Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealership has a 2011 Super Duty event today, to get a "sneak peek" and a chance to win a 42" TV and $10K in Ford accessories.

Does anyone have any specific questions they want asked? Any requests on details, specific pics? I won't be crawling on the ground looking under the truck, so don't ask for any pics of anything under neath.

They are claiming one of the first dealers in the country to offer a sneak peek. I'll report my impressions tomorrow.

·
Registered
611 Posts
i wanted to order a 2011... dealer two weeks ago said he'd know something in a few days about eta.. still nothing. Im just scrapping the idea of a 2011 f550 crew cab since we'd never have it for the spring period.

·
Registered
612 Posts
What kind of tv???? :rofl:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, they had a pre-production truck there. It was an XLT with FX4 trim package, F350 6.7 Diesel. He has driven it for almost 2 months, mainly between St. Louis, Chicago and Milwaukee.

It didn't have the 4" LCD, but not a big deal. All the trucks delivered to this particular dealership will have the 4" LCD

The truck sounded NICE!! Probably not good for the people who like the clack of a diesel.

The locking differential, looks sweet!! I wish my '08 had that.

One new thing I did not know about, but sounds great is the oil life monitoring system. The system monitors how the vehicle has been driven and will tell you when the oil needs to be driven. It can range from 4,000 miles under severe conditions to 15,000 under really light conditions.

The average MPG's that he has seen is 18 MPG. He said he drives the truck hard!! With lots of Chicago traffic. And to take into consideration that he doesn't have to pay for fuel, so he doesn't look to get good MPG's.

DEF, I won't re-hash all we've heard about alarms etc. It is true, that the truck will shut down if you go too long without filling. One interesting thing is there is a one time "reset", which he called a mulligan. You can reset it and override the system to drive the vehicle to somewhere you can fill up with DEF.

Ford was going to make the decision last night to release the truck for sale or not. I haven't looked to see if they did release it to be sold or not. This particular dealership was looking to get the new trucks to be delivered in the next 2 - 3 weeks if Ford released the trucks for sale last night.

One thing that he did say. Ford understands they have put out some questionable Diesel products in the last few years. So they know they need to hit this one out of the park.

·
Registered
230 Posts
OK, they had a pre-production truck there. It was an XLT with FX4 trim package, F350 6.7 Diesel. He has driven it for almost 2 months, mainly between St. Louis, Chicago and Milwaukee.

It didn't have the 4" LCD, but not a big deal. All the trucks delivered to this particular dealership will have the 4" LCD

The truck sounded NICE!! Probably not good for the people who like the clack of a diesel.

The locking differential, looks sweet!! I wish my '08 had that.

One new thing I did not know about, but sounds great is the oil life monitoring system. The system monitors how the vehicle has been driven and will tell you when the oil needs to be driven. It can range from 4,000 miles under severe conditions to 15,000 under really light conditions.

The average MPG's that he has seen is 18 MPG. He said he drives the truck hard!! With lots of Chicago traffic. And to take into consideration that he doesn't have to pay for fuel, so he doesn't look to get good MPG's.

DEF, I won't re-hash all we've heard about alarms etc. It is true, that the truck will shut down if you go too long without filling. One interesting thing is there is a one time "reset", which he called a mulligan. You can reset it and override the system to drive the vehicle to somewhere you can fill up with DEF.

Ford was going to make the decision last night to release the truck for sale or not. I haven't looked to see if they did release it to be sold or not. This particular dealership was looking to get the new trucks to be delivered in the next 2 - 3 weeks if Ford released the trucks for sale last night.

One thing that he did say. Ford understands they have put out some questionable Diesel products in the last few years. So they know they need to hit this one out of the park.

Have you heard if they released them yet or not?

·
Registered
255 Posts
You are not going to get 18mpg's unless you are idleing down a 18 mile hill. 400hp, 8k weight does not equal 18mpg. Maybe you can get 18 in a 7.3 non turbo.

·
Berm Buster
527 Posts
You are not going to get 18mpg's unless you are idleing down a 18 mile hill. 400hp, 8k weight does not equal 18mpg. Maybe you can get 18 in a 7.3 non turbo.
most of them guys testing the trucks claimed over 20mpg. I dont see 18mpg being a problem at all.

·
Registered
409 Posts
We regularly get 18 mpg highway with my old mans 02 7.3L with a 6 speed. :dunno:

And yes, that's hand calculated.

·
Registered
612 Posts
High pressure multi injection system, (GM also using identical) will make the difference in mpgs, no more beautiful (but expensive) black smoke, instead will be exchanged for tq/hp. The market states that performance sells, it will be a balancing act between performance/economy. However when I chipped my 7.3 for more hp, my mileage went up, when I drove it like a ...a.... well reasonable. So better performance really is better use of fuel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ford is expecting at least 20% better MPG's, his words. They better get better MPG's then my 6.4, cause with a 26 gallon tank fill-ups will be far too frequent, especially towing.

Ohh, 5.1 gallon DEF tank, expected fill interval is about the oil change interval.

I did open the fuel door and took off the cap for the DEF tank. There really should NOT be an issue with accidental filling of the wrong fluid in the wrong place.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My 7.3 gets excellent mileage, way above 20. Actually, it falls to about 21 or so in the winter... (unloaded, 33" tires, 3.73 gears, economy tune, bed cover, light foot, :thumb:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts