Super Moderator
9,306 Posts
'15 should see about 14 City...maybe touch 18 HWY. Those are dependent on your local area.

Modded trucks can generally see a solid 16+ city and easily over 18 HWY.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talking about MPG, you do realize it's a truck right? Diesel's get better mileage than gassers but they're still not a Prius.
Haha, of course I realize it is a truck! However, I still expect to get decent MPG For a Truck. I'm not expecting anything crazy but 15ish would be good. Definitely don't want to be in the 11 range. You hear all these people claiming 20 or more out of their diesels. I don't expect that. Just something decent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got a 15 F350 SRW. 3.55 Rear end.

Bear in mind I've only had the truck about 2 Months, but have put about 4K miles on it, pretty even mix of 5th wheel towing, Highway, and city Driving.

City, I average about 10 - 11 mpg. But I have a heavy foot.

Towing the 10K lb 5th wheel, I get between 9.5 and 11.5 at 65 - 70 mph. Depending on where a regen falls when I check my mileage. I could maybe push 12mpg towing if I kept it at 60 and didn't have a regen.

Highway unloaded I have the least info on, but i've got 17.5 on one occasion and 16 ish on another.

I had hoped for better economy, but thats just the nature of the beast.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Haha, of course I realize it is a truck! However, I still expect to get decent MPG For a Truck. I'm not expecting anything crazy but 15ish would be good. Definitely don't want to be in the 11 range. You hear all these people claiming 20 or more out of their diesels. I don't expect that. Just something decent.
Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG Statistics shows the 2015 gets 2% lower mileage on average.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have had both setups. Blew my 2013's turbo up so I upgraded to a 2017+ retrofit turbo kit plus a 2015+ HPFP. No questions asked, the 2015 setup is a better truck in every way. Better mileage, better power, better driving experience overall. The ONLY downside is the turbo doesn't spool up quite as fast but it just pulls my boat so much easier than the 2013 setup.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

·
Super Moderator
9,306 Posts
2% MPG difference...LOL...not to mention how people refuel (ie filling to the cap or stopping at the first click off) will vary across the board.

But you know the Fuelly App is the God's word for fuel usage......That's sarcasm by the way.

All you really did was demonstrate that the two configurations are soooooo DAMN close to one another to show your claim of:
15 uses more fuel by design.
doesn't really hold any water.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 2015 dually has the FX4 ultimate package and it stays in the 9-10 range with fuel. Oh wait, yea that’s probably my heavy foot. I just love when the dodges and Chevys try and keep up with me when I’ve got a normal load on (20-27K lbs). My brother in law even said the new fords are the better trucks hands down. He’s driven dodge all his life and just recently bought a brand new High Sierra dually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
He’s driven dodge all his life and just recently bought a brand new High Sierra dually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel bad for him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha! Thanks guys, all good info!
Isn't there something also with the 2015 that a few of them had issues when they changed the fuel delivery system?? Seems like I have read that somewhere before in this forum but not sure where. Maybe just a few in a certain VIN range or something.

·
Registered
95 Posts
How on earth did you get such low mpg? I have a 2011 F350 lariat and i could mat the thing all around town and get those numbers. I drive about 50/50 highway (60mph) and city (45mph or lower) and get 19-21 in the summer depending on idle time, and 16-18 in the winter also depending HEAVILY on idle time lol I like to let it warm to 100 on oil temp. Even my old 7.3L got better than the numbers you got using real gallons in to miles driven the 7.3L got 16-17 mpg with the 525 ft/lbs. motor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How on earth did you get such low mpg? I have a 2011 F350 lariat and i could mat the thing all around town and get those numbers. I drive about 50/50 highway (60mph) and city (45mph or lower) and get 19-21 in the summer depending on idle time, and 16-18 in the winter also depending HEAVILY on idle time lol I like to let it warm to 100 on oil temp. Even my old 7.3L got better than the numbers you got using real gallons in to miles driven the 7.3L got 16-17 mpg with the 525 ft/lbs. motor.
My mileage in the '16:crying: isn't that good either.

The "lie-o-meter" averages it out and I get anywhere from 12 to 15 MPG depending on how much I press on the fun pedal

·
Registered
329 Posts
My dash says i get 11-13. city driving. It got worse after i deleted a tad. I don't really care though. I don't put a ton of miles on. 15-16s get a tad worse fuel milage it seems due to the increased power.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've got a 14 dually 2WD with 3.73 gears. With mostly city I get 14 mpg. It jumps to 17-18 on the highway running 70 mph.

Tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts