Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I can't find a precise answer.

I bought a 2011 KR used a few years ago. Love the truck, but I'm still a bit confused about one issue.

1. I have the tailgate with built in step and handle. The tailgate is very heavy.

2. I installed the Deezee assist, which helps lowering the tailgate, so it doesn't slam. Of course that does nothing for the raising.

3. Since I bought it used, I assumed the torsion rod/spring broke at some point before I got the truck.

4. You can find diagrams of the torsion rod, for 2014s and newer.

5. I'm beginning to think that the 2011s never had a torsion rod at all, and the tailgates are just heavy that way even when brand new. That doesn't bother me, just trying to fully understand my truck.

So, can someone confirm once and for all, do the 2011s with step and handle tailgates come with a built in torsion rod with spring, or are they just heavy? Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2014 and the tailgate is heavy, I don’t think any of them are “easy”. My ecoboost tailgate was about 1/4 the weight of my SD.

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
Maybe you guys need some C4 before you drive....just takes a few scoops. LOL

My 2015 isn't "light"...definitely not a one finger lift to close gate. I even removed the stripper pole panel for the flat panel.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My 17 (I think) tailgate is heavy as [email protected]#&. It came with the torsion rod, but I didn't use it. If the tg needed a new driver side hinge, then it has the rod.
On mine, The rod "keeper plate" bolts broke off and I haven't tried to pull them, or look up the pn to replace it. But closing it sure is a task compared to a non-step gate.
Edit, mine was a swap to an 06. The torsion bar mounts with a rectangular mount on the driver's side, instead of just a "cup".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts